TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Took my car to the dragstrip last night...but

Well, I was really looking forward to getting kicked off the track for my times, and first pass, my clutch pedal didnt return on my shift from 3rd to 4th. Still ran a 12.5 at 129 mph.

The main problem I see though is these tires just arent drag tires. If Im going to get it below 11s, I need DRs bad. Come on Mickey Thompson!!!!

Now, about the clutch pedal- Im going to just go ahead and get a new clutch. Mcleod or Spec? That is the question.:headscratch:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was really looking forward to getting kicked off the track for my times, and first pass, my clutch pedal didnt return on my shift from 