TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires shaking

lemarin

Since I have my car, I was complaining about a small vibration appearing in the steering wheel, from 110 km/h up. Driving at this speed, you could really see the steering wheel vibrationg, visually not only by feeling. I know the Supercar tires are really stiff tire and you really feel every small crack in the road, but there was really something happening near 110 km/h.

So this morning I went to the garage to rebalance the front tires. The vibrations is almost gone in the steering wheel, but there's still some vibration in the car, at crusing speed above 110 km/h. I'll go this afternoon to rebalance the rear ones, this might help.

Any one of you are experiencing vibration with the SVT PP tires/wheel setup ? Since it's very stiff tires,with the combination of a sport and stiff car, small vibrations here and there might be normal.

What you guys think about it ?

Sounds like you are on the right track. If the fronts were out of balance possibly the rear also. Once you balance the rears you should know if that was the problem. Another area that vibration can come from is the driveshaft, but much more unlikely. I guess in a few reported cases a balance weight has come off of the driveshaft causing some vibration. Usually though if you feel it in the steering wheel it's the tire balance or a bad tire.

I test drove again this afternoon, with juste the front wheels rebalanced. It's not vibrating like before, but I still feel a slight vibration still near 115 km/h.....but not as much as before. The mechanics this morning told me my both front wheels are just perfect, so they are not the problem.

I will test drive further more before to have the rear onesrebalanced as well...

I test drove again this afternoon, with juste the front wheels rebalanced. It's not vibrating like before, but I still feel a slight vibration still near 115 km/h.....but not as much as before. The mechanics this morning told me my both front wheels are just perfect, so they are not the problem.

I will test drive further more before to have the rear onesrebalanced as well...

id check alignment too--unlikely it would cause vibration, but it could happen---+1 on checking the driveshaft weights

It's not while bracking, it's really while crusing at constant highway speed, and it's not happening evertime driving the same crusing speed. I'll try to notice if it happend mostly while accelerating, or when I'm not touching the gas pedal....

Dude these tires flat spot over night, when I pull my ride out to drive, I have a vibration in the wheel only when I let go I can see it but I don't feel nada.....after about 5-10min s of driving, when the tires heat up then it's smooth sailing.....if you feel this is not your problem then I would go get them road forced balanced.....GL.....

I drove her 2 complete hours this morning and its definetely the front tires only who needs a better balance. If it was the drving shaft, it would shaking only while running the engine in gear, not when in neutral position.... I guess. No ? Anyway i feel it in the steering wheel only.

Dude these tires flat spot over night, when I pull my ride out to drive, I have a vibration in the wheel only when I let go I can see it but I don't feel nada.....after about 5-10min s of driving, when the tires heat up then it's smooth sailing.....if you feel this is not your problem then I would go get them road forced balanced.....GL.....

Interesting. I had my car stored/parked for the winter for nearly five months (never moved) and did not have any flat spots. Not doubting, but maybe you have a defective tire(s).

Edit: I have Nittos... so maybe the OEMs have a tenancy for flat spots, but I don't recall having any issues with them either.

Interesting. I had my car stored/parked for the winter for nearly five months (never moved) and did not have any flat spots. Not doubting, but maybe you have a defective tire(s).

Edit: I have Nittos... so maybe the OEMs have a tenancy for flat spots, but I don't recall having any issues with them either.

Well I'm sure you have it with your nittos as well,you don't notice it cause it's something you don't feel as stated in my previous post, its rather something you see when you take your hands off the steering wheel when going speeds in excess of 60....all these low profile, soft treadwear tires seem to do it...but hey if yours don't then sweet...but I am pretty sure this is a normal characteristic and doubt I am missing a weight cause after about 5minutes it's smooth as silk...

Well I'm sure you have it with your nittos as well,you don't notice it cause it's something you don't feel as stated in my previous post, its rather something you see when you take your hands off the steering wheel when going speeds in excess of 60....all these low profile, soft treadwear tires seem to do it...but hey if yours don't then sweet...but I am pretty sure this is a normal characteristic and doubt I am missing a weight cause after about 5minutes it's smooth as silk...

mine do it overnight--it just takes 5-10 minutes at speed and theyre fine

mine do it overnight--it just takes 5-10 minutes at speed and theyre fine

It gets much more pronounced when you get the tires HOT, then park it overnight and let them cool. The cooler they get, the more you'll notice the flat spot. And as soon as you get the tires warm the tires soften up and the flat spot goes away.

