TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Those who have chosen Fays2 Watts Link, diff. cover question..................

I have just received my alloy Fays2 and am gathering the other parts that I want to upgrade, one of which is the diff. cover. What cover is being used, if you choose to upgrade your axle cover from the plain stamp steel to aluminum?

Here is the FRPP option, it is nice to have drain and fill plugs on this cover, plus the girdle feature which I will probably never need for my use of the car.................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130503362217

Here is the 2011 SVTPP finned alum. cover, cooling fins are nice...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-2011-SHELBY-GT500-ALUMINUM-FINNED-REAR-END-COVER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb725afc0QQitemZ260770738112QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

What are the general thoughts?, even if you do not have a Fays2 Watts Link.

Thanks, Robert

Edited by Robert M

I have just received my alloy Fays2 and am gathering the other parts that I want to upgrade, one of which is the diff. cover. What cover is being used, if you choose to upgrade your axle cover from the plain stamp steel to aluminum?

Here is the FRPP option, it is nice to have drain and fill plugs on this cover, plus the girdle feature which I will probably never need for my use of the car.................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130503362217

Here is the 2011 SVTPP finned alum. cover, cooling fins are nice...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-2011-SHELBY-GT500-ALUMINUM-FINNED-REAR-END-COVER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb725afc0QQitemZ260770738112QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

What are the general thoughts?, even if you do not have a Fays2 Watts Link.

Thanks, Robert

General thoughts as I have the steel version of the Fays2 and I have not installed it yet. I think I read somewhere that the FRRP cover with the girdle will not fit the steel Fays2, not sure about the alloy version. I just purchased a new SVT rear axle assembly that has the finned cover, it looks like it may fit. If you look at the finned cover it appears to have two small circular flats, one at the top and one at the bottom that could possibly be drilled and tapped for fill/drain plugs. In the press release photos for the Boss Mustang it shows the finned cover and it is drilled and tapped in these locations.

Chip

General thoughts as I have the steel version of the Fays2 and I have not installed it yet. I think I read somewhere that the FRRP cover with the girdle will not fit the steel Fays2, not sure about the alloy version. I just purchased a new SVT rear axle assembly that has the finned cover, it looks like it may fit. If you look at the finned cover it appears to have two small circular flats, one at the top and one at the bottom that could possibly be drilled and tapped for fill/drain plugs. In the press release photos for the Boss Mustang it shows the finned cover and it is drilled and tapped in these locations.

Chip

Chip - From what I had understood, the FRPP cover that I linked, the G2 low profile version did clear the Fays2, but I would like to know this for sure. I too like the finned cover, and it does appear that the bosses on the cover could be drilled and tapped for drain and fill plugs.

Thanks, Robert

Chip

Come to think of it, here was a thread I started a while back related to the Fays2. Look at the pictures in the first few posts. This owner does have a Fays2 w/girdle cover.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63725-fays2-watts-link-anyone-using-this/

R

I have the FRPP low profile axle girdle cover, part # FRPP M-4033-G2 installed with the billet Shelby/Fays2 Watts link.

No problems.

The FRPP girdle cover definitely has a thicker look to it. I guess it would be toss up for either cover as an upgrade.

R

I had the low profile FRPP cover on my '09 for a bit. A nice piece, just like the SVO (read: tall) cover before it. And while the "load bolts" are theoretically a nice feature, I don't see them as mandatory by any means. I switched to the "KR" style cover after figuring out what it was and where the part was originally sourced from. Inexpensive and easy to mod as well as being as close to the original KR cover as you can get.

Easy to do if you're considering it.

I would like to know more about the KR cover. I have the pictures shown below straight from Shelby during a KR build and I do not see a bright cover on the axle assy. I called my local Ford dealer and had my parts friend look up the unique KR cover that would require a KR VIN to purchase, or at least be listed as a unique part for the KR in the listings, there was no unique number listed as KR specific. Does anyone have a picture of a produstion KR alum. diff. cover?

Here is the KR build according to SA...............

Picture1617.jpg

Picture1618.jpg

Picture1619.jpg

Picture1620.jpg

Picture1621.jpg

Picture1622.jpg

I looked again at the picture show at the bottom of page 60 and I can clearly see a black stamped steel cover with a white sticker on it. As far as I know, wasn't the 3.73 axle assy. installed in these cars as part of the original build? SA mentions nothing in this article about installing gears, and the cover in this article is definitely regular production stamped steel, painted black.

R

Edited by Robert M

Robert, much of what you are hinting at was discussed in the following thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50728-aluminum-kr-differential-cover/

The 3.73 axle assembly was installed by Ford on the line.

As to when the cover went on (according to Bill "Former SAI line Manager SGT,KR,50 SSnakes" as he lists in his sig)...

It is a KR only cover(at least at the time) It was installed during the upfit...

As to why some have the cover and some do not...

It was a mid run change some have it and some dont

He then stated...

It was used on all KR upfits on site at the time and all new arrivals...

and...

...these were installed during the KR upfit they are on the majority of the cars it was a "running change" the parts AND hardware were provided by Ford

...they went on when we sprayed additional undercoating in the wheelwells

There are also plenty of photos of the cover as it was installed on a few KR's within the above thread.

4142269616_6dededc08a_b.jpg

No different than what Blayne or I did to make our own. The only thing your local dealer can get for you is the Explorer/Mountaineer cover in its original form.

explorercoverPARTnumber.jpg?t=1299883369

Problem with that magazine article is that it doesn't provide the level of detail that either you or I want!

On edit...it would seem as though Shelby/Shelby Parts doesn't have much interest for it either. Note that it isn't on the unique parts list for the KR

ScreenHunter_02May181216.gif?t=1305735428

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Unique-Parts-s/125.htm

They do mention that the list is not complete (why not complete it then?). IIRC, I had a conversation with Blayne regarding him speaking to someone at Shelby about these covers. I thought he mentioned they still had some but didn't think anyone would be interested in one. Why not contact Robert/Sharon about one?

Tob

Edited by Tob

Robert, much of what you are hinting at was discussed in the following thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50728-aluminum-kr-differential-cover/

The 3.73 axle assembly was installed by Ford on the line.

As to when the cover went on (according to Bill "Former SAI line Manager SGT,KR,50 SSnakes" as he lists in his sig)...

As to why some have the cover and some do not...

He then stated...

and...

There are also plenty of photos of the cover as it was installed on a few KR's within the above thread.

4142269616_6dededc08a_b.jpg

No different than what Blayne or I did to make our own. The only thing your local dealer can get for you is the Explorer/Mountaineer cover in its original form.

explorercoverPARTnumber.jpg?t=1299883369

Problem with that magazine article is that it doesn't provide the level of detail that either you or I want!

On edit...it would seem as though Shelby/Shelby Parts doesn't have much interest for it either. Note that it isn't on the unique parts list for the KR

ScreenHunter_02May181216.gif?t=1305735428

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Unique-Parts-s/125.htm

They do mention that the list is not complete (why not complete it then?). IIRC, I had a conversation with Blayne regarding him speaking to someone at Shelby about these covers. I thought he mentioned they still had some but didn't think anyone would be interested in one. Why not contact Robert/Sharon about one?

Tob

Interesting, thanks Tob.

R

Interesting, thanks Tob.

R

I have seven left not including an exact KR cover replica that I'm saving for my own car. $139 plus shipping includes the correct factory Ford bolts. I was planning on saving all of them but would like to see one installed with the newest Fays2. I have one on my own car and sold several others to Shelby guys with Fays2, all have been happy. I don't know if a KR replica cover will work without trimming to take advantage of easy adjustment of the aluminum Fays2 propeller? PM if you would like one.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by LuckySnake