TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs SRT8

Hays1967

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know, after my initial post, I watched as this thread turned into even more of a train wreck than it already was. I made the decision to sit back and read along, but after pages 4 and 5, I've decided I'm not going to follow some unwritten "Moderator Etiquette". There just so happens to be more bullshit in this thread than the entire forum has had in the past year and a half. Having said that, if you read this and choose to vote me off the survivor island, be my guest. Allow me to present my evidence (and mind you, this is ONLY as plucked from pages 4 and 5............if I were to go back to the beginning, I'd be here all night).

Respect to your opinion! But he has the right to gloat bc that station wagon is an SRT and it has a 6.1 hemi tuned by the viper crew
Heavily tuned?!?!?!? Where exactly are you getting this information? The simple fact is this.............425 HP. A car that probably weighs 4300 pounds EMPTY. NO available manual transmission. No available limited slip. Heavily tuned? LMFAO. Next question?

You gotta look at it as this. SRT = Copy Cat but not as good SVT. Have SVT work on an All-Wheeler and jeep is in trouble.

:hysterical:

You gotta understand JUST how hard I'm laughing right now. This is honestly one of those rare moments when for the good of the world, I just wanna pick the entire PC up and throw it at the wall. I've tried to resist comparing SRT to SVT for a LONG time. Why? Because there simply IS no comparison. Sure, SVT had a few good tricks up their sleeve. They showed the world that they could throw the "impossible" 351W in a SN95. They further showed the world they could follow that by dropping the 5.4 into a 2000. They threw the trump card when they developed and actually brought the 03-04 Cobra to fruition. And after that? That, my friend, was SVT's last stand. Need we discuss the JOKE SVT Focus? Perhaps the SVT Contour? Sure, they delivered on all variations of the Lightning, but what happened to the Ranger "Thunderbolt" concept? Oh, and that little Mach III 2 seater they were "going to" build, but couldn't because it "would never sell". Funny.........looks like some other 2 seater with a V10 picked up that segment of the market. Oh wait! What about the SVT Thunderbird (MN12)? The Marauder they didn't do a damn thing with? So what's the difference, you ask? At least SRT delivers what people want, rather than "what they think will sell". They experiment..............they'll put SRT on the Neon. The Charger. The Magnum. The 300C. The Ram. Soon to be the Caliber. Simply put, they deliver. They "dare to be different". Next?

P.S. SVT to make an SUV to compete with the JEEP? :hysterical2:

What's the next comparison going to be? SVT Focus vs. a Ferrari? I mean, they both come in red, but where's the power and handling on the Focus?

Ok, so it's not right to compare a Focus to a Ferrari, yet it's fair to compare a GT500 to a station wagon? <Makes mental note>

Glad I joined a Cobra site so I could learn all about those Jeeps!!

Wow, I guess that makes two of us glad, because I'm *so* glad I joined this site to have conversations about Mustangs of all varieties and cars in general. Guess we're both in the wrong place?

And now Saleen S331 Pickup to smoke the SRT10 Ram. Chrysler, like always is the last to enter. Sorry to prove your statement wrong
Now we're looking at tuner vehicles as well? <makes second mental note> Chrysler is always the last to enter? Funny..................as far back as I can remember, Ford has consistantly been a dollar short and a day late. Please refer back to 1993 through 2003, Mustang vs. F-body platform.

it would be a shame if they only limited this board to those who had your narrow view of cars.

Ding ding ding!!!!!!! Welcome to StangsUnleashed, where everyone is welcome, so long as they discuss the proper vehicle. Sure didn't take you long to catch on to how things work. May I be your tour guide?

