TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs SRT8

Hays1967

Try getting your facts straight next time. The SRT-8 Magnum puts out 425 horsepower, not 500, and weighs significantly more than the GT500.

So, you're comparing a supercharged, 3900 lb car putting out nearly 500 horsepower to a naturally aspirated car weighing nearly 4300 lbs and putting out 425 horsepower, and you're bragging about the former winning?

You're right, the SRT-8 driver was egging you on, and he made a fool out of you because you took the bait. Most SRT-8 drivers know that their car will not beat a GT500.

The SRT-8 is the Mustang GT killer, so if you want to tangle with Dodge's next step up you're going to have to race a Viper.

Welcome to the forum. May I suggest a more conciliatory tone for a newcomer? It may make you a more welcomed member.

Dave

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I am NOT a "stang" owner, I certainly did look/test drive one prior to buying my SRT. But I just wanted to stop by, talk muscle cars and educate you about SRT's and learn more about "Stangs"

You folks cool with that?? I hope so :)

Also anyone here from Nebraska? I finally saw a GT500( I think) this past week.

Hi all,

I am NOT a "stang" owner, I certainly did look/test drive one prior to buying my SRT. But I just wanted to stop by, talk muscle cars and educate you about SRT's and learn more about "Stangs"

Welcome Husker. Great first post.

You're more than welcome to hang out and dialog. However; want to warn you that we will try and convert you... Ha, ha... Welcome again.

Stuart

Hi all,

Welcome! I'm cool with it, just keep in mind it's a Mustang forum. I have to watch myself...I have a car of another make and limit my discusssions of said car for fear of reprisal...especially when one member has a license plate avatar that talks about how they "suck". :fan:

Dave

Hi all,

Welcome Husker, always nice to have new members regardless of what car's they drive.

In my 04 Cobra, and pretty much any car that came before it, if you wanted to get stomped on, by all means rev your beater and if it's safe conditions I'll be more than happy to knock your :censored: in the dirt. (hopefully in front of your gf/wife) Nothing is more entertaining than having some clown with his hoodrat gf pull up next to you in their <insert auto of choice> then revving you and smugly turning to their gf/wife and smiling... like "watch this honey". Then at the next light after getting completely worked by 450hp in my case, or 500 in the GT500 owneres cases was truly hilarious. I live for the confused look down at their car, as if something is broken, trying to find some explanation how they got stomped on so hard from the start.

I've passed 350z's from behind like they are standing still.

I've walked all over Dodge.* because they wanted to bring it.

I've walked all over Carerra S's, much to their surprise.

I've also been stomped on by a Viper, and his friend that was in another Viper.

I've been given the most trouble by a hopped up Subaru STi.

I applaud you handing this clown his hat, either he was completely delusional or just wanted to see what your car could do. Good job showing him on either account.

Ya ya, the mopar boys talking about their beloved Viper. Put your Viper against a Ford GT then and see how THAT goes down.

You gotta run what ya brung. SRT-8? Sounds like SRT GOT-8 to me. Leave it to Dodge to make a performance station wagon...Hays, nice kill bro, keep up the good work, be safe!

KC666

Ya ya, the mopar boys talking about their beloved Viper. Put your Viper against a Ford GT then and see how THAT goes down.

You gotta run what ya brung. SRT-8? Sounds like SRT GOT-8 to me. Leave it to Dodge to make a performance station wagon...Hays, nice kill bro, keep up the good work, be safe!

KC666

I'll take a run at a viper in my heavy vert....problem is I see them all the time when I'm in my jeep and nothing but accords with 3' tall wings when I'm in the Shelby. I's amazing the cars I see when i go out in the crappy jeep.....many have the types of people that look like they would play too.

Welcome Husker. Great first post.

You're more than welcome to hang out and dialog. However; want to warn you that we will try and convert you... Ha, ha... Welcome again.

Stuart

LOL, when it comes to cars..I am VERY open to new ones!! I just like to talk cars...plain and simple.

There are some very cool things you guys get to do that the DCX cars can't...TUNE THEM. We really can't do much to tune our cars and DCX seems very difficult to work with as they are refusing to release their code. Kinda takes the fun out of things. Even just things like change timing/fuel curve....anyway..I will just read about what you guys can do and drool :(

Welcome Husker, always nice to have new members regardless of what car's they drive.

Thank you! I kinda want to see the reasons why you guys choose the cars you did etc.. I choose mine just for very simple reasons...1st was HP and second was comfort, had to "fit" my body as I drive alot and it's better to have a car that is comfortable on long distances :)

Also if I have to pass someone, it does that fairly well ;)

Try getting your facts straight next time. The SRT-8 Magnum puts out 425 horsepower, not 500, and weighs significantly more than the GT500.

So, you're comparing a supercharged, 3900 lb car putting out nearly 500 horsepower to a naturally aspirated car weighing nearly 4300 lbs and putting out 425 horsepower, and you're bragging about the former winning?