The old glass belted tires were TERRIBLE for flat spotting. The nylon takes a set in no time and took a little longer to heat back up to soften out the spot.

Phill

Is it possible that there is permanent flat spot on the front tires, due to the long time the car was parked in the dealer backyard ? If yes, the weight to balance the wheels should compensated for that as well, no ?

In my case, even after driving 100 km it's still vivrating the same, around 110 km/h to 120 km/h, so the exact speed I cruise on the highway 95% of the time, it's very annoying. So my problem is definetly not temporary flat spot.

Maybe bad tires, dammaged tires...not sure yet. Can it be something else in the steering ? Ball joint, rod ?

the only way to go is the "road force" balance. this is not only the most accurate balance but will tell you if you have a bad tire. My local tire guy will not road force balance if the car is cold or been sitting so that should tell you something.That said.....I have a trouble with mine and the dealer replaced oneof my rear tires. Its about 98% better but I wouldnt say perfect. I sure a combination of stiffer replacement springs and these tires.

Is it possible that there is permanent flat spot on the front tires, due to the long time the car was parked in the dealer backyard ? If yes, the weight to balance the wheels should compensated for that as well, no ?

In my case, even after driving 100 km it's still vivrating the same, around 110 km/h to 120 km/h, so the exact speed I cruise on the highway 95% of the time, it's very annoying. So my problem is definetly not temporary flat spot.

Maybe bad tires, dammaged tires...not sure yet. Can it be something else in the steering ? Ball joint, rod ?

I had a vibration on mine too but it was while braking. There is a TSB that addresses that. The do some reprogramming with the EPAS to fix it. Might want to swing into a dealer and ask about it.

I believe steve-o pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I picked my car up I drove it about 65mi back home. It had a terrible vibration at about the same speed (70-80mph) as you mentioned especially when negotiating a curve. I took it into the local dealer the next day and mentioned it to the Svc Mgr and he reprogrammed the EPAS per the TSB and it was corrected after a few miles.

For my money I would let the dealership work with it before spending my money on hit or miss fixes. JMHO :peelout:

Good Luck!

I dont think the dealer would do a great job, as much as a specialized tires shop. If there's Any méchanical problem, yes I'll go with the dealer for sure.

Today I have an appointment with another tires Shop recommended by a good friend of mine. The guys is perfectionnist and is usually spending a lot more time doing a perfect job.

More to come today...

Finally, the mechanic shows me the tire flat spot. In fact, all 4 tires had a permanent flat spot, probably due to the fact that the car was sit in the backyard for many months. So what he did, is deflate each tire and turns every one of them one on their rims, about 180 degrees. Then, he reinflat the tires to about 60 PSI, to allow them to reintegrate their original shape, without flat spot, and finally rebalance them. There was still a very small flat spot left on the tires, but about 60% less than before.

I made a test drove and about 95% of the vibrations are now gone. I'm happy of the happy end, hope it will last. Something's sure: for the next winter, the car will stay in my garage for about 5 months with no movement, si I'll make sure to sit the car up, not sitting on her tires.

Good info. Bought my car (with perf pack) in mid Oct after it sat in a showroom over the summer for a few months. I then ended up storing it 6 months this past winter. I did move it a bit every month to help the tires a bit. Drove her slow for the first few miles when I pulled her out in the spring. After about 15 minutes it was much better. No problems now but it sounds like I may have been lucky.

The dealer will only reprogram your computer for the EPAS. They do nothing with the tires. If you are still experiencing this issue after all you have done with the tires, you really should just get it in for the TSB. No charge and they shouldn't have to drive your car at all.

TSB 10-16-4

5.4L - STEERING SHUDDER/NIBBLE/PULL/DRIFT - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/2/2010

Publication Date: August 13, 2010

FORD:

2011 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles equipped with a 5.4L engine and built on or before 8/2/2010 may exhibit steering wheel shudder under heavy braking, steering wheel nibble, or a drift/pull condition.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 67.06 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Ok, thanks for the information. Mine was shaking, but not while braking only, but all the time accelerating, or driving at constant speed near 110 km/h. Anyway after seing the tires on the balancing machine, it's easy to understand why it was vibrating in the steering wheel.