I think maybe some got offended at your putting down the guy who beat this "wagon" that was highly modded by SRT. In the end, I believe anyone here who is a member, except those HIT AND RUNNERS that talk trash and never return, is an enthusiast to the Mustang and its varieties
Here we go again, talking about those "heavy mods". :rolleyes: But anyhow, let me divulge my history. I've been here for about 18 months. I've owned NOTHING but vehicles made by Ford Motor Company. I even spent three years working in one of their shit hole facilities. We've collectively owned seven Mustangs, and three still (and will ALWAYS) remain. So yeah, I'd hardly call myself a "hit and runner". Having said that, I love my cars, but frankly, can't STAND the loyalists. You know the type.............."The Mustang is greater than all". I bought the cars before it was the "trendy" thing to do. Before it became "popular" for mommy and daddy to go buy one for every pimply faced 17 year old brat. I bought the car, NOT the attitude. The attitude sucks. Furthermore, allow me to ask a question. If I were to go out and blow the doors off a Mercury Marauder with my '95, would beating that car make me a hero? Or would it make me an individual who needs to stick to something that runs closer to what I do? And don't forget, being a 32V 4.6L "Mach 1 engine", they're heavily tuned by SVT. There should be no excuses, right? Top of the line engineering right thurr. :yup:

Geez, can't we just talk about how cool theyall are..or is this one of those mine is bigger then yours thing??

Don't think we've had the chance to meet, young chap. However, please refer to the above paragraph(s) for the revised "terms of use" of StangsUnleashed. Basically, the rules go something like this:

To be here, you either 1) own a GT500; 2) are dying to own a GT500 but are too poor to make it happen; 3) don't give a shit either way, so you don't really fit in anywhere.

There IS no inbetween. Think I'm kidding? Go take a look through these forums. Tell me how many threads you find on Mustang GTs (no, not SHELBY, just plain old Mustang). Then go check out the technical forums. There's like 2 posts in each one. Why? Because nobody gives a shit! Frankly, I'm quite surprised this thread didn't get locked/closed/moved. Rivalry threads don't work here.

So, my long overdue long winded rant is over. My stay here probably is as well. It's been fun, but honestly, get a grip.

Ciao!

um, somebody needs to get a grip. It all seemed like fun and games till that post.

Taking things a little too personally?

I just can't help myself...if I still had my 68 GT-500 Edelbrock , dual Holley quads, 411 gears, I'd send Mopar and anything else on the road to the pit stop and I did. I now have the future 5000 (this is what I call the 500) and you ain't gonna touch it...Mustang Shelby all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

I am NOT a "stang" owner, I certainly did look/test drive one prior to buying my SRT. But I just wanted to stop by, talk muscle cars and educate you about SRT's and learn more about "Stangs"

You folks cool with that?? I hope so :)

Also anyone here from Nebraska? I finally saw a GT500( I think) this past week.

I'm in Omaha NE Husker. I drive a torch red w/white striped GT500. I'm still looking for other GT500 owners here, but none to be found yet.

post-7985-1174563408_thumb.jpg

post-7985-1174563408_thumb.jpg

Ya know, after my initial post, I watched as this thread turned into even more of a train wreck than it already was. I made the decision to sit back and read along, but after pages 4 and 5, I've decided I'm not going to follow some unwritten "Moderator Etiquette". There just so happens to be more bullshit in this thread than the entire forum has had in the past year and a half. Having said that, if you read this and choose to vote me off the survivor island, be my guest. Allow me to present my evidence (and mind you, this is ONLY as plucked from pages 4 and 5............if I were to go back to the beginning, I'd be here all night).

Heavily tuned?!?!?!? Where exactly are you getting this information? The simple fact is this.............425 HP. A car that probably weighs 4300 pounds EMPTY. NO available manual transmission. No available limited slip. Heavily tuned? LMFAO. Next question?

You gotta understand JUST how hard I'm laughing right now. This is honestly one of those rare moments when for the good of the world, I just wanna pick the entire PC up and throw it at the wall. I've tried to resist comparing SRT to SVT for a LONG time. Why? Because there simply IS no comparison. Sure, SVT had a few good tricks up their sleeve. They showed the world that they could throw the "impossible" 351W in a SN95. They further showed the world they could follow that by dropping the 5.4 into a 2000. They threw the trump card when they developed and actually brought the 03-04 Cobra to fruition. And after that? That, my friend, was SVT's last stand. Need we discuss the JOKE SVT Focus? Perhaps the SVT Contour? Sure, they delivered on all variations of the Lightning, but what happened to the Ranger "Thunderbolt" concept? Oh, and that little Mach III 2 seater they were "going to" build, but couldn't because it "would never sell". Funny.........looks like some other 2 seater with a V10 picked up that segment of the market. Oh wait! What about the SVT Thunderbird (MN12)? The Marauder they didn't do a damn thing with? So what's the difference, you ask? At least SRT delivers what people want, rather than "what they think will sell". They experiment..............they'll put SRT on the Neon. The Charger. The Magnum. The 300C. The Ram. Soon to be the Caliber. Simply put, they deliver. They "dare to be different". Next?

