TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What'S the value of this 1968 Shelby ?

I love my 2011 Shelby GT500, but know nothing about older cars including older Shelby.

Last spring, I was at my parent's house, and there was a visitor in the neighborhood. In fact, my parent's neighbor, own a body shop and once in a while he rebuilt old cars for himself, or for any other person willing to pay for the job.

So back last spring, here's what he brings out of his garage......after a complete rebuilt/repaint job:

How much it could worth ? All I know is that all numbers match, and it's a 1968 Shelby...

dsc0015rqa.jpg

dsc0014iq.jpg

dsc0013lc.jpg

dsc0012ro.jpg

dsc0011jem.jpg

dsc0010ww.jpg

dsc0009ku.jpg

dsc0008su.jpg

dsc0007aj.jpg

dsc0006syj.jpg

So, this is a numbers matching 1968 Shelby GT350 convertible? Depending on the mileage and options, that could bring $30 to $40k on a good day. But, I'm not an expert on the subject.

If this was the case, I will pay $30 to $40k right now so consider it sold as long as it's the real deal and not a basket case but it sure looks good from the pictures.

A realistic price would be more like $70 to $95k depending on a whole bunch of of variables.

But if it's going for $30 to $40 K, i'll be there on Monday or Tuesday to pick it up and I'll have cash in hand. Just let me know :D

QSS

I taught the value would be closer to 100k$ to 125k$, according to other Classic Shelby I see on ebay and elsewhere. This one is automatic, and so well restored, that it looks like a brand new car !

My parent's neibourgh who rebuilt this Shelby (for someone else), currently owns a 1970 Mustang Boss 302 and he refused 100k$ for his car. He also made a Plymouth Cuda Convertible conversion, which worths well over 100k$ even if it's a conversion.

I taught the value would be closer to 100k$ to 125k$, according to other Classic Shelby I see on ebay and elsewhere. This one is automatic, and so well restored, that it looks like a brand new car !

My parent's neibourgh who rebuilt this Shelby (for someone else), currently owns a 1970 Mustang Boss 302 and he refused 100k$ for his car. He also made a Plymouth Cuda Convertible conversion, which worths well over 100k$ even if it's a conversion.

It's a beautiful car but the GT-350 prices are much lower than a GT-500. The 1968 small blocks were the lowest horsepower Shelby's with the 302-4V J-code motors (250 gross SAE hp). This one also has a modern air conditioning system not the original type system.

It's a beautiful looking car and probably an terrific occasional driver too. It looks very nice and could probably bring $45,000 to $65,000 on today's market although I'm sure he'll start out asking $75K. There were only 404 '68 convertibles built and it was the first year for convertibles Shelby's.

30-40 would be the deposit, how would you like to handle the balance... :hysterical:

Marks against (not trying to be negative, but the facts remain, it is a 350, and auto),

Marks for, drop top, but huge points for special paint code yellow...total yellow cars was 144, of which only 7 (yes seven) were GT350 convertibles...so a rare car indeed, then combined with the saddle interior...probably less then 3 (i'm guessing here)

If it is as clean live as itr appears in the pix, then with the right buyer, this car can bring 100k

.......................If it is as clean live as itr appears in the pix, then with the right buyer, this car can bring 100k

I wish him luck but not on today's market with an aftermarket AC (but much more efficient). I'd love to have and drive it till it needs restoring again (LOL).

, then with the right buyer,

I wish him luck but not on today's market with an aftermarket AC (but much more efficient). I'd love to have and drive it till it needs restoring again (LOL).

I qualified it buy stating "the right buyer" someone who absolutely wants/needs to have this color in a drop top...could push the number...but I agree, these 302's are very anemic, and have the lowest performance of all the early gen Shelbys...

So, this is a numbers matching 1968 Shelby GT350 convertible? Depending on the mileage and options, that could bring $30 to $40k on a good day. But, I'm not an expert on the subject.

SoCal..........you should be ashamed of yourself. Did you really think you could steal this from this guy for 30-40K? :hysterical: UhUm.........yes I would say your no expert. I like you but you should never stain your personality like that on this forum it could stick with you for a while......I know! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Don't get me/us wrong. This is a beautiful car but if you want to get the big bucks ALL the details need to be correct. The After market AC, the "Caution Fan" sticker on the radiator, the 10 spoke wheels are all incorrect for a 68 GT350. I'm no expert but at a glance, these things jump out at me. If an amateur like me can spot these incorrect items, imagine what a veteran could spot .

She is a beautiful car indeed.

QSS

30-40 would be the deposit, how would you like to handle the balance... :hysterical:

Marks against (not trying to be negative, but the facts remain, it is a 350, and auto),

Marks for, drop top, but huge points for special paint code yellow...total yellow cars was 144, of which only 7 (yes seven) were GT350 convertibles...so a rare car indeed, then combined with the saddle interior...probably less then 3 (i'm guessing here)

If it is as clean live as itr appears in the pix, then with the right buyer, this car can bring 100k

Dammit Tom! I had it for 20K...

+1 I agree.Even though it is a 350,the motor and tranny can be stored,and a nice stroker and tranny can take its place to make it a killer snake!Thats what I would do if I bought it.Out of curiosity,how often do you drive your 68?

• 1 month later...

from what I see:

it is either not a real car or not the correct color. that production run of the body was not available in yellow.

Wrong! The 68 was indeed offered in Yellow so this car may be "the real deal".

Check out the facts on the Yellow 68's,

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/WT6066.HTML

QSS

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong! The 68 was indeed offered in Yellow so this car may be "the real deal".

Check out the facts on the Yellow 68's,

http://www.thecorals...com/WT6066.HTML

QSS

That's a cool web page. Looks like the guy should of restored it with black vinyl lettering instead of the white. The car did not come with white lettering.

Notes: Seven GT350 convertibles were scheduled to be yellow, but only six were produced. One of these cars was painted white by mistake.

I happen to be well educated on both the new generation Shelby's AND the old generation Shelby's and if you want to know anything about a 68 Shelby, the operator of this particular website is near, of at the top of the heap when it comes to his expertise on the 68 Shelby's.

If you need to know anything, and I mean anything about these cars, contact Pete at his "Coralsnake" website and he will be able to provide you with the facts.

It is a great website and he updates it every 4 months.

QSS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have been offered a 1968 shelby gt500 w/ no engine or tranny and its rusted, for 450$. I absolutely love 1968 shelby gt500 and think this is a good deal but i was wanting some other input. Also if you wud have a rough ballpark price of what it might be worth, without having seen photos.. thanks

Hi, i have been offered a 1968 shelby gt500 w/ no engine or tranny and its rusted, for 450$. I absolutely love 1968 shelby gt500 and think this is a good deal but i was wanting some other input. Also if you wud have a rough ballpark price of what it might be worth, without having seen photos.. thanks

First verify what it is, a messed up Mustang or restorable (expensive project) Shelby. Check the Shelby and Ford VIN with the SAAC 68 Shelby Registrar first.

Archived