TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 1/4 Mile Stats

mrfarmdog

Last night I went to the test and tune at the local track. What a blast it was! It was also a learning experience to say the least. To sum it up - My driving skills suck. My 1/4 mile time was 13.759 at 104.78 MPH. Needless to say I need to spend some dedicated time learning how to launch properly. See the time slip details below. Regardless of how bad I suck now, time on the track is all I need so the rest of you watch out. My plan is to spend a lot of time at the track stock and learn how to nail my launch before I add any mods.

I also recently joined out local SVT club and met some of the members out at the track. They were very friendly and welcomed me into their group right away. It was all about having fun with them and I appreciated that. My advise to anyone that is a novice (there is bound to be at least one more on this board) is to find a local group and join it! We have a get together at the end of this month where the group rented a track for a day so I plan to get a lot of practice there for sure! Hey... my times can only get better :shades:

Now - who else with a stock GT500 can beat my time? Should be easy! I would like some friendly competition to keep this thread alive.

R/T 0.622

60 2.423

330 6.121

1/8 9.08

MPH 83.71

1000 11.61

1/4 13.759

MPH 104.78

I don't have access to a track withing 3 hrs driving, but I wonder how you would do by dumping the clutch at 2500-3000 rmp with the traction control on? That seems to work very well for me- just playing around.

I don't have access to a track withing 3 hrs driving, but I wonder how you would do by dumping the clutch at 2500-3000 rmp with the traction control on? That seems to work very well for me- just playing around.

I am sure that it could help my initial times, but I want to learn how to launch with the TCS off so I plan to do all my track times with it off. I think it will help me in the long run learn how to handle the car better and get faster times.

mrfarmdog,. have you changed the LCA's? If you have not, how is the wheel hop? What is your track altitude? I'm interested in posting some times, but my car isn't bone stock, I am a novice at the drag strip. Supposed to go to the track in about a month, keep thread alive.

Blayne

mrfarmdog,. have you changed the LCA's? If you have not, how is the wheel hop? What is your track altitude? I'm interested in posting some times, but my car isn't bone stock, I am a novice at the drag strip. Supposed to go to the track in about a month, keep thread alive.

Blayne

I am a novice too and haven't changed a thing yet on the car. With all the reading I have done over the past nine months regarding other people and times they have gotten I really want to see what I can eek out stock. Quite frankly I expected that I would be able to run about a half second lower off the bat. Also I thought the little practice I got on the street would help prep me for the track but that is not the case. As a newbie to the track, there are so many other variables thrown at you that it was difficult for me to concentrate on my time.

Here are some things I have learned from others that I think will help me to focus.

Reaction time - You will have a tendancy to race the other car to the finish line so you want to get off the line as quickly as possible right? If that is your objective then go for it but your reaction time off the line is not calculated in your time on the time slip. The timer does not start until you leave.

Personal observation - Here is a little advise from one newbie to another. This car makes ALOT of torque and if you really get on this car on take off with TCS off, you will experience ALOT of wheel spin, and if you stay on it you will have to constantly correct the car as you move down the track (due to wheel spin) and as a result your times will be very bad. You risk loosing control of your car when you do this. This is all in experience and a no brainer for those who frequent the track, but there are others out there like me that want to learn so hopefully this info will help you get better times and keep your car in tact.

I believe most people seem to be using around 3000 RPM. To tell you the truth I was concentrating on the tree and my reaction time so I can not tell you where I launched RPM wise. Now that I know reaction time does not count then I will focus on my rpm and launch better.

I am surprised that others on the board have not posted anything yet. Like I said though, my first time sucked but I know the issue is me and that with experience I can improve my times rather quickly. If others have insight for us newbies please post.

I am a novice too and haven't changed a thing yet on the car. With all the reading I have done over the past nine months regarding other people and times they have gotten I really want to see what I can eek out stock. Quite frankly I expected that I would be able to run about a half second lower off the bat. Also I thought the little practice I got on the street would help prep me for the track but that is not the case. As a newbie to the track, there are so many other variables thrown at you that it was difficult for me to concentrate on my time.

Here are some things I have learned from others that I think will help me to focus.

Reaction time - You will have a tendancy to race the other car to the finish line so you want to get off the line as quickly as possible right? If that is your objective then go for it but your reaction time off the line is not calculated in your time on the time slip. The timer does not start until you leave.

Personal observation - Here is a little advise from one newbie to another. This car makes ALOT of torque and if you really get on this car on take off with TCS off, you will experience ALOT of wheel spin, and if you stay on it you will have to constantly correct the car as you move down the track (due to wheel spin) and as a result your times will be very bad. You risk loosing control of your car when you do this. This is all in experience and a no brainer for those who frequent the track, but there are others out there like me that want to learn so hopefully this info will help you get better times and keep your car in tact.

I believe most people seem to be using around 3000 RPM. To tell you the truth I was concentrating on the tree and my reaction time so I can not tell you where I launched RPM wise. Now that I know reaction time does not count then I will focus on my rpm and launch better.

I am surprised that others on the board have not posted anything yet. Like I said though, my first time sucked but I know the issue is me and that with experience I can improve my times rather quickly. If others have insight for us newbies please post.

That's good information. This will sound kinda bad, but I'm thinking about going to the book store today to find out what's available to read about the subject. I heard some very experianced racers have written books for the begginer. I'm also wondering about using the TC with stock tires, sounds like it could really help and might give me a better feel for what should be happening. I'm still trying to figure out what tires will be best for the strip and some street use. I heard from some pretty knowlageable guys that BFG makes a great drag strip radial and will be available for our cars. I hope other chime in to speak about how they have done.

That's good information. This will sound kinda bad, but I'm thinking about going to the book store today to find out what's available to read about the subject. I heard some very experianced racers have written books for the begginer. I'm also wondering about using the TC with stock tires, sounds like it could really help and might give me a better feel for what should be happening. I'm still trying to figure out what tires will be best for the strip and some street use. I heard from some pretty knowlageable guys that BFG makes a great drag strip radial and will be available for our cars. I hope other chime in to speak about how they have done.

Blayne

I just connected you with our Hermann MO meet. You are going with us on the 20th the Gateway International Midnight Madness correct?

Archived