Ok, so it's not right to compare a Focus to a Ferrari, yet it's fair to compare a GT500 to a station wagon? <Makes mental note>

Wow, I guess that makes two of us glad, because I'm *so* glad I joined this site to have conversations about Mustangs of all varieties and cars in general. Guess we're both in the wrong place?

Now we're looking at tuner vehicles as well? <makes second mental note> Chrysler is always the last to enter? Funny..................as far back as I can remember, Ford has consistantly been a dollar short and a day late. Please refer back to 1993 through 2003, Mustang vs. F-body platform.

Ding ding ding!!!!!!! Welcome to StangsUnleashed, where everyone is welcome, so long as they discuss the proper vehicle. Sure didn't take you long to catch on to how things work. May I be your tour guide?

Here we go again, talking about those "heavy mods". :rolleyes: But anyhow, let me divulge my history. I've been here for about 18 months. I've owned NOTHING but vehicles made by Ford Motor Company. I even spent three years working in one of their shit hole facilities. We've collectively owned seven Mustangs, and three still (and will ALWAYS) remain. So yeah, I'd hardly call myself a "hit and runner". Having said that, I love my cars, but frankly, can't STAND the loyalists. You know the type.............."The Mustang is greater than all". I bought the cars before it was the "trendy" thing to do. Before it became "popular" for mommy and daddy to go buy one for every pimply faced 17 year old brat. I bought the car, NOT the attitude. The attitude sucks. Furthermore, allow me to ask a question. If I were to go out and blow the doors off a Mercury Marauder with my '95, would beating that car make me a hero? Or would it make me an individual who needs to stick to something that runs closer to what I do? And don't forget, being a 32V 4.6L "Mach 1 engine", they're heavily tuned by SVT. There should be no excuses, right? Top of the line engineering right thurr. :yup:

Don't think we've had the chance to meet, young chap. However, please refer to the above paragraph(s) for the revised "terms of use" of StangsUnleashed. Basically, the rules go something like this:

To be here, you either 1) own a GT500; 2) are dying to own a GT500 but are too poor to make it happen; 3) don't give a shit either way, so you don't really fit in anywhere.

There IS no inbetween. Think I'm kidding? Go take a look through these forums. Tell me how many threads you find on Mustang GTs (no, not SHELBY, just plain old Mustang). Then go check out the technical forums. There's like 2 posts in each one. Why? Because nobody gives a shit! Frankly, I'm quite surprised this thread didn't get locked/closed/moved. Rivalry threads don't work here.

So, my long overdue long winded rant is over. My stay here probably is as well. It's been fun, but honestly, get a grip.

Ciao!

Hey Evil, head for the medicine cabinet...reach for something to calm you down. :extinguish:

I'm in Omaha NE Husker. I drive a torch red w/white striped GT500. I'm still looking for other GT500 owners here, but none to be found yet.

VERY cool! I don't have one, but would LIKE to. I would love a chance to meet with you and see your car, maybe trade lies, ah I mean race stories! I live in Papillion and drive a silver 300SRT.

Ciao!

Ok, so what you are saying to ME is that if I don't have a GT500 I can't be here?? Huh, if that's the truth, that kinda sucks as I respect all muscle and like to talk about the same. I don't think I have been a problem, I am just asking questions to learn about these cars and of course shoot the shit about all muscle cars in general....

The point of the thread has been lost. A fellow GT500 owner was challennged and tried to ignore it. Decided not to and squashed the comp. It's good fun and a good story nothing more nothing less. Most of us here would not have waited as long to accept the challenge most likely. If I get a safe offportunity and am challeneged by a Charger (SRT-8 or otherwise) I'd take the bait. Why not. Then I would likely come here and tell people about it. If some one that is a charger fan gets upset about it or others thing it's no big deal so what.

