TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Resale Question

Capt500

Hello all,

I have a hypothetical question.....well actually my girlfriend and I have differing opinions on this so we decided to seek out some outside thoughts/input. Let's say I wanted to sell my car in 5-10 years (it's a 2011 with SVTPP and Nav package) would its resale value be substantially reduced if I had done a few mods to it, but the original parts are still on hand to be be sold with the car as loose parts or to be put back on the car- buyer's preference? For example, as of now, I have installed an Airaid filter, resonator delete tube, and Magnaflow muffler delete kit. Future mods would possibly include wider rear wheels and tires, pulley/tune kit, and painted valance and rocker panels (my car is black with red stripes). What do you think- big hit on the resale or not really much difference since all original parts would be available (with exception of painted panels)?

Hello all,

I have a hypothetical question.....well actually my girlfriend and I have differing opinions on this so we decided to seek out some outside thoughts/input. Let's say I wanted to sell my car in 5-10 years (it's a 2011 with SVTPP and Nav package) would its resale value be substantially reduced if I had done a few mods to it, but the original parts are still on hand to be be sold with the car as loose parts or to be put back on the car- buyer's preference? For example, as of now, I have installed an Airaid filter, resonator delete tube, and Magnaflow muffler delete kit. Future mods would possibly include wider rear wheels and tires, pulley/tune kit, and painted valance and rocker panels (my car is black with red stripes). What do you think- big hit on the resale or not really much difference since all original parts would be available (with exception of painted panels)?

Cap,

Good luck with this one. You are going to get varied anaswes. Bone stock many years in the future will most likely bring more value to the table versus a modified GT500. If you save the original parts it will bring more value for sure. However, 5 years down the pike will not be enough time for this to be a huge issue. You'll still take a beating no matter what you do. The exception would be one of the official Shelby mod packages and or mods that have been done by Shelby or one of their official mod shops and documented to the Shelby Register. (Fazs2 Watts link added as owner modified June 2011 by Shelby Automotive) Anything with an CMA number should sell for more than a stock Shelby GT500. You should be covered as long as you get the mods registered in the Shelby Register. My 2 cents. You should get plenty of differing opinions.

If you look to see what the 2007's are bring now it might help you with your question. If they are still making the Shelby's at the time you are trying to sell it, why pay for and old one when you can get a new one. If you keep it for say 50 years then it might be worth something more. IMO

Hello all,

these cars wont be colectible really for a long time.I can tell you though,its easier to sell a stock car than amodded out car--it doesnt seem though youre doing a lot,for now, but if you get into serious mods, it would be a factor.I can tell you as a car collector how many folks havepout big money into making a hot rod, like 100k and wind up seling it for 30K.To me the key to not getting totally kiled i keep the car stock, keep it well maintained and documnetd,and keep miles low if its not a daily driver.I dont have a garage queen,but ive only got 5k miles,and its never been wet

You're definitely talking 20 years or so, if they keep making the car with the Shelby GT500 name. But I agree that the car will be worth more at that point

if you keep the stock parts. Think about the potential of what these cars will be worth in 30+ years like the 60's Shelby's today. What did a new '68 GT500

cost? $3800 to $4000? Think about what they go for now. A cherry '68 could bring $125,000, which is 33 times more than the car cost new. Do we have

cars that in 30 years could be worth almost $2,000,000? You could argue that they built a lot fewer Shelby's back then, but there are also a lot more

people buying cars today. Sorry to get off topic...just thinking.

Go on Ebay, cars modded by the owners with piecemeal stuff sit for sale a long time, then usually go at a reduced price. I think it implies you are gonna drive it hard if you do home mods, plus who knows about the quality of the install, etc, and that scares people off. Changing the air filter and mufflers isn't a big deal (if you sell you should change it back and advertise it as stock), but as soon as you go pully's/tunes or paint valances you are going to take a hit, except for Shelby certified packages done by Shelby. Shelby buyers seem to want original, thats why you can't even test drive these things-buyers want them perfect with zero miles. Which would you rather buy, right? The valuable GT500 well down the road is gonna be low miles in stock condition or Shelby installed packages. I know everybody seems to think there are too many of them to be valuable someday, but Chevy made over 20,000 1969 Z/28's, and those sell for a fortune in stock condition, you just have to wait 40 years. The fact Ford made a bunch of GT500's and the economy forced them to stop the ridiculous markups means regular joe's like me can buy them, which means 18 year olds see them driving around, and when they are 50 and successful this is one of the cars they are gonna want to buy. In 40 years so many will be wrecked or modded, and this may be the last hurrah for the gas muscle car as well. I think with the top of the line (at least for now) SVTPP package you have if you are worried about resale I wouldn't fool with it.

