TEAM SHELBY FORUM

and my heart just dropped...

So,

Im driving my 350 home from the car wash, and Im on the service road doing 40 mph....tires wet, almost rush hour, no chances, right?

All of a sudden, a :censored: pidgeon, yes, one of those craptacular birds swoops in and flies straight into my grill. No time to react, and Im just stunned. Now Im driving the rest of the way home wondering what damage was done, and if I will ever get a frickin replacement part for my car in at least the lifetime of my children. As much as I was dreading the damage, I looked it over really well, and no damage, no scratches, and just a few feathers stuck in the grill.

What the hell was that bird thinking? It did get ME thinking though, while I appreciate Shelby got me my car early on, and I have had time to enjoy it a little, I already have a couple parts I need replaced, and cant get the parts, and with this close call now Im getting to the point where I cant risk driving it for fear I'll break something I cant drive it without.

That sux. As much as I would love to SS my GT500, I have thought about further creating difficulty in fixing my vehicle which is a daily driver. With that said, I'll probably go upgrade crazy like everyone else.

I am happy the bird did not do any damage to your 'baby.' That, of course, does not mean it did not do anything to your mental state.

I was, VERY slowly, pulling into a parking spot at a local restaurant with my 350, not wanting to scrape the front spoiler, when I hear what I thought was the bottom of the spoiler scraping against the curb. I immediately stopped and backed off. When I got out, I checked for any visible scrapes. Well, the sound I heard was the very front tip of the spoiler snapping off. Fortunately, it was a clean break. The snapped piece, about 12 inches in length, laid on the ground. My first reaction was OMG!! Then I calmed down, put the piece in the car and went in to enjoy a nice meal with friends. Am going over to a good friend's restoration shop this morning to have it fixed. These cars will bet scares. Part of owning one is dealing with them in a logical manner. You can be sure I will either use a 'spotter' from now on, or park where there are no curbs!

Yeah, that bird was way over me and swooped in like it was either playing with me, or attacking me.....darwin and natural selection at work. I looked in the rear view and the bird was shedding feathers but still in flight, so lucky I was going so slow (for both the car and the bird) although Im sure the bird didnt come away unscathed, but it didnt get knocked out and it didnt break a wing.

Washing by hand is my preffered method, but I have been known to run it through a touchless car wash a couple times. With Vinyl stripes, it isnt a good idea, but if you keep it waxed, it should harm the paint job. The plastic in the engine compartment probably is a different story, but, hey, sometimes I just dont have time to detail it myself, and as much as I love my car, Im not the guy that pulls out a full detail kit on any occasion. Im the guy that calls a good detailer.:hysterical: I like driving, not cleaning.

As for the parts issues, I know it is hard to get replacements on just about all of them, body wise. Im still sans a front splitter 6 months later, and I have tried to order a couple other parts I cant seem to get. Other than price, its the one really strong argument for the BOSS. If you break a part on that car, you call a Ford dealer, one time, and in a week you should be good as new. That may change at some point in the near future as it appears the 350 program is moving ahead rapidly, but for now, I think us owners need to be as careful as humanly possible. I want everyone that is waiting for theirs to not have to wait an extra week or two because we are taking away inventory of parts, but at the same time, I want to keep my car in new condition and not have to worry about what might happen everytime I back it out of the garage. :shrug: Its a predicament.

Warren,

They are flying rats, those friggin pigeons. Only thing worse is the sea gulls. Glad the car was ok. Since my ride has already been violated, I have chilled a bit about being insane over her. That said, I no longer take the car on errands or to the god foresaken school drop off / pick up line. You know indo drive it on the track and maybe in should not but I feel safer on the track then on the street.

However, since these cars will be very rare, especially the 45th cars, the boss will replace the 350 for next years track season.

Good luck with the parts acquisition. Been there - it is not easy.

You've probably heard this one before. When they had first introduced the GT500KR, they were racing it around at Miller Motor Sports Park in Utah, when a bird of some sort hit the KR in the hood, (i know it was probably the other way around) but it's never a Shelby's fault! The replacement hood was listed at nearly $20,000 and created quite an uproar on these forums. They Shelby Performance Parts eventually lowered it to $9500 from absurd to just slightly less than absurd. No telling what kind of damage these critters can do! I have a KR and have taken a preventive measure and removed the carbon fiber splitter and bolted on a stock splitter from the dealer. $170 vs $3500. I have a deep gutter to my property and have already scraped it several times. For a show or something I will just swap it back out.