I rarely get a challenge or a person willing to play that is really a worthy opponent....even less times do I get a chance to play when it is a true open road situation so I have to pass on anything to crazy because of traffic and other hazards.

I like the SRT-8, Fast Jeeps, Lightnings, Challenger concept, etc. I even like the viper looks but don't fit in one for crap. I am looking forward to racing one and win or lose I'll be on here talking about it. It's like that fruit loop that came on with the name "stangs suck ass" or something with a video of a mercedes beating on 03 cobra. BFD - like there are not videos of all cars losing out there if you look. Some people only want to stir the pot and that's fine too but there is a lot better things to offer here than that.

I see nothing wrong with winning a challenge and bragging about it a little. SRT-8 or Honda accord I would do the same thing.....And I do see the SRT 8 as a comp. vehicle...especially if they want to try to make it one.

As for heavily modded - I believe they mean SRT modded over the stock version. Clearly no way to know if any additional mods went into it after market. But the point is.....Don't bash for taking ona challenge and winning in an environment that was fairly well suited for it.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease!

The point of the thread has been lost. A fellow GT500 owner was challennged and tried to ignore it. Decided not to and squashed the comp. It's good fun and a good story nothing more nothing less. Most of us here would not have waited as long to accept the challenge most likely. If I get a safe offportunity and am challeneged by a Charger (SRT-8 or otherwise) I'd take the bait. Why not. Then I would likely come here and tell people about it. If some one that is a charger fan gets upset about it or others thing it's no big deal so what.

I rarely get a challenge or a person willing to play that is really a worthy opponent....even less times do I get a chance to play when it is a true open road situation so I have to pass on anything to crazy because of traffic and other hazards.

I like the SRT-8, Fast Jeeps, Lightnings, Challenger concept, etc. I even like the viper looks but don't fit in one for crap. I am looking forward to racing one and win or lose I'll be on here talking about it. It's like that fruit loop that came on with the name "stangs suck ass" or something with a video of a mercedes beating on 03 cobra. BFD - like there are not videos of all cars losing out there if you look. Some people only want to stir the pot and that's fine too but there is a lot better things to offer here than that.

I see nothing wrong with winning a challenge and bragging about it a little. SRT-8 or Honda accord I would do the same thing.....And I do see the SRT 8 as a comp. vehicle...especially if they want to try to make it one.

As for heavily modded - I believe they mean SRT modded over the stock version. Clearly no way to know if any additional mods went into it after market. But the point is.....Don't bash for taking ona challenge and winning in an environment that was fairly well suited for it.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease!

Perfectly said.

I've been challenged by everything from a Civic Si to a Viper. One I demolished and one demolished me. In either case, sure I'll talk about it and joke about it. It's not like I went chasing down a lesser HP car, started ragging on them then goaded them into a race and laughed at them some more... Just like the original poster. But once the deed has been done he and I, and anyone for that matter is free to tell of the 'kill' because that's what it was.

His post wasn't even derogatory regarding the other guy, just candid and talking about it as objectively as possible.

But when 'other car' people come on here to talk trash, I'm then not going to hold back and try and spare your feelings. I'm going to tell you to drink bleach or anything else that comes to mind. :)

Peace - DC

Ok, so what you are saying to ME is that if I don't have a GT500 I can't be here?? Huh, if that's the truth, that kinda sucks as I respect all muscle and like to talk about the same. I don't think I have been a problem, I am just asking questions to learn about these cars and of course shoot the shit about all muscle cars in general....

Ignore that post, and what you took from it. That was the crack talking?

We accept any and all that come to this site, just don't come here to specifically dog on our choice of car. We don't go to other sites and dog on theirs.

Peace

Ignore that post, and what you took from it. That was the crack talking?

We accept any and all that come to this site, just don't come here to specifically dog on our choice of car. We don't go to other sites and dog on theirs.

