TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some WWII Aircraft Facts

I am in awe at the commitment, dedication and capability of our Armed Forces. I wish I could thank each and every one of them for the amazing job they do.

Take a look at some interesting facts and figures from WWII.

John

WWII Aircraft Facts and Figures

WWII Aircraft Facts:

No matter how one looks at it, these are incredible statistics. Aside from the figures on aircraft, consider this statement from the article: On average 6600 American service men died per MONTH, during WWII (about 220 a day).

Most Americans who were not adults during WWII have no understanding of the magnitude of it. This listing of some of the aircraft facts gives a bit of insight to it.

276,000 aircraft manufactured in the U.S.

43,000 planes lost overseas, including 23,000 in combat.

14,000 planes lost in the continental U.S.

The U.S. civilian population maintained a dedicated effort for four years, many working long hours seven days per week and often also volunteering for other work. WWII was the largest human effort in history.

Statistics from Flight Journal magazine.

THE COST of DOING BUSINESS

---- The staggering cost of war.

THE PRICE OF VICTORY (cost of an aircraft in WWII dollars)

B-17 $204,370. P-40 $44,892.

B-24 $215,516. P-47 $85,578.

B-25 $142,194. P-51 $51,572.

B-26 $192,426. C-47 $88,574.

B-29 $605,360. PT-17 $15,052.

P-38 $97,147. AT-6 $22,952.

PLANES A DAY WORLDWIDE

From Germany's invasion of Poland Sept. 1, 1939 and ending with Japan 's surrender Sept. 2, 1945 --- 2,433 days. From 1942 onward, America averaged 170 planes lost a day.

How many is a 1,000 planes? B-17 production (12,731) wingtip to wingtip would extend 250 miles. 1,000 B-17s carried 2.5 million gallons of high octane fuel and required 10,000 airmen to fly and fight them.

THE NUMBERS GAME

9.7 billion gallons of gasoline consumed, 1942-1945.

107.8 million hours flown, 1943-1945.

459.7 billion rounds of aircraft ammo fired overseas, 1942-1945.

7.9 million bombs dropped overseas, 1943-1945.

2.3 million combat sorties, 1941-1945 (one sortie = one takeoff).

299,230 aircraft accepted, 1940-1945.

808,471 aircraft engines accepted, 1940-1945.

799,972 propellers accepted, 1940-1945.

I was fortunate enough to see the only remaining B-29 that flies in the entire world......and I saw that puppy just yesterday. She flew directly over my head at a low altitude. There's nothing like the sound of those engines.

I was at an air show and was stunned to learn that that B-29 bomber was the only one in existence that currently flies. I also saw a P-51 Mustang, Corsair, T-6 Texan, a B-25 Mitchell bomber, A-10 Thunderbolt (warthog), and the F-18 super hornet.

Awesome stuff.

Lat Sept. I was fortunate to have my SGT photographed with a P-51D in the hanger that housed the Enola Gay B-29 that dropped the first atominc bomb on Japan. Thhe crew trained in total secrecy at the Wendover UT, AAF on the western edge of the salt flats. The Enola Gay was housed and modified in this hanger. The practice bomb runs were made to the Salton Sea area of southern Cal. from here. The entre air base is now being restored as a National Historic place. Thye Atomic Museum is trying to acquire a B-29 for a static display, painted as the Enola Gay. :salute:

:headscratch: I am curious. Why is Canada never mentioned?

My father saw action during WWII from 1939 to 1946. Tens of thousands of Canadian soldiers gave their life for about five years before the US entered WWII.

How come there rarely is a mention of Canada's involvement in any of your text books? I went to school in the US from grade 4 to grade 11. Seldom was Canada mentioned in any History books.

I served a few suspensions school due to the teachers had no idea Canada was in WWII. The called me a liar.

I would love to know what my father said to the principle. :censored:

Dad got medals for service in Germany, France, Holland, Dieppe, England and more but I'll stop there.

http://www.junobeach.org/e/2/can-eve-mob-die-e.htm

In Dieppe, he was injured, played dead while the "Enemy" kicked and shot the men who lay still .

Dad was a Green Beret. One tough SOB.

My brother has his pay book. Every pay he got, was sent to his mother. For seven years. :happy feet:

He shot the enemy from the top of a bridge at night, breathed through a tube all day, while his body was under water.

watch the movie "Bridge to Far".

He lost part of his foot from a "Bouncing Betty", walked a dozen plus miles with part of his foot missing, before getting medical treatment.

Please don't misinterpret my comments. I had two brother that got drafted by the US gov. weeks after my family received residency in the US.

Two brothers went to Viet Nam,

One is still here. One is not.

They call it Agent Orange. He got two Cancers for his six years of service in Vietnam for our freedom, while some Americans were running to Canada to escape the US draft. He was 59 years young when he passed away.

I want to thank all the soldiers, American, Canadian, British and all the Nationalities that we owe our freedom to.

Rant over.

Just want to add - Youngest Naval Aviator in the US Navy to that date (an all I believe) at the age of 18 - ENSIGN George H. W. Bush - Commissioned on 09 June 1943, 3 days before his 19th Birthday.

And cannot go forward without saying during World War II, there were over 325,000 Seabees. US Navy Today is only - 328,000 approximately. HOORAH!!!

The Seabee built some amazing things in the Island hopping campaign. On Espiritu Santo, Seabees built a 6,000-foot (1,800 m) airstrip from virgin jungle in only 20 DAYS. Wherever the Marines are the Seabees are not far Behind/Alongside the Marines. Even to this day.

Just Remember – “The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.”

Thank you all those that serve their country in uniform. We are all a small group, especially in an all volunteer service.

Archived