TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Doughnut spare fit on GT500?

I'm taking a long trip soon and the idea of not having a spare is killing me. I know the GT spare won't fit in the front becuse of the Brembos, but will it fit on the back? I can get one out of the junkyard cheap.

I'm taking a long trip soon and the idea of not having a spare is killing me. I know the GT spare won't fit in the front becuse of the Brembos, but will it fit on the back? I can get one out of the junkyard cheap.

Donut will fit with a .125 or.25 inch spacer behind it...has to be 18 inch spare....buy it put spacer in and check it out...... .

It might fit, but it will not work... unless it has the same tire height. If not, then you'll damage the differential/gears. Here's my spare tire mod: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63533-spare-tire-mod-pics/page__p__1081923__hl__spare__fromsearch__1#entry1081923

I have 19's so I wondered how the smaller wheel would affect my differential. I wanted to avoid buying an OEM rim (even the knock-offs are expensive) but guess that's my only choice. My alternative is to pack a scissor jack and lug wrench and use the plug kit I bought. At least I don't have to use the goo.

I have 19's so I wondered how the smaller wheel would affect my differential. I wanted to avoid buying an OEM rim (even the knock-offs are expensive) but guess that's my only choice. My alternative is to pack a scissor jack and lug wrench and use the plug kit I bought. At least I don't have to use the goo.

The wheel size is not necessarily the issue... it's the overall tire height/circumference. You don’t want one wheel rotating faster than the other, which “can” damage the gears. This is discussed in the aforementioned link/thread…

if youre a handy guy (which im not) then check out several posts by Grabber on the impressive job he did with his spare--- my memory is it was posted last year and in 2010--- bob

Mullens I've never had an issue with using a tire plug while the tire remains on the car. The front, just turn your wheel, the back you need to have a blanket and get slightly dirty but it's really not that big a deal unless you have bad knees or back. Of course a jack would be easier but also would take a little longer.

if youre a handy guy (which im not) then check out several posts by Grabber on the impressive job he did with his spare--- my memory is it was posted last year and in 2010--- bob

The mustang gt with 19 inch wheels comes with an 18 inch spare. The diameter of the spare is the same as the 19 inch tire combination.... the aspect ratio of teh spare is different to compensate. The spare needs a spacer to clear the caliper offsert on the brembos. I have a roush 18 inch mini spare in my car and it matches up with the 19 tires perfectly.

Mullens I've never had an issue with using a tire plug while the tire remains on the car. The front, just turn your wheel, the back you need to have a blanket and get slightly dirty but it's really not that big a deal unless you have bad knees or back. Of course a jack would be easier but also would take a little longer.

Yes that's probably what I'll do. I do have AAA plus with 100 miles of towing but it would suck getting the car flat-bedded for a flat tire. That and the fact that you don't know what kid of place they'll tow you to. I have nightmares of getting a flat in bumf**## Idaho and that guy from National Lampoon's vacation saying "How much you got boy!"

The mustang gt with 19 inch wheels comes with an 18 inch spare. The diameter of the spare is the same as the 19 inch tire combination.... the aspect ratio of teh spare is different to compensate. The spare needs a spacer to clear the caliper offsert on the brembos. I have a roush 18 inch mini spare in my car and it matches up with the 19 tires perfectly.

Interesting. I did price a GT spare and it was like $300. The 19's are hard to find in the scrapyard right now. Might as well buy an knock off OEM rim. I even asked the tire guy at the dealer if he had a take off he could sell me but no go.

I'd like to see this... I searched "spare" back to 2006 without finding the thread...

Interesting. I did price a GT spare and it was like $300. The 19's are hard to find in the scrapyard right now. Might as well buy an knock off OEM rim. I even asked the tire guy at the dealer if he had a take off he could sell me but no go.

American Muscle has good prices $125ish if I remeber right, forget $300 for a spare...

Archived