Ok, thanks for the information. Mine was shaking, but not while braking only, but all the time accelerating, or driving at constant speed near 110 km/h. Anyway after seing the tires on the balancing machine, it's easy to understand why it was vibrating in the steering wheel.

DUDE!

Re-read the symptom. It's NOT "just under braking". It's "Under hard braking, OR.... (steering wheel nibble/drift pull condition).

Your car is exhibiting the exact symptoms the TSB is describing. You've had multiple people tell you to take it to a dealer and get the TSB (and it's FREE) and you have all but ignored their advice.

If you have a road crown, THAT is a "drift/pull condition" and THAT is the symptom you will get. Others have come on this forum and described your same exact symptom, taken the forum members advice, taken it to a a dealer, had the TSB peformed and IT CURED THEIR SYMPTOM.

I don't know why you're being so stubborn but it sure seems like you are.

My thinking is, if you're not going to take the advice of the people here, why even bother to ask the question???

Bottom line is: IT CAN'T HURT (to get the TSB done). And it MAY very well clear your symptoms.

What your mechanic did was over inflate the tire to try and stretch the cords out. HOPEFULLY, he didn't rip/tear any cords so you have a weak spot in your tires now. 60psi is the MAX you should ever take a tire to and there's a reason for that.

Don't take this personal, it's not meant to be. I'm just having a REAL HARD time understanding why when you have MULTIPLE people telling you the (possible/potential) cure for your car, you refuse to listen to them and take their advice.

Puzzled,

Phill Pollard (Professional Auto Repair Tech, Emeritis)

Thanks for your honnest comment Phil !

I still do have an appointment with my Ford dealer for next week. I'll probably go to this appointment, but according to my last driving, the vibrations seems to be all gone by now. For some reasons on my car, the vibrations always appeared at the same speed, while driving quietly, hard, in cornering, etc....what I means is that it always appears at the same speed range, whatever the type/conditions of driving I was doing.

What I hate the most is to fight with the dealer I and always try to avoid it. Also if I've been at first to an independant garage, it's because I wanted an independant opinion on the problem, and also because my local dealer had few weeks of delays before to give me an appointment.

If I can easily convince the dealer to apply the TSB update, it would be perfect because I don'T want them to pass through the rebalancing process once again. It's been done and all 4 wheels are perfectly balanced right now.

To be continued...

• 2 weeks later...

I had my appointment this morning at the dealer. They test drove the car with me, and admit it was shaking.

I have a second appointment next week, so using road force balancing they'll see if there's any permanent flat spots on all 4 tires. In that case, they'll change all 4 tires, they're just not sure if they'll claim them to Ford Canada or Goodyears Canada...it'S not my problem anyway !

I mention them about the TSB, and even show them a copy of it I took from internet and they say it did not apply to my car.

I had my appointment this morning at the dealer. They test drove the car with me, and admit it was shaking.

I have a second appointment next week, so using road force balancing they'll see if there's any permanent flat spots on all 4 tires. In that case, they'll change all 4 tires, they're just not sure if they'll claim them to Ford Canada or Goodyears Canada...it'S not my problem anyway !

I mention them about the TSB, and even show them a copy of it I took from internet and they say it did not apply to my car.

I hope they get it figured out. They may be right about the TSB depending on your build date.

What piss me off, is that the problem has probably done by the dealer itself, leaving the car too long parked in the same position, enough to make flat spot on all 4 tires. But the dealer don't like to pay for this now, so he's trying to get new tires paid either by Goodyears, or by Ford Canada......but in fact he's really the one to blame !

Lets see thursday what will be the fact on these tires according to their diagnostic....

Update again: they have checked all 4 tires on a road force, and all 4 are in the specs, but the front ones are close to the limit. Also they applied the TSB at the same time. After a road test with the supervisor, the vibration was still present, small one but still there....so they order me 2 brand new front tires and should have them replaced by next week.

Hope this will completely fix my problem !

Archived