TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More Super Snake wheels

PapaZ

Thanks guys. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the wheels before the powdercoating. They were widened by weldcraft with the weld seams smoothed. They looked great and nearly, well, seamless. In order for them to fit I had to do the same things that many others have had to do in order for these to fit. In fact, I can confidently say there is no magic to this and if you want these you will be modifying or rubbing,

That said, I cut off the useless mounting bracket that is used as a body pickup during manufacturing and trimmed the dust boot from the shock cover. Details of all of this is well detailed in the "widened rear wheels" thread in the Supersnake subforum. For the record that was a bit of a difficult decision relative to originality but in the end I decided that enjoying the car today by harnessing the power wer're making was more important than the sacrifice made to the Barrett-Jackson gods of 25 years from now.

I'll post more when the gauges, 10% underdrive, and Lund dyno tune are finished next week. Peace.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Wow......absolutely perfect look and stance. I guess I'll have Weldcraft do my stockers before I powdercoat them. Again...... Great looking car !!!! Those wheels make a huge difference.

Thanks so much brother! BTW, that stance is a little old school rake I settled on by putting the stock springs back on the rear. And the extra squat for traction doesn't hurt either ....

looks great how do you like the light bar i am trying to decide if i want one for my 2012 vert

I am very happy with the light bar. Its obviously the Shelby CDC piece and installation/instructions/fit were all excellent. Other people are also raving about the Saleen Light bar so I would look at that one too if I were you before I made a decision. Either way it improves the look and I think (albeit it's subjective) it reduced cowl shake.

That looks so good! Damn I need more money.

Thank you much!!! And that just leads to more spending and back to needing more money..... vicious cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the wheels before the powdercoating. They were widened by weldcraft with the weld seams smoothed. They looked great and nearly, well, seamless. In order for them to fit I had to do the same things that many others have had to do in order for these to fit. In fact, I can confidently say there is no magic to this and if you want these you will be modifying or rubbing,

That said, I cut off the useless mounting bracket that is used as a body pickup during manufacturing and trimmed the dust boot from the shock cover. Details of all of this is well detailed in the "widened rear wheels" thread in the Supersnake subforum. For the record that was a bit of a difficult decision relative to originality but in the end I decided that enjoying the car today by harnessing the power wer're making was more important than the sacrifice made to the Barrett-Jackson gods of 25 years from now.

I'll post more when the gauges, 10% underdrive, and Lund dyno tune are finished next week. Peace.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

:drool:

Sorry...let me clean this up!!

Looks great man!

Thanks for the props fellas. That's good stuff coming from fellow enthusiasts! And BB, let me tell you, it's good to finally be back. As far as the mileage question goes I'm gonna go just a little out on the proverbial limb and say..... not a helluva lot! Like less than 10k. In other words the wear rating of the ps2s isnt terrible.... but that 2.8KB is nasty and I do DRIVE IT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your car is amazing. This is the best looking Shelby I have ever seen!

Granted I am biased in that I have a 2011 vert, but it doesn't look as good as yours.

I think it is the stock springs giving it the rake and the monster meats. I powder coated the base gt500 wheels textured black as well.

Hats off. You have given my something to stretch for going forward

Thanks guys. And IA, if there is anything I can help with as you work toward your goal feel free to pm me. I certainly had lots of help and this website is a great resource.

That said the offset is the standard Alcoa offset. The wheels were widened exclusively by adding to the inner wheel. From 10 to 11.75. I'm running 1/8th inch spacers however... which effectively changes offset and contributes even more to the wheels/tires pushing ouside to the edge of the outer fender. Understandably, many supersnake owners express frustration with the fact that the offset pushes the tire out to or beyond the fender. The way it is, its slight enough that it doesn't bother me.

Papa Z:

Thanks for the offer to help. I lowered my vert with steeda. I want to keep the fender gap the same so if I want a taller rake look do I just get a taller tire? I assume if I go back to the stock springs in the rear it will be higher but have a larger fender gap especially than the front.

My apologies up front as this is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this forum.

Papa Z:

Thanks for the offer to help. I lowered my vert with steeda. I want to keep the fender gap the same so if I want a taller rake look do I just get a taller tire? I assume if I go back to the stock springs in the rear it will be higher but have a larger fender gap especially than the front.

My apologies up front as this is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this forum.

It's all geometry, so yes - a larger wheel is one way to do it, but realize you may introduce clearance issues and, if you're increasing your tire diameter enough to matter (1" of diameter will create 1/2" of rake), you're going to be effectively gearing-up the hell out of your drivetrain to boot. You'd be well-served to plug in Pi*D into a spreadsheet with your present gearing and plot it against some bone stock dyno pulls to get a sense of where your new power profile is going to fall relative to where you like to shift.

