TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What mods needed for Shelby GT to run with a Z06?

OK guys, here is my scenario:

I have a '07 Shelby GT that I have been using as my #2 track car, just recreational high performance driving (HPDE, etc.). The only performance mod I have made is upgrading to the GT 500 wheels / tires and also upgraded to track brake pads. This car has mostly been driven at the track by my son, and a few of my friends.

ShelbyWilloughby.jpg

My personal track car is an '09 Corvette Z06, and it is a beast, even though it has no performance mods. I do have a new set of Hoosiers that I will be using this year.

My question: What mods do I need to do to the Shelby in order to get it to run with the Z06? The main challenge is that the Shelby is 500-600 lbs. heavier and about 100 HP less. Adding slicks is the obvious first choice. The other options are a S/C, suspension, brakes and a new tune.

So chime in, and let me know what you think.

Thanks

I would remove some weight. I've taken out almost 200 lbs while still retaining the HVAC. For quick power, a supercharger is good option. Brenspeed can get you up to 450 rwhp without touching the long block. Also, upgrade the brakes- the 14" SVT brakes work great for the front- their probably the most cost effective; plus you can avoid the drilled rotors that Baer sells. Finally, I would run a nice sticky 275 tire on all four corners- NT05 DOT tires OR those Hoosier racing slicks. That should be a great starting point. Happy hunting.

Isn't the '09 Z06 rated at 505 hp? That would leave you about a 200hp deficit, not 100, if you're currently at the stock level - but I know very little about Corvettes. If this is the case, though, supercharging is probably your best option (over turbocharging). IMO, of course. It is fairly easy to make 500hp with a blower and the upgrades that go along with it (fuel pump, injectors, etc).

At 500hp you'll have to be very careful with the tune and keep the boost to reasonable levels - the 3V mod motors weren't blessed with the stoutest of reciprocating assemblies. At that power level you'll need to upgrade the clutch and I would replace the two-piece driveshaft, as well. Of course, a lot of this is dependant on how you'll drive the car. If you just baby it to shows and never beat on it, all this stuff will probably live forever. But if you lean on it a lot (and if not, why bother with the extra hp?) you will likely find some weak links.

Or you could pull your 3V motor/trans and drop in a GT500 drivetrain from a wrecked car. Might be cheaper in the long run, and you could store your stock 3V for a future restoration.

I don't think it's economically feasible. .......Well, you asked what we think!

Motortrend magazine recently did a comparison of a GT500, Nissan GTR, and Z06

Price as tested:

GT500 = $53,000

GTR = $90,000

Z06 = $98,000

Shelby GT could be had for about $25,000

What could you do with a Shelby GT if you had $73,000 for mods :hysterical:

GRIGGS SUSPENSION (rear in particular ST or TT kit) GRIGGS TORQUE ARM & BREMBO 4 piston with track pads (GT500 take offs)

These upgrades will make a huge differance in lap time before adding any HP

P7110964.jpg

P7110971.jpg

I would remove some weight. I've taken out almost 200 lbs while still retaining the HVAC. For quick power, a supercharger is good option. Brenspeed can get you up to 450 rwhp without touching the long block. Also, upgrade the brakes- the 14" SVT brakes work great for the front- their probably the most cost effective; plus you can avoid the drilled rotors that Baer sells. Finally, I would run a nice sticky 275 tire on all four corners- NT05 DOT tires OR those Hoosier racing slicks. That should be a great starting point. Happy hunting.

I agree. Removing as much weight as possible is a very big part of this equation. Thanks.

Isn't the '09 Z06 rated at 505 hp? That would leave you about a 200hp deficit, not 100, if you're currently at the stock level - but I know very little about Corvettes. If this is the case, though, supercharging is probably your best option (over turbocharging). IMO, of course. It is fairly easy to make 500hp with a blower and the upgrades that go along with it (fuel pump, injectors, etc).

At 500hp you'll have to be very careful with the tune and keep the boost to reasonable levels - the 3V mod motors weren't blessed with the stoutest of reciprocating assemblies. At that power level you'll need to upgrade the clutch and I would replace the two-piece driveshaft, as well. Of course, a lot of this is dependant on how you'll drive the car. If you just baby it to shows and never beat on it, all this stuff will probably live forever. But if you lean on it a lot (and if not, why bother with the extra hp?) you will likely find some weak links.

Or you could pull your 3V motor/trans and drop in a GT500 drivetrain from a wrecked car. Might be cheaper in the long run, and you could store your stock 3V for a future restoration.

The Z06 is rated 505 HP at the crank, not the wheels. But I agree with you, increasing the power should be in the 150-200 HP range. The plan is that this will be a "track only" car, and I will be driven by numerous drivers (family and friends), so it will be beaten on regularly. I hadn't looked into a GT500 drivetrain, but maybe I will.

I don't think it's economically feasible. .......Well, you asked what we think!

No disrespect here, but I never asked about "economic feasibility". Nothing I do relating to fast cars and high performance driving is economicaly feasible. I don't mind dropping $25K to upgrade my Shelby GT, or maybe I will just "trade up" to a higher model. Either way, the money is not a factor.

GRIGGS SUSPENSION (rear in particular ST or TT kit) GRIGGS TORQUE ARM & BREMBO 4 piston with track pads (GT500 take offs)

I completely agree. Lap times at the track are best improved by suspension, brakes, and the driver, IMO. In fact "seat time" is the best mod of all.