Peace

As long as folks keep to these guidlines we shouldn't have any issues..........right????? ;)

Well said dude

As long as folks keep to these guidlines we shouldn't have any issues..........right????? ;)

Well said dude

Thanks guys, I think I have not, nor will I dog any ones car! heck I think they are all just so cool... I grew up i the 70's when Detroit killed off all the performance so to see it back now with some pretty good MPG is so cool. I mean sure my SRT is not as fast as a GT500, but for a normal non-boost motor, 425 HP is a heck of a lot of power! If the car didn't weight 4200 lbs, it would give you guys a run for the money;)

But I just want to talk performance guys!! Now back to my question tha no one has answered..it the throttle on the 'stang electronic or manual? Mine is "fly-by-wire" and it sucks.. I was wondering if most of the newer cars are coming that way now??

Bob

Thanks guys, I think I have not, nor will I dog any ones car! heck I think they are all just so cool... I grew up i the 70's when Detroit killed off all the performance so to see it back now with some pretty good MPG is so cool. I mean sure my SRT is not as fast as a GT500, but for a normal non-boost motor, 425 HP is a heck of a lot of power! If the car didn't weight 4200 lbs, it would give you guys a run for the money;)

But I just want to talk performance guys!! Now back to my question tha no one has answered..it the throttle on the 'stang electronic or manual? Mine is "fly-by-wire" and it sucks.. I was wondering if most of the newer cars are coming that way now??

Bob

mustang and mustang gt have throttle by wire with some delay built in. A lot of folks get a tune to reduce or remove that. It appears that the shelby, while still throttle by wire, does not have the built in delay. Of course we think that is a very good thing :happy feet:

mustang and mustang gt have throttle by wire with some delay built in. A lot of folks get a tune to reduce or remove that. It appears that the shelby, while still throttle by wire, does not have the built in delay. Of course we think that is a very good thing :happy feet:

Boy I WISH I didn't have it. Besides the delay it also is the main issue behind not being able to tune the car. The SRT group tells us that due to the complex fly by wire system, it is almost impossible for anyone to write mods to the DCX code ( unless you have complete access to the code, which at this point has not happened) or develop any cool toys. Like the blowers, people had issues burning pistions as the mixture ran too lean, but noone could crack the code to tune the dang thing...So far that is the only real isue I have with a DCX car, I have NO control or ability to do anythin about the way the PCM runs the car...it's a bummer. I think if I could put 6-8 pounds of boost on this engine, it would really perform :)

Boy I WISH I didn't have it. Besides the delay it also is the main issue behind not being able to tune the car. The SRT group tells us that due to the complex fly by wire system, it is almost impossible for anyone to write mods to the DCX code ( unless you have complete access to the code, which at this point has not happened) or develop any cool toys. Like the blowers, people had issues burning pistions as the mixture ran too lean, but noone could crack the code to tune the dang thing...So far that is the only real isue I have with a DCX car, I have NO control or ability to do anythin about the way the PCM runs the car...it's a bummer. I think if I could put 6-8 pounds of boost on this engine, it would really perform :)

Wow, that's dissapointing to hear that you are so restricted on that platform. :(

What kind of bolt ons can you accomplish without risking damage to your engine due to lack of tune? Intake, Exhaust and that's it?

Sorry Husker! :yup:

This is one of the reasons why, ladies and gentlemen, the Mustang is one of the most popular vehicles on the planet. Ford has given us the ablility to modify our cars. The possibilities are endless. Check out any one or more of the many Mustang magazines for your catalog of mods. Enjoy. :burnout:

Sorry Husker! :yup:

This is one of the reasons why, ladies and gentlemen, the Mustang is one of the most popular vehicles on the planet. Ford has given us the ablility to modify our cars. The possibilities are endless. Check out any one or more of the many Mustang magazines for your catalog of mods. Enjoy. :burnout:

Wow, way to be a dick to Husker, when we all just agreed to live and let live.

:doh:

Wow, that's dissapointing to hear that you are so restricted on that platform. :(

What kind of bolt ons can you accomplish without risking damage to your engine due to lack of tune? Intake, Exhaust and that's it?