Having the SVTPP, I'm actually thinking of going back to a 285/35-19 (or similar) smaller rear tire JUST to win back some of the quickness gain the 3.73 is SUPPOSED to give - rather than just offset. I've also thought about re-gearing the car altogether - using a larger rear tire (315/35-20) and 4.30 gearing to basically abandon 1st altogether as anything but a trucker's hill gear and use a 2-5 shift pattern, which happens to be a more natural racing shift sequence the way it's laid-out with the 6060.

Madlock laid it out perfectly.

First, essentially you will increase your rake with the taller tire but that definitely could introduce fender clearance issues if you've gone to a wider rear tire. This, however, is completely relevant to the offset of your rims though and for the record it is POSSIBLE to tuck in 305's with the correct offset. This is because there is enough physical room inside of the wheel well for that size tire provided your rim offset centers the tire directly within the wheel well.

Finally, as stated, there is a definite gear ratio concern with taller tires. I for one can tell I've changed my final drive ratio by running the taller wheel and tire combo and the net result is that you have to have a basic awareness of where your new sweet spot is within the power band because the engine is having to work harder to rotate the taller tire.

To achieve the look I've got I'm running stock springs in the rear (and lowering springs in the front) which creates the increased fender gap (which you're not really looking for) but allows the suspension enough room to work with the 335 tire that is bigger than the wheel well itself.

Hope this helps and good luck!! Remember modding is all about compromises and figuring out which ones you're willing to accept!! Z

Thanks, PapaZ.

There's also a huge consideration to be taken into account when futzing with wheel and tire sizes since any one variable is RARELY ever impacted only unto itself.

For example, any offset changes or wheel widening WITHOUT ALSO including spacing to compensate will affect the vehicle's lateral stance and track. And as many have noted, despite fender well being able to accommodate very nominal added distance from the chassis center line to the outer sidewall, the car already kicks-up enough ass-end debris WITHOUT the tires protruding farther.

But even if you've done your math and fit as much wheel and tire as possible between the limits of the fender flare and the wheel well, the rear track is now different from the front wheels - with the potential to affect everything from steering feel to its road holding and over/understeer tendencies.

Regrettably, very few tires exist in staggered OE sizes (for the SVTPP) , or combinations that bring MOST variables harmoniously back into relative balance. Especially if you track your car, most people are inviting some pretty radical changes to how their cars handle - especially under stress. I suspect it's why BOSS 302 and SVTPP BOTH use 285 tires in the back, and the 9" BOSS 302 front wheels help to compensate for the difference between 265 and 255's (or vice versa).

Granted, tire composition and temperature may have as much of an overall impact than single-step differences in width and it won't necessarily be relevant to everybody - but I'd sure suggest at least understanding and walking through the many various "what ifs" before diving headlong into modding for appearance's sake alone.

Absolutely.

And changing rear track is absolutely a balance issue and may indeed have influenced Fords decision on the Boss. I might even further say that without nailing down the rear end (I love my torque arm btw) the rear end walks way too much making balance obviously difficult to achieve or predict.

IA, for instance I'm compromising overall balance with my setup. But I did a lot of research in an attempt to understand that compromise and I'm well pleased with the added straightline traction I gained in the process. If I had expected the car not to change in other ways other than that added traction, however, I would have likely been very disappointed.

Laws of physics just dictate you're gonna have to give something to get something..... and if you make those compromises for esthetics alone chances are you won't be happy for long.

Absolutely.

And changing rear track is absolutely a balance issue and may indeed have influenced Fords decision on the Boss. I might even further say that without nailing down the rear end (I love my torque arm btw) the rear end walks way too much making balance obviously difficult to achieve or predict.

IA, for instance I'm compromising overall balance with my setup. But I did a lot of research in an attempt to understand that compromise and I'm well pleased with the added straightline traction I gained in the process. If I had expected the car not to change in other ways other than that added traction, however, I would have likely been very disappointed.

Laws of physics just dictate you're gonna have to give something to get something..... and if you make those compromises for esthetics alone chances are you won't be happy for long.

Thanks guys. I will stick with the setup I have for now as I like the handling with the steeda package. I am going to add a light bar, CR HE. Also am going to do the roush wheel hop kit. Any other essentials that I am missing?

Already addressed suspension, exhaust, resonator delete, shifter and am in the process of getting the most important performance mod (Carroll Shelby sig on the air bag plate)

Thanks again. Even though I am older this is the first high performance car I have ever owned. I had never heard of panhard bars, upper strut mounts, etc... 3 months ago. My wife thinks I have gone crazy.

Archived