You're right, the SRT-8 driver was egging you on, and he made a fool out of you because you took the bait. Most SRT-8 drivers know that their car will not beat a GT500.

The SRT-8 is the Mustang GT killer, so if you want to tangle with Dodge's next step up you're going to have to race a Viper.

Is that you evilchris?

Come on. Be honest.

:kuko:

Electrogeek,

Next time think before you speak. And next time read before you post. This is not SLOPAR...This is STANGSUNLEASHED. That SRT-8 is supposed to compete with a Shelby because it is a SPECIALTY vehicle for dodge. You are confused because the idiots put 4 doors on a charger. Shelby does smoke the SRT-8 but yet you guys love talkin smack. I would know...i have a cousin with an SRT8 charger that loves talkin smack. Cant wait for my brother in his GT to smoke him. Please do bring your beloved Viper that doesnt sell and therefore they go for UNDER MSRP. Yea..it will beat the GT500...but mod the GT500 just a little bit and it will smoke past it. Bring out the older brother Ford GT and lol.....take a wild guess what would happen. Just remember SRT is a bad bootleg of SVT. Watch these videos and learn a little something. Look at how the big daddy GT competes against your beloved farting viper. Also watch the GT500 being compared against it again....bc it is just too fast for its own class and therefore it MUST be bumped up to the SEMI-Exotic class of the Ford GT, Z06, and SRT-10. Just go to your own charger forums and see how they even admit to having no chance against the GT500. One dude thought he beat a GT500 but it was a stock GT with an eleanor appearance package (possibly a V6 but Hoping a GT) lol

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/video/roadtests.shtml

I dont hate on cars. I like them all...well most. I like Vipers and Z06s but when you talk smack ...you get smacked!

Alex

:tequila:

Not a problem, how about this..CHEVY'S SUCK :)

Welcome husker. Everyone here has been treating you with unusual kindness. There are chevy haters on here for sure. There are also those of us that just love the technology and the power whether it is from blue oval, bowtie or mopar. BTW I live in OKlahoma so I hope husker is not a shortened version of cornhusker. Strike 2. LOL Larry

Welcome husker. Everyone here has been treating you with unusual kindness. There are chevy haters on here for sure. There are also those of us that just love the technology and the power whether it is from blue oval, bowtie or mopar. BTW I live in OKlahoma so I hope husker is not a shortened version of cornhusker. Strike 2. LOL Larry

OUCH...sorry Larry.. are you one of those "f@ckin Hillbillies" :) I hope you know where that remark came from as it got a TON of airtime here in Nebraska. Seems Callahan was in a bad mood :)

Anyway, I figure I really don't want to waste my time on any Chevy brds as most of them are just jerks..and I really like the new Mustangs and all muscle for the most part ( except the GTO..it ain't a GTO, it's a Holden dang it). I would just like to hang out and talk about cars..

So what did you drive before you bought your Mustang?? I have only seen 1 GT500 in Omaha...

So the Shelby beat the new Dodge grocery getter. Don't need a "midlife crisis" to do that.

Nope, I would agree..but the Dodge/Chrysler would lose in comfort :) Heated seats, Nav system and of course 11 speaker sound system

I would LOVE to play against a GT, but I can never find anyone to play with here...unless I am driving my wife's truck, then I see Gt's, GM cars and of course ricers everywhere. I am just looking forward to the "thaw" so the Friday night racing opens up again at the local track.......

OUCH...sorry Larry.. are you one of those "f@ckin Hillbillies" :) I hope you know where that remark came from as it got a TON of airtime here in Nebraska. Seems Callahan was in a bad mood :)

Anyway, I figure I really don't want to waste my time on any Chevy brds as most of them are just jerks..and I really like the new Mustangs and all muscle for the most part ( except the GTO..it ain't a GTO, it's a Holden dang it). I would just like to hang out and talk about cars..

So what did you drive before you bought your Mustang?? I have only seen 1 GT500 in Omaha...

Just havin' fun husker. Originally from Caliprunia. Had a little muscle back in the stone age with 3 vettes. The GT500 is my first stang and I'm really liking it. Larry

I was heading home on 395 North about 4 Miles north of Reno. We Where in the Slow Lane Doing about 60mph "Something I don’t do all that often but my Wife was with me" We where listening to SIRIUS "Hair Nation" one of the Best Stations out there! When I noticed a Black Station Wagon Looking Dodge to my left. The passenger had his window down and was trying to get my attention; I didn’t want to ruin Def Leopard Pyromania that just started playing so I ignored him. The Black Dodge started nailing the gas and letting off trying to egg me on, But I Love this Song!

After about 30 Seconds of this "Seemed like 25 minutes" my wife said DO SOMTHING JEESE!

I rolled down my window and the passenger yelled LETS SEE WHAT THAT PEICE OF SH-T can do.

Remember I have my wife in the car!

My blood pressure went to 278 over 544 but I ignored him, I was eying the road and noticed a nice gap opening up ahead.

The Dodge continued to do his Speed up and slow down.

