TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine fail safe mode

I am out of town and don't have my owners manual.

I got an "ENGINE FAIL SAFE MODE" code today while driving , it says press reset to clear.

After pressing reset the code goes away but the car shuts down at slightly over 3000 rpms.

The code showed up when I was setting the cruise control, it quit working at the same time.

Oil and coolant look good and everything under the hood looks normal.

Any ideas? Does it need to go to the dealer for diagnosis?

Thanks

It sounds like you car is in limp mode. Usually, the EEC will only do that if it finds a possibly severe problem. I'd almost guarantee that there's an DTC stored. If you have a code scanner, let us know what the code is, IE P_ _ _ _. If you don't have one, I'd take to a shop.

It sounds like you car is in limp mode. Usually, the EEC will only do that if it finds a possibly severe problem. I'd almost guarantee that there's an DTC stored. If you have a code scanner, let us know what the code is, IE P_ _ _ _. If you don't have one, I'd take to a shop.

A lot of the discound auto parts stores will check codes for free.

Pep-Boys, Autozone, O'Rilley's, etc.

They'll check the code and tell you what it is then you can decide if you want to check the system, have them check it or take it to the dealer and have them do it.

But at least you'll know what it is.

Phill

side question: any way to force the car into limp mode safely (almost like setting the Mykey to do so to act like a Valet key?) I am trying to think of a way to limit the RPMs and boost while not having to get a programmer and getting a 2nd tune as an option.

THANKS GUYS, FORD COULDN'T GET IT IN FOR A WEEK, AUTOZONE SAID THEY HAD NO WAY TO CHECK IT.

SOOOO, I DISCONECTED THE BATTERY, WAITED A FEW MINUTES, HOOKED BACK UP AND, NO MORE CODE.

I FIQURED IF IT WAS SOMETHING SERIOUS IT WOULD TRIP IT AGAIN. SO FAR SO GOOD.

IF IT POPS UP AGAIN I'LL GET IT CHECKED OUT.

THANKS GUYS, FORD COULDN'T GET IT IN FOR A WEEK, AUTOZONE SAID THEY HAD NO WAY TO CHECK IT.

SOOOO, I DISCONECTED THE BATTERY, WAITED A FEW MINUTES, HOOKED BACK UP AND, NO MORE CODE.

I FIQURED IF IT WAS SOMETHING SERIOUS IT WOULD TRIP IT AGAIN. SO FAR SO GOOD.

IF IT POPS UP AGAIN I'LL GET IT CHECKED OUT.

Hi Mate,

This happened to me sometime ago, all you need to do is to turn on and off the engine. You dont need to disconnect the battery.

In my case i had a minor exhaust o2 signal problem, wasnt a problem.

It happened as the revs got too low and the car shifted into failsafe mode.

My tuner, has now fixed this, and i have had 10,000 miles of driving following with no errors.

Cheers

Jason.

Translation: No code reader, take to shop.

Hi Mate,

This happened to me sometime ago, all you need to do is to turn on and off the engine. You dont need to disconnect the battery.

In my case i had a minor exhaust o2 signal problem, wasnt a problem.

It happened as the revs got too low and the car shifted into failsafe mode.

My tuner, has now fixed this, and i have had 10,000 miles of driving following with no errors.

Cheers

Jason.

Archived