P7110964.jpg

P7110971.jpg

I am a fan of Griggs suspension. Fordfan1 maybe you can share what a Griggs package like this costs and who do you have install it? Hint hint....:)

No disrespect here, but I never asked about "economic feasibility". Nothing I do relating to fast cars and high performance driving is economicaly feasible. I don't mind dropping $25K to upgrade my Shelby GT, or maybe I will just "trade up" to a higher model. Either way, the money is not a factor.

No problem; I understand what you mean...I should clarify though, I meant this more from a "value" or "bang for your buck" standpoint, not afford-ability. I also understand, however, that this is an opinion of mine that others may not share! Then again, I could be totally wrong. I'd like to see a Shelby GT that can hang with or beat a Z06 on a track!

One other request regarding the performance upgrades to my Shelby GT.

I do not have the mechanical skills or equipment to make on such a significant project.

Does anyone know of a good tuner or shop in the midwest? I will be talking to Brenspeed tomorrow, and they are in northern Indiana I think, which is about 400 miles from me.

Kenny Bown is in Indianapolis, but their website is not up to date, so I am not sure what their status is.

My local Ford dealership could handle FRPP upgrades, and they are an authorized Roush shop.

I am located about an hour north of Nashville, TN.

Any recommendations for a good shop would be appreciated. Although something close would be ideal, I would not mind traveling farther to get a "first class" result.

Thanks

Nice, the little things sure add up and what you have there doesn't cost much. Wouldn't have guessed there was that much in carpeting and sound matting. I was thinking about a tubular K-member and shorty headers to pull some weight off the nose, but that stuff get's pretty pricey.

A fiberglass hood won't save much, maybe 5 lbs since the stock hood is already aluminum. The power seats though are very heavy. The drivers side seat is 45 lbs and the passenger is about 38 lbs. The tubular k-frame should save another 20 lbs, and is supposedly stronger than the factory stamped steel unit (I haven't done any testing myself).

The factory carpet has a bunch of insulation material on the bottom that adds weight. Ford also uses a tar like sound deadening material that, while keeping the interior quiet, is heavy also. Plexiglass rear windows could save weight, along with removing the HVAC. However, unless it's a dedicated race car, those aren't realistic options.

in all actuality a sc'd shelby can keep up and the more you perfect your skills the more you smoke them... @ the bash'es Vinny and Gary have proven skill and familiarity overcomes higher horse-powered cars. They paced the sessions with 6 cylinder cars. (They had big brakes though) and the faster class cars with sc'd gt's

i wouldnt do a gt5000 powertrain swap. thats alot of weight on the nose. personaly you can build a supercarged setup thats rated to over 600hp for less then 9k.

gt500 brakes, sticky tires, and a few engine mods go a LONG way.

if i was going to do what your wanting to do and make a dedicated track car i would just strip EVERYTHING thats not essential to operating the car. youll drop below 3200 pounds pretty easily that way. add a few suspention tweeks, really good brakes and some engine mods and taking on the z06 shouldnt be a problem with a good driver.

its all a matter of how far you want to get into it.

...if i was going to do what your wanting to do and make a dedicated track car i would just strip EVERYTHING thats not essential to operating the car. youll drop below 3200 pounds pretty easily that way. add a few suspention tweeks, really good brakes and some engine mods and taking on the z06 shouldnt be a problem with a good driver...

I agree with that, but the lowest you can get is probably 3250, which is where is the Grand Am, aka Koni Challenge, cars were at before the weight penalty for winning.

600hp on a stock 4.6 3V short block is a bomb.

I am pretty sad to say this, but after all the posts on this thread, and consulting with a couple of tuner shops, it appears that the only practical way me to run side by side with a Z06 is to trade up my Shelby GT to the Shelby GT 500. It is pretty clear that this is the most practical platform to start with, taking into account the RWHP, brakes, suspension, etc.

So, does anyone have a late model GT 500 that I can buy, or trade for?

BTW, thanks for all the input.

I am pretty sad to say this, but after all the posts on this thread, and consulting with a couple of tuner shops, it appears that the only practical way me to run side by side with a Z06 is to trade up my Shelby GT to the Shelby GT 500. It is pretty clear that this is the most practical platform to start with, taking into account the RWHP, brakes, suspension, etc.

So, does anyone have a late model GT 500 that I can buy, or trade for?

BTW, thanks for all the input.

You need to drive an authentic GT/SC before doing anything my friend, then figure the amount of money you'll spend on each. You'll be ahead about $12-15K with the GT/SC and then it is all up to the driver. But don't just believe me look at Chip Beck's posts, he is "one" the most real people you'll meet here and he swears his GT/SC will spank most anything on the street, driving capabilities are needed. This guy also has a stable you'll cry for too, GT40 all the toys, but just can't get enough of his GT/SC small block. Your money.

Im sticking with the GT/SC over a 500 for road course work...although I think any of them could be made to fly...

Send it to SA for a whipple...have them tweak the suspension and brakes...Totally different car.

600hp on a stock 4.6 3V short block is a bomb.

a built engine is in that 9k.

I'm guessing the 9k includes bottom end work.

yup, 3200 for a aluminator shortblock, 5100 for a good supercharger(i like the novi 2200 cause it doesnt really heatsoak) and you still have money left over to play with. or if your mechanically savvy, you can build a short block for a little cheaper.

not to argue with any one but a stripped down gt500 vs a stripped down sgt of the same horsepowerr. the gt500 will lose every time on the road course. being nose heavy is not an advantage.

the gt500's advantage is its upgradability...the disadvantage is its supercharger suffers horrible heat soak. yes you can make it run with a Z06 just as always takes money. anything can be made to fly with money

Archived