He then REALY nailed it, finely tired of me ignoring him and started pulling away.

My wife whispered to me.... YOU PU_S!

She didn’t get the last S out and I was in Second Gear at about 6000RPM's

The dodge stayed on it I think, to me he seemed like he hit a brick wall.

I went by him just as I hit 4th at about 140 and from there it was over. We caught up with the traffic and had to slow down but the Dodge stayed about 3 or 4 cars behind me. Oh yea the passenger window was up to! No more yelling!

When we got home Lisa "my Wife" was still laughing and was joking about how we should do this more often!

I am 41 Year old with a loving wife and 3 lovely kids, Is this the beginning of my Mid Life Crises?

I see a Ticket or two in my near future!

SRT8s are nothing! They are supposed to have 500hp… NOT!

Great story! I told it at the IAS in Atlanta.

Just a warning, you might find yourself sitting next to a SRT8 Jeep and from 0-60 you will have to be on your game to win and most likely will not catch up until 70-75 if you slip, snooze or get beat off the line. The jeep is AWD, so no tire slip and even bad drivers become good ones on a launch. I have seen 0-60's below 4.5 and 1/4's in the low 13's and high 12's.

Since a lot of street racing is 0-60 you may find yourself trying to catch up.

Please do not take this as a challenge, I just though you might want to know.

I find it funny that someone with a GT500 is gloating about beating a station wagon, fine you put him in his place but post. Posting this kill is kind of like ridding a moped, and we all know what they say about that. Sorry just my .02

Pehaps. But, it's still a Jeep.

I can make a Metro go fast. Why would I want to?

I think you answered your own question, to go fast.

I guess you are not a fan of the Lightning.

Not sure I would compare the Jeep to a metro and I am pretty sure GEO never made a factory performance vehicle. But, I enjoy all fast/performance vehicles and do not have a predigest towards a single manufacture or car.

Just curious, have you ever seen or been in the Jeep SRT8? how about a metro?

I think you answered your own question, to go fast.

I guess you are not a fan of the Lightning.

Not sure I would compare the Jeep to a metro and I am pretty sure GEO never made a factory performance vehicle. But, I enjoy all fast/performance vehicles and do not have a predigest towards a single manufacture or car.

Just curious, have you ever seen or been in the Jeep SRT8? how about a metro?

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Serious question.

Just a warning, you might find yourself sitting next to a SRT8 Jeep and from 0-60 you will have to be on your game to win and most likely will not catch up until 70-75 if you slip, snooze or get beat off the line. The jeep is AWD, so no tire slip and even bad drivers become good ones on a launch. I have seen 0-60's below 4.5 and 1/4's in the low 13's and high 12's.

Since a lot of street racing is 0-60 you may find yourself trying to catch up.

Please do not take this as a challenge, I just though you might want to know.

I find it funny that someone with a GT500 is gloating about beating a station wagon, fine you put him in his place but post. Posting this kill is kind of like ridding a moped, and we all know what they say about that. Sorry just my .02

Respect to your opinion! But he has the right to gloat bc that station wagon is an SRT and it has a 6.1 hemi tuned by the viper crew. Its like saying BIG DEAL A GT500 beat MB CLS AMG or even a SL AMG. (how would it not count just bc these are lux cars with big motors and high hp) It is a huge deal because those cars are meant to go fast. Racers, regardless of the bodytype. Even the SRT4 NEONS!! You gotta look at it as this. SRT = Copy Cat but not as good SVT. Have SVT work on an All-Wheeler and jeep is in trouble. So when he smokes a CHARGER (60s muscle legend but not grocery shopper) SRT, should he not brag...bc it has 2 spare doors? An SRT Jeep is a threat and a serious one at that. M2c

Alex

The only thing the SRT8 Jeep is a threat to - is my lunch money. As in when I just looked it up, I tossed up my lunch, consequently losing my money.

I don't care if that oversized land yaht had 900rwhp and ejected used hookers out of the top of it.

It's still a big, ugly, over-chromed SUV.

What's the next comparison going to be? SVT Focus vs. a Ferrari? I mean, they both come in red, but where's the power and handling on the Focus?

You know, honestly I don't know of anyone, myself included, that takes the time to join a message board on a car they can't afford don't own, to talk a bunch of noise.

You know why I don't join the nearest neighborhood Dodge Charger board? Because that thing looks like the plastic and metal incarnation of the Mullet. It's ugly, four door'd, obnoxious, and looks like something that was disgarded from the movie 'Joe Dirt' as too white trash for film.

Instead, I joined a message board filled with the car I enjoy, and like minded enthusiasts that have no illusion that this wonderfully priced 500hp car is somehow 'less than ideal' because it's a second slower than some overpriced pile of crap like the Z06.

Call me nutty, that's just how I roll. Now run along, with the rest of your troll buddies, and drink all the bottles you have stored under your kitchen sink. Remember kiddies, the ones with a skull and crossbones on them turn you into a pirate!! And everyone loves pirates arrrrrr.

Archived