TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is "Corvette" a bad word here?

I really can't wait for my GT 350, but my garage was begging for an older vette. I have loved the C3 model since I was a little kid. I had to do something to tide me over until my Shelby comes. I bought a low miles 1980 vette with an oyster interior and black exterior. Needs a new interior but it is mechanically sound and unmolested. All original except for the wheels. Looks fantastic.

Oh, and just so everyone knows, its going on the far end of my 3 car garage. My Shelby gets front and center, LOL. :happy feet:

Corvette owners, all though slow and hard of hearing, can still serve a purpose. :lol:

QSS

As long as its not a rice burner, its cool. I drive a 1951 willys jeep pickup truck for my everyday driver. It has a strong sounding v8 chevy engine.

Kris

Dumb and Dumber post and Dumb and Dumber sig... is someone a fan?... that is hilarious btw.

I respect all american cars, after all thats what drove shelby to build the bad ass mustang.

Corvette owners, all though slow and hard of hearing, can still serve a purpose. :lol:

QSS

Dude......... wow, that just cracked me up so much!!! :hysterical:

I can se Lloyd saying that right now.....

During the grand opening of High Plains Raceway here in Colorado they had pay for rides in different cars. The Ford GT was sold out, so I paid for 6 full speed laps in a ZR1 with Mr. Matthews (from the Matthews collection in Dever) driving. All I can say is wow......165 mph on the front stretch, brakes that never fade... it was awsome. While I am a Ford Man for sure, my father was Mopar, and I can appreciate any brand with muscle and art. Love it. Even if it's just tupperware on wheels.... :slapfight:

During the grand opening of High Plains Raceway here in Colorado they had pay for rides in different cars. The Ford GT was sold out, so I paid for 6 full speed laps in a Z06 with Mr. Matthews (from the Matthews collection in Dever) driving. All I can say is wow......165 mph on the front stretch, brakes that never fade... it was awsome. While I am a Ford Man for sure, my father was Mopar, and I can appreciate any brand with muscle and art. Love it. Even if it's just tupperware on wheels.... :slapfight:

Jeff,

Having driven real Corvettes last week for the first time ever (not just the pretty ones from the 60's) I have to admit that I was impressed too. The cars set up for the track were tight in the suspension, amazing brakes and tires (probably not stock, Goodyear everywhere). My criticism was that the car was not well built inside. Door panels were falling off, etc. We were told that GM supplies the cars and I'm pretty sure that GM sells a few more Corvettes because of the exposure people get to them in this class.

I will also state that the ZR1 is in a class all by itself - and the right tool (ZR1) in the hands of a craftsman (Bondurant) was a work of art. Its competition would have to be the Ford GT and Ferrari class vehicles. Rock solid suspension, incredible power and amazing brakes.

To the other topic of "What would you do to a Shelby GT to compete with a Z06?" I don't think it's possible frankly.

Just my 2c.

During the grand opening of High Plains Raceway here in Colorado they had pay for rides in different cars. The Ford GT was sold out, so I paid for 6 full speed laps in a Z06 with Mr. Matthews (from the Matthews collection in Dever) driving. All I can say is wow......165 mph on the front stretch, brakes that never fade... it was awsome. While I am a Ford Man for sure, my father was Mopar, and I can appreciate any brand with muscle and art. Love it. Even if it's just tupperware on wheels.... :slapfight:

:hysterical2::hysterical2:

I gotta use that one.

I updated my post above to say ZR1, yea, I know, not even a comparison to the Z06, but you know, they all look a like!

This one actually, (from the Matthews collection web site) Harry Matthews is in his later 70's or so, but man that guy can still push this thing around a track. I wasn't expecting much, but wow....

2011-ZR1_02_250.jpg

Um...also... to the original poster...where's the pics?

I don't have a down load cable for my current camera. Planning to update this summer.