You're the one who said it dude. And hey does the aftermarket even make a replacement high performance 'Intake and Exhaust' for the Charger? :unsure:

I thought we discuss Mustangs here. Shelby and SRT8; apples and oranges. I like both. What I said about the Mustang earlier is my opinion and I believe it to be true. Mopar, GM and even Toyota dudes: Write here at your own risk. :rockon::lurk:

You're the one who said it dude. And hey does the aftermarket even make a replacement high performance 'Intake and Exhaust' for the Charger? :unsure:

I thought we discuss Mustangs here. Shelby and SRT8; apples and oranges. I like both. What I said about the Mustang earlier is my opinion and I believe it to be true. Mopar, GM and even Toyota dudes: Write here at your own risk. :rockon::lurk:

+1 :lurk::hysterical2:

Try getting your facts straight next time. The SRT-8 Magnum puts out 425 horsepower, not 500, and weighs significantly more than the GT500.

So, you're comparing a supercharged, 3900 lb car putting out nearly 500 horsepower to a naturally aspirated car weighing nearly 4300 lbs and putting out 425 horsepower, and you're bragging about the former winning?

You're right, the SRT-8 driver was egging you on, and he made a fool out of you because you took the bait. Most SRT-8 drivers know that their car will not beat a GT500.

The SRT-8 is the Mustang GT killer, so if you want to tangle with Dodge's next step up you're going to have to race a Viper.

Can't you just enjoy the story and stop all the negative stuff. :rant:

I really don't see it as an problem, he is 100% correct. It really does suck, but that is why Ford and Chevy are so popular, YOU CAN TUNE THEM :)

Sure we can add CAI, Catbacks, headers, CNC Heads, Cams, etc. But with the adaptive learning the PCM has, it will "learn" the new mod, then correct the tune to stay within the "programmed" specs. One company has the ability to offer tuned PCM's and it certainly does help, it allows for bigger cams and CNC heads etc and still have the ability to idle. Some have stroked the 6.1 out and cammed it w/better flowing heads( although the stock heads flow extremely well) and are pushing close to 500 at the rear wheel. But we still have 4000+ pounds to push. But the upside is all this is done without boost...that alone is pretty cool, just think what would happen with boost!!

Guys, I have think skin, I realize this is a 'stang brd and I will certainly respect that, please just don't get personal ok :) So far I am really enjoying the dialog!

Bob

Don't leave Husker you are welcome here. I'm not clear on what Evil's post was all about...so I won't comment on that. Sometimes here you need to have thick skin...I certainly do since I have a '69 Camaro as well as a GT500 (and my previous "sports" car was a Toyota :hysterical2: ).

Hang around!

Dave

I erally don't see it as an problem, he is 100% correct. It really does suck, but that is why Ford and Chevy are so popular, YOU CAN TUNE THEM :)

Sure we can add CAI, Catbacks, headers, CNC Heads, Cams, etc. But with the adaptive learning the PCM has, it will "learn" the new mod, then correct the tune to stay within the "programmed" specs. One company has the ability to offer tuned PCM's and it certainly does help, it allows for bigger cams and CNC heads etc and still have the ability to idle. Some have stroked the 6.1 out and cammed it w/better flowing heads( although the stock heads flow extremely well) and are pushing close to 500 at the rear wheel. But we still have 4000+ pounds to push. But the upside is all this is done without boost...that alone is pretty cool, just think what would happen with boost!!

Guys, I have think skin, I realize this is a 'stang brd and I will certainly respect that, please just don't get personal ok :) So far I am really enjoying the dialog!

You have think skin? :headscratch: Is that a new kind of skin that anticipates things and adjusts accordingly? :headscratch:

I'm just kidding with ya Husker....you have more than 10 posts so you are fair game. :hysterical2:

P.S. If you want to make fun of me, just ask me how my goats are doing? :fan:

You have think skin? :headscratch: Is that a new kind of skin that anticipates things and adjusts accordingly? :headscratch:

I'm just kidding with ya Husker....you have more than 10 posts so you are fair game. :hysterical2:

P.S. If you want to make fun of me, just ask me how my goats are doing? :fan:

LOL. well posting on a Mustang forum when you drive a DCX car really puts me at risk, but I figured..what the heck.

So what's this about goats? :headspin:

Archived