TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why do SVT Cobra Owners call their Mustang a Shelby?

On average of 2-3 times per month we receive customer inquires where the owners of 1990's Ford SVT Mustangs with the Cobra package not only refer to their Mustang as a Shelby but they believe Shelby American built their car. Had someone this morning calling us for parts for their 2001 SVT for example.

My question is what leads them to believe this? Did the dealer lie them to when they purchased the car?

It can't be because of the Cobra emblem can it? The reason I don't want to believe its the Cobra emblem is because we don't get Mustang II Cobra owners calling us and they too have the Cobra emblem on their Mustang. We also don't get the Ford Torino owners calling us and they also have the Cobra emblem on their cars.

Do these SVT owners not realize that Carroll was under contract first with Chrysler and then General Motors when Ford built these SVT cars?

So help me understand what I'm missing because I just don't see how a SVT badge makes their car a Shelby.

Steve

It sounds like a lot of uninformed owners. It's doubtful that far back in '93 Dealers needed to proclaim an SVT as a Shelby, since they were selling like hotcakes that year.Then again, I have a '98 SVT conv and several self proclaimed "car guys" have called my car a shelby cobra mustang. I'd guess it is the tie-in on the 2011 Shelby with SVT package added that year.

I have more people refer to my 2011 Shelby GT-500 as a "Cobra" than a "Shelby". If I describe my car to a non-car person, I have to say it's a "silver Mustang" :confused:

I guess the Cobra Snake on the side is more identifiable to the 1993 to 2004 Mustang Cobra's than a Shelby. I drooled over the 1965 to 1970 Shelby's as a young guy knowing I couldn't afford one. By golly I own one now and that's all I care about. B) :

Did the dealer lie them to when they purchased the car?

I would answer YES to that question. From my experience, in many cases, it amazes me... AMAZES ME... how ill informed MANY dealers are about Shelby's. In my opinion, the VAST majority of them don't have a clue.

I was in an unnamed dealership recently and while waiting, they told me to go check out their "new Shelby". I said, which one? He says, the Boss 302. I said, that's... not a Shelby. :headscratch: He said, oh ya it is, it's made in Vegas and everything. :doh: Then we had a little talk and he blamed Ford marketing for misinforming them... LOL... I'm PRETTY SURE Ford Marketing DIDN"T tell them that Shelby made the Boss 302. Just embarrassing. :hysterical: ...and frankly disturbing.

I guess we can blame the SAAC then. LOL.

Seriously though, the confusion arises from the use of the Cobra badging on both Shelby and non-Shelby SVT cars. For instance, Bill Hamilton's avatar above is the Ford Cobra Jet logo. And, to this day, SVT is building new Cobra Jets with the Tiffany Cobra logo. Ford owns the rights the the Tiffany snake logo, which is why they can use it on the CJ cars. It's also used on the GT500, again, adding even more confusion.

I actually came across an old Shelby ad that specifically stated: "add some Cobra to your Mustang". It was common practice to add the Cobra emblems to your car to represent Shelby. However, over the years this has confused the average person.

1965_cobra_emblem.png

To me, the Cobra will always represent Mr. Carroll Shelby. And, the ONLY car I will call a 'Cobra' will be the Roadsters and Daytona Coupes.

Most people don't know the difference. Even car guys that are not into Mustangs. If it has stripes it's a "Shelby" or a "Cobra".

Dealers? 99% completely clueless. And as posted above, embarrassing, at least they should be...

I guess we can blame the SAAC then. LOL.

Seriously though, the confusion arises from the use of the Cobra badging on both Shelby and non-Shelby SVT cars. For instance, Bill Hamilton's avatar above is the Ford Cobra Jet logo. And, to this day, SVT is building new Cobra Jets with the Tiffany Cobra logo. Ford owns the rights the the Tiffany snake logo, which is why they can use it on the CJ cars. It's also used on the GT500, again, adding even more confusion.

I actually came across an old Shelby ad that specifically stated: "add some Cobra to your Mustang". It was common practice to add the Cobra emblems to your car to represent Shelby. However, over the years this has confused the average person.

1965_cobra_emblem.png

To me, the Cobra will always represent Mr. Carroll Shelby. And, the ONLY car I will call a 'Cobra' will be the Roadsters and Daytona Coupes.

(LOL) Well I'm an old Mustang guy who bought his first new one in 1970 and have been driving them ever since, including a 1970 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (hence my avatar) in the early 70's, and I whole heartly agree with you.

Many, most but not all car salesmen is just that ... salesman. They could be selling washing machines or door to door vacuum cleaners. They don't care, it's a job. And they surly don't make their money selling low production high performance cars. They make it selling SUV's, Van's, and econ boxes. Hence their lack of knowledge in the area of high performance models.

I'm a realest; I know that my 2011 Shelby GT-500 is a Ford high performance SVT Mustang built in Michigan (at least 65% US and Canada anyways) not at the Shelby facility in Nevada or at least modified from a Mustang into a Shelby. Yeah, I know in a since I'm a poser as the only real Shelby's were the AC Cobras, and 65-66 Shelby GT-350's. The 1967-68 were maybe half and by 1969 they were overweight baby Thunderbirds built by Ford more on par with my 2011 Shelby GT-500 today. I also feel that today's GT-350's are more in line with the 1965 Shelby GT-350 too.