Go on Ebay, cars modded by the owners with piecemeal stuff sit for sale a long time, then usually go at a reduced price. I think it implies you are gonna drive it hard if you do home mods, plus who knows about the quality of the install, etc, and that scares people off. Changing the air filter and mufflers isn't a big deal (if you sell you should change it back and advertise it as stock), but as soon as you go pully's/tunes or paint valances you are going to take a hit, except for Shelby certified packages done by Shelby.

:yup:

Do all bolt on mods, keep the stock parts, return to stock before you sell, sell the mods separate.

These cars won't be collectors items. The 2002 T-bird buyers felt the same way. I'm sorry but lightening doesn't strike twice. Reminds of the people who bought all the new Star Wars figures for the new trilogy and locked them away thinking they'd get $1000 per figure in 10 years. Well, 11 years later and that $5 Darth Maul is now $1 on ebay.

These cars won't be collectors items. The 2002 T-bird buyers felt the same way. I'm sorry but lightening doesn't strike twice. Reminds of the people who bought all the new Star Wars figures for the new trilogy and locked them away thinking they'd get $1000 per figure in 10 years. Well, 11 years later and that $5 Darth Maul is now $1 on ebay.

Agree! There will be the balance of 40,000 of these built before the body change. Just too many to have any real chance of significant appreciation. They are likely worth more today than they will ever be so drive the hell out of em now.

Thanks all for the replies so far. I honestly have no real intentions of selling the car decades from now as a possible collector's item. It is just too much fun to drive and enjoy for me to leave it in the garage under its cover. I've already put 3850 miles on it in 10.5 months of ownership (and I work offshore so I'm only home half of the year so those miles were put on in about 5 months of driving). I was just wondering how bad of a hit I would take when the time does come to sell the car if I've done a few reversible mods....

Enjoy your car, if you want to mod it do it. I know a lot of people do it but I could never see the point of keeping a car nice fpr the next owner and not having fun with it. I bet Carrol Shelby would have a bigger smile on his face if he sees a GT500 raced on a road race track or a dragstrip as opposed to one that is kept in a plastic bubble in a garage.

No doubt modding the car is going to hurt the resale down the road. Most people buying a collector type car want stock, but tasteful upgrades, bolt-ons and known problem upgrades dont hurt resale that much but they do narrow the field of buyers. OTOH having a 1/4 panel replaced after an accident will kill resale more than pulley/tune, wheels/tires, suspension etc. Depends if you bought it for an investment or to have fun with it, if you enjoy driving it do the bolt ons and keep the stock parts. The new GT500s are really nice cars as-is, myself I wouldnt change much.. I dont see the money on these getting huge even after 30 years, all depends on how wealthy the kids are that lusting after these in 20-30 years are.

Cap,

Good luck with this one. You are going to get varied anaswes. Bone stock many years in the future will most likely bring more value to the table versus a modified GT500. If you save the original parts it will bring more value for sure. However, 5 years down the pike will not be enough time for this to be a huge issue. You'll still take a beating no matter what you do. The exception would be one of the official Shelby mod packages and or mods that have been done by Shelby or one of their official mod shops and documented to the Shelby Register. (Fazs2 Watts link added as owner modified June 2011 by Shelby Automotive) Anything with an CMA number should sell for more than a stock Shelby GT500. You should be covered as long as you get the mods registered in the Shelby Register. My 2 cents. You should get plenty of differing opinions.

Good discussion. i will simply add that as a registrar for the GT500 I and my fellow registrars are always glad to assist with registry needs. The link in my signature includes both initial registry and updates. If you need any help please do ask anytime.

David

Archived