Ok Warren, it's not the birds fault, it's yours. It is a time and space issue. I think Einstien wrote something about it. If you had been going faster versus poking along at 40 mph, you would have been in a different time and space. The bird would have hit the 18 wheeler, and everything including your blood pressure would be hunky dory. So the moral of the story is, go faster, turn harder. Serioulsly, glad there was no damage.

Glad to hear that your car came out okay. I have had to slam on the brakes a few times when a bird looked like it was heading right for me.

My other HUGE worry is hitting a deer. There are tons of them around here....everywhere. I've had about 3 really, really, really close encounters with them in my Shelby. But luckily I'm always looking and scanning left and right for movement. The one came out and just stood there and would not move....no matter what I did...so I backed the heck out of there and turned around and went the other way! There was no way I was going to try to speed by him.

Hey Warren ,

Sorry to hear about your car , but I am glad your handling it well and getting parts. Now if you could just convince those dum drunk birds to stay away from the Crown Royal and fly straight you will be all good. :confused:

BTW ; I have a couple half gallons of Crown waiting for you ,Sean and the rest of the gang for the Dearborn Event. :happy feet:

So come rested and ready for fun !!!

Scotty g.

Hey Warren ,

Sorry to hear about your car , but I am glad your handling it well and getting parts. Now if you could just convince those dum drunk birds to stay away from the Crown Royal and fly straight you will be all good. :confused:

BTW ; I have a couple half gallons of Crown waiting for you ,Sean and the rest of the gang for the Dearborn Event. happy feet.gif

Scotty g.

Man, will that be welcome after the long drive..................... :beerchug:

Hey Warren ,

BTW ; I have a couple half gallons of Crown waiting for you ,Sean and the rest of the gang for the Dearborn Event. happy%20feet.gif

Scotty g.

Holy CRAP! Guess I better get in drinking shape. Practice makes perfect! :beerchug: :tequila: :party:

Holy CRAP! Guess I better get in drinking shape. Practice makes perfect! :beerchug: :tequila: :party:

I think I'll start drinking myself. I got word today that my front splitter or fascia may have gotten damaged when they loaded my car on transport vehicle. SA says that they heard a loud scrape when loaded. The trucking company said everything was ok and nothing got damaged. I'll know the truth when the car arrives Thursday. Hopefully everything will be alright when they arrive.

Kris

• 3 weeks later...

So,

Im driving my 350 home from the car wash, and Im on the service road doing 40 mph....tires wet, almost rush hour, no chances, right?

All of a sudden, a :censored: pidgeon, yes, one of those craptacular birds swoops in and flies straight into my grill. No time to react, and Im just stunned. Now Im driving the rest of the way home wondering what damage was done, and if I will ever get a frickin replacement part for my car in at least the lifetime of my children. As much as I was dreading the damage, I looked it over really well, and no damage, no scratches, and just a few feathers stuck in the grill.

What the hell was that bird thinking? It did get ME thinking though, while I appreciate Shelby got me my car early on, and I have had time to enjoy it a little, I already have a couple parts I need replaced, and cant get the parts, and with this close call now Im getting to the point where I cant risk driving it for fear I'll break something I cant drive it without.

OUCH Warren...this is precisely 'one' of my reasons for NOT ordering a 350! Lack of parts and NOT feeling like I can drive it without being on eggshells? My vinyl striped GT500 was worriesome enuf!

BTW- your incident makes me think of the Randy Johnson fastball!!! :cry: poor birdie...wrong place at the wrong time.

OUCH Warren...this is precisely 'one' of my reasons for NOT ordering a 350! Lack of parts and NOT feeling like I can drive it without being on eggshells? My vinyl striped GT500 was worriesome enuf!

BTW- your incident makes me think of the Randy Johnson fastball!!! :cry: poor birdie...wrong place at the wrong time.

Great recall. I remember that birdie.

Archived