Here's the EBAY link with photos. Was told it doesn't leak oil. Had it in my garage 12 hours and guess what, it leaks oil. Taking it to a mechanic tomorrow. I guess they all leak oil. :headscratch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260773288348&viewitem=#v4-36

Looks like a great deal for a very nice car. Wow, nice low miles. I think you got a great deal. Definitely need to get some wheels on that thing, but other than that, looks like a fun ride! I'd get some wheels and drive and enjoy it! Power will be coming soon to your door!

Bad word....................... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Roger

I think a shelby can run with z06 or a zr1.... If not , send it to SA and get a tune up. My gt350 better run with these cars or I'll be disappointed.

Kris

So this is my first 24 hours with the car. This a.m. I found out it leaks probably oil and radiator fluid (both brown and green fluid on the right side near the the right front wheel). This evening the power drivers window, which the prior 20 or so ours we've "known each other" worked fine, would only go up to about 2 inches short of closing (aarg!). I was freaking out but my sister in law put it into perspective: "Just enjoy it with its imperfections and sell it in a few years". Good advice. I love driving it, rattles and all, LOL. I'll park a card board mat under it, check the fluids once in awhile, and wait for my new Shelby. :happy feet: I did locate the options tag and it is coded for the oyster interior and black exterior, which it has. The engine is also original and works great. Probably can't go wrong (fingers crossed). Taking it to a good mechanic tomorrow.

So this is my first 24 hours with the car. This a.m. I found out it leaks probably oil and radiator fluid (both brown and green fluid on the right side near the the right front wheel). This evening the power drivers window, which the prior 20 or so ours we've "known each other" worked fine, would only go up to about 2 inches short of closing (aarg!). I was freaking out but my sister in law put it into perspective: "Just enjoy it with its imperfections and sell it in a few years". Good advice. I love driving it, rattles and all, LOL. I'll park a card board mat under it, check the fluids once in awhile, and wait for my new Shelby. :happy feet: I did locate the options tag and it is coded for the oyster interior and black exterior, which it has. The engine is also original and works great. Probably can't go wrong (fingers crossed). Taking it to a good mechanic tomorrow.

Dont put to much money into this project, you'll never get it back..

Dont put to much money into this project, you'll never get it back..

Very true. I was going to update the interior with new panels, etc. Not going to do it. I'm going to buy some dye or paint, take the door panels and plastic parts off, and dye or paint them. Lots of videos on you tube. I am going to replace the foam and leather on the seats, but that is it.

Very true. I was going to update the interior with new panels, etc. Not going to do it. I'm going to buy some dye or paint, take the door panels and plastic parts off, and dye or paint them. Lots of videos on you tube. I am going to replace the foam and leather on the seats, but that is it.

All Corvette owners say that at first. Wait a few weeks or months then report back. I should know, I have a 75 that I bought from my uncle back in 06. I am still putting money into it, a little at a time. After it is all said and done, that little at a time adds up quickly. When I got mine, the front and rear bumpers were cracking from age since they were urathane. I removed them and put in fiberglass ones, stripped and repainted the car. I don't have any pictures of it completed on this computer but I can post some later. Here is a picture of the car when I first got it.

IMG_0011.jpg

That was a beautiful car then already. Did you stick with the original color scheme? I'm hoping not to spend too much on it. We'll see though. They are 30 plus year old cars. Same with the old Mustangs or any older model car.

Yep....I stuck with the shat brown. They actually call it medium saddle. When I get homome, I'll post some pictures of it when it was done. I kept about 95 percent of the interior original. The biggest thing I replaced in the interior was the carpeting and the header trim. Most all the rest is original including the radio.

I really can't wait for my GT 350, but my garage was begging for an older vette. I have loved the C3 model since I was a little kid. I had to do something to tide me over until my Shelby comes. I bought a low miles 1980 vette with an oyster interior and black exterior. Needs a new interior but it is mechanically sound and unmolested. All original except for the wheels. Looks fantastic.

Oh, and just so everyone knows, its going on the far end of my 3 car garage. My Shelby gets front and center, LOL. :happy feet:

I like all cars that are well done, regardless of their make. I am not ashamed to admit that I have some Corvette freak in me. :hysterical:

Archived