But no matter what, I love my 2011 Ford "baby Thunderbird" that everybody calls a Shelby GT-500. I'm just old enough to know/remember the difference.

Now let me step back off the soap box and get my nomex underwear on before the flames start. :hide:

It's all good, it really is. :peelout:

..But no matter what, I love my 2011 Ford "baby Thunderbird" that everybody calls a Shelby GT-500. I'm just old enough to know/remember the difference.

Now let me step back off the soap box and get my nomex underwear on before the flames start. :hide:

It's all good, it really is. :peelout:

Bill Hamilton, I understand completely. LOL. Although, I definitely wouldn't call your GT500 a Thunderbird.

The definition of a Shelby has certainly changed over the years. I like to keep it simple. If the car was designed and approved by Carroll Shelby himself, then it's a Shelby in my book. You'll get guys that talk about where the car was built, whether it has a CSM number, if it's in the registry, who actually worked on it, whether or not Carroll Shelby worked on it, and whether it was pre or post title. I really don't care about any of that. Enjoy your car!

Bill Hamilton, I understand completely. LOL. Although, I definitely wouldn't call your GT500 a Thunderbird.

You have to remember that in 1969 and 1970 the Ford Thunderbirds were huge heavy cars. By 1969/70 you could buy a Mustang Mach 1 or even special order a standard Mustang with 428 Cobra Jet, factory Drag Packs with all the got fast goodies for about 15 to 30% less than the cost of a 1969/70 Shelby GT-500. Plus it was lighter and offered more performance based on that alone. The 1969/70 Shelby’s had become high performance luxury cars hence the “baby Thunderbird” reference. Today’s Shelby GT-500 doesn’t really equate to the Thunderbird reference because you can’t buy a Mustang with the same powertrain at a much lower price like in 1969/70. Today’s Shelby’s go fast with luxury. :dance:

• 5 months later...

I'm a realest; I know that my 2011 Shelby GT-500 is a Ford high performance SVT Mustang built in Michigan (at least 65% US and Canada anyways) not at the Shelby facility in Nevada or at least modified from a Mustang into a Shelby. Yeah, I know in a since I'm a poser as the only real Shelby's were the AC Cobras, and 65-66 Shelby GT-350's. The 1967-68 were maybe half and by 1969 they were overweight baby Thunderbirds built by Ford more on par with my 2011 Shelby GT-500 today. I also feel that today's GT-350's are more in line with the 1965 Shelby GT-350 too.

To kind of go with this, which is my personal view on it, the new Shelby GT500's are Ford SVT Cobra's. Unless, you sent your 2007 to Shelby to have the 40th package put on. Anyone can throw a badge or name on a car and it doesn't make it so. Unless Shelby, or an authorized mod shop laid hands on your car with CSM #, then it is not a Shelby whether the name is on the car or not. Plus, I really believe it takes away from Ford SVT when people think that Shelby did all of these vehicles and not Ford. The GT500's are great cars and credit should go to where credit is due.

And I agree that all of this advertising and lack of knowledge causes much confusion. I have run into this many times with people who have bought the new GT500s and think that Shelby laid hands on their car because the name is on the back. They get very angry when I tell them that it's just a badge and it's a SVT Cobra. :P

To kind of go with this, which is my personal view on it, the new Shelby GT500's are Ford SVT Cobra's. Unless, you sent your 2007 to Shelby to have the 40th package put on. Anyone can throw a badge or name on a car and it doesn't make it so. Unless Shelby, or an authorized mod shop laid hands on your car with CSM #, then it is not a Shelby whether the name is on the car or not. Plus, I really believe it takes away from Ford SVT when people think that Shelby did all of these vehicles and not Ford. The GT500's are great cars and credit should go to where credit is due.

And I agree that all of this advertising and lack of knowledge causes much confusion. I have run into this many times with people who have bought the new GT500s and think that Shelby laid hands on their car because the name is on the back. They get very angry when I tell them that it's just a badge and it's a SVT Cobra. :P

In 2005 Carroll Shelby spent over a week in Detroit at Ford SVt going over the design & make up of the new 2007 Shelby & as we all know that all the Shelbys were born out of Flat Rock. So i would say it is a Shelby NO?

Ford and Shelby seem to have a different view than you on the GT500

Shelby Approves

Ford is calling the car a unique collaboration between the legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT). "I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now," says Shelby. "And I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever."

Carroll Shelby did not appreciate or like his Cobra being called an AC Cobra. When he would autograph art prints of the Cobras, which were identified as AC Cobras on the print, he would cross out the AC and write Shelby above it signifying that it was a Shelby Cobra, not an AC Cobra. Believe me, I saw it done a few times here in Dallas when he would come here to the SCAT (Shelby Cobra Association of Texas) convention each year.

Now you know the rest of the story. :D

P.S.

How come we don't have more of you Dallas, Texas, Shelby owners in SCAT?

"They get very angry when I tell them that it's just a badge and it's a SVT Cobra"

Yeap ..... and if the Shelby name went away again ..... The present Ford Shelby GT-500 would be the same car only called a Ford Cobra with SVT stickers in place of the "Shelby" lettering. Most people now say,"I like your Mustang". I got tried of saying it's a Shelby GT-500 and now I just smile and say thanks. It's the best Mustang I've ever owned no matter what the lettering on the back says. :worship:

Archived