TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What child/baby seat fits?

zimm17

Well the boss finally approved me buying a GT500. I'll be dropping my 10 month old off at my parent's on the way to work in the mornings- so need a combination child seat for the back. Something that starts out rearward facing, then can go forward facing when he's big enough. What fits? I'd love to get the recaro... it'll stay back there and we'll get another seat for the family haulers (4runner and VW Jetta).

Let see what you got.

The rear facing is going to be hard to fit, your passenger seat will need to be very far forward. Once your child is a year old you can go to the normal seat, I have 2 Graco seats in the back of mine. Good luck my kids love to go for rides in mine, they cry when it rains out because they know we have to drive the boring ole Hemi Charger.

Boysin.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

I have a Recaro in mine. Looks great for a child seat, I have actually received several complements for it. Its also the only seat rated in both the EU and the US, that I'm aware of. It's my understanding that the safety standards in the EU for child seats is much tougher to pass.

There is no way it will work facing backwards. You can get te seat in there but unless your squid is looking at a circus career as a human pretzel you will never be able to get them into the seat. The high back and sides of the car seat are at odds with the incline of the back seat and sloping roof.

My daughter is rarely in the Shelby so I chanced it with her from ten months on. She is now 15m so it worked out.

ad8753f1.jpg

We have our second making it's arrival in November. I prey it doesn't force me to give up the SGT which is daily driver.

I have a Recaro in mine. Looks great for a child seat, I have actually received several complements for it. Its also the only seat rated in both the EU and the US, that I'm aware of. It's my understanding that the safety standards in the EU for child seats is much tougher to pass.

There is no way it will work facing backwards. You can get te seat in there but unless your squid is looking at a circus career as a human pretzel you will never be able to get them into the seat. The high back and sides of the car seat are at odds with the incline of the back seat and sloping roof.

My daughter is rarely in the Shelby so I chanced it with her from ten months on. She is now 15m so it worked out.

ad8753f1.jpg

We have our second making it's arrival in November. I prey it doesn't force me to give up the SGT which is daily driver.

I have one of those as well in my other car. Do you notice the strap being a little thin and twisting if your not careful? I have a Britax in my wife's SUV that's a very nice seat as well.

I have the Recarro High Back Booster for my 4 year old but it doesnt fit that well in the 2011. Does ayone else have problems with the headrest on the 2011. The headrest keeps the car seat from sitting flush against the back of the seat and I dont think the headrest is removable. I would prefer to have the 2010 and prior headrest since I think it would work better with a high back booster. My wife has a GRACO in her car and I am thinking about trying it in the Shelby to see if it fits any better.

BTW my Son loves this car just as much as I do! Every time we are in the car he says he wants to go fast!

The rear facing is going to be hard to fit, your passenger seat will need to be very far forward. Once your child is a year old you can go to the normal seat, I have 2 Graco seats in the back of mine. Good luck my kids love to go for rides in mine, they cry when it rains out because they know we have to drive the boring ole Hemi Charger.

Boysin.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

I have the same family cars as you. One Shelby for nice days and a hemi charger for the others. Nice!

• 5 months later...

UPDATE- baby is now 13 months- so looking for a forward facing seat/booster for him that will fit the GT500. I have the Recaro proride in the 4runner, a Britax Boelevard 70 in my wife's jetta, and a 2nd one in grandma's car. Looking at the recaro prosport but the base looks huge Recaro link Radian 65 was listed as fitting, but they're no longer made and replaced by the Diono seats- no idea if they'll fit. Diono seats

Once your child is a year old you can go to the normal seat, I have 2 Graco seats in the back of mine.

That's what the law says, not what you SHOULD do. You SHOULD keep the child rear facing as long as possible, which is usually to the limit of the seat. I have a RadianXT that can rear face all the way to 45 lbs. My daughter is 3 years old next month and still rear facing. A 20lb 1 year old in NO WAY has the neck/spine to tolerate a collision when front facing.

People - don't be in a rush to front face your child just because it's more convenient. All data points to rear facing as the safest, so do it as long as you can.

Here is some data beyond my words:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

It is strongly recommended that all children stay rear-facing beyond the minimum requirements of 1 year and 20 lbs. Children should not be turned forward-facing until they reach the maximum rear-facing limits of a convertible seat (that allows rear-facing to at least 30 lbs). These limits are either the maximum rear-facing weight limit or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat shell, whichever comes first. While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

A common question asked by parents is, "How soon can I turn my child to face forward?" The absolute minimum is to keep your child rear facing to AT LEAST one year of age AND 20 pounds in weight. In fact, it is recommended to keep your child rear-facing as long as possible, at least until they are 2 years old and preferably up to maximum weight/height limits of their convertible carseat. The American Academy of Pediatrics and other Child Passenger Safety organizations endorse this philosophy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/story?id=7818004&page=1

"A child is 5.53 times safer during their second year of life in a rear-facing car seat versus a forward-facing one," said Dr. Joseph O'Neil, a pediatrician at Riley Hospital and associate professor of pediatrics at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. "I think that this is a very important topic for child safety."

There really is no debate on it. Again - don't let your wish to have an easy seat to deal with choose your car for you or choose when you forward face.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two Recaro's in the back of mine... They fit Excellent, and I put down a car seat protector on each side... It's like a pad that sits inside the seat lower cushion area, and it has a back rest pad that protects where the backrest comes into contact with the back of the child seat.

Archived