TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cold air intake problems.....

fangs8

I bought a 2008 GT 500 in June of 10 with 19,000 miles from an older gentleman that took great care of the car. He had Flowmaster mufflers installed as well as the K&N cold air intake. I had a 9 hour drive home from his place and during cruising at 55-65 mph there would be a stutter every now and then. I figured maybe old gas since he didn't drive it much. The problem persisted and the engine sterted to do other strange things. If I got into the boost and then clutched quickly to slow down or coast, the engine would die. This would happen almost every time. The other symptom was during a routine drive to work, I thought i heard a Harley coming up on me and then I noticed I had no power, it sounded and felt like i had about 4 cylinders running. This event finally threw the check engine light,which soon went out. It went on again and I had the code checked and it read a LEAN condition. Also, with the CAI installed I was getting 4-6 lbs of boost and with the stock airbox and a K&N flat panel filter, 8-9 lbs of boost, no stuttering at crusing speeds, no light and no dying, EVER. Has anyone had a similar experience? K&N prints that their product WILL NOT cause an engine code, or cause an unsafe lean condition, citing that the computer can swing 26% either way in the fuel/air mixture. I personally think there is a problem with the reading the mass air sensor is getting, I mean, there is MORE air passing by the sensor, but the inlet is larger and would theoretically cause that air to move slower past the sensor correct? Also, why would the boost be considerably lower and how does that translate into the 50 some extra horsepower K&N claims to get to the rear wheels? Thanks for any help!!!!

I bought a 2008 GT 500 in June of 10 with 19,000 miles from an older gentleman that took great care of the car. He had Flowmaster mufflers installed as well as the K&N cold air intake. I had a 9 hour drive home from his place and during cruising at 55-65 mph there would be a stutter every now and then. I figured maybe old gas since he didn't drive it much. The problem persisted and the engine sterted to do other strange things. If I got into the boost and then clutched quickly to slow down or coast, the engine would die. This would happen almost every time. The other symptom was during a routine drive to work, I thought i heard a Harley coming up on me and then I noticed I had no power, it sounded and felt like i had about 4 cylinders running. This event finally threw the check engine light,which soon went out. It went on again and I had the code checked and it read a LEAN condition. Also, with the CAI installed I was getting 4-6 lbs of boost and with the stock airbox and a K&N flat panel filter, 8-9 lbs of boost, no stuttering at crusing speeds, no light and no dying, EVER. Has anyone had a similar experience? K&N prints that their product WILL NOT cause an engine code, or cause an unsafe lean condition, citing that the computer can swing 26% either way in the fuel/air mixture. I personally think there is a problem with the reading the mass air sensor is getting, I mean, there is MORE air passing by the sensor, but the inlet is larger and would theoretically cause that air to move slower past the sensor correct? Also, why would the boost be considerably lower and how does that translate into the 50 some extra horsepower K&N claims to get to the rear wheels? Thanks for any help!!!!

Ditch the K&N intake. Long time well proven that it does not work properly on the GT500. Many dyno runs and many tuners research shows its just a poorly engineered product. Go back to stock and then get a well made properly engineered product when you want to swing the $$. A proper CAI and tune will help the car significantly and NOT negatively impact driveabiltiy at all.

Ditch the K&N intake. Long time well proven that it does not work properly on the GT500. Many dyno runs and many tuners research shows its just a poorly engineered product. Go back to stock and then get a well made properly engineered product when you want to swing the $$. A proper CAI and tune will help the car significantly and NOT negatively impact driveabiltiy at all.

+1!!

That's why I chose the FRPP CAI and tune. Others prefer the JLT, but I want nothing but Ford or CS products on my car...

M-9603-SVT07.jpg

I also bought the FRPP CAI. I got a package from VMP tuning, the CAI ,SCT tuner and the 92 octane performance tune. The tune for the CAI also included the the tune for the VMP pulley if you wanted to add it later. There are several tuners out there that are very good with the GT-500 , Justin from VMP is one of them.

th_FRPPCAI.jpg

The problem persisted and the engine sterted to do other strange things. If I got into the boost and then clutched quickly to slow down or coast, the engine would die. This would happen almost every time.

I had the same problem with my car and it ended up being a vacuum leak. If you have a xcal try monitoring you short term fuel trim. It should hover around 1.00. If it is constantly above that then you may have a vacuum leak. Check all vacuum connections between the MAF meter and supercharger. - had one on the inlet of my kb that was very close to the firewall and my plastic connector was cracked causing a similar issue. Hope this helps.

I bought a K&N cold air intake and suffered the exact same stumble you describe. Its at speed when feathering the throttle though. Just a little bobble like its a carb car and not getting the right amount of fuel. I contacted K&N and they said it may be a defect in the tube and they sent me A WHOLE NEW KIT!!! I almost fainted but they said it was easier to do that then send me just the tube. I still think I can feel it do this every once in a while but am not that bothered at the moment. I did suffer a code a few times which registered as a lean condition but it was the K&N tube pulling free from the engine causing a massive air leak.

Peter

Hey when do the swap make sure you get mass air flow sensor and clean it. It may be gunked with oil from the k&N

Good luck

The KN intake needs to be tuned for, see the data here:

http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678

Thanks Justin, I sent you a data log just after putting on the pulley and tune I bought form you, at the time you said it was fine but I had not driven it enough to sense the stumble once again, I will do a datelog as soon as I get to a friends who has a windows machine (laptop) to download the gubbins from the net and get it off to you.

Thanks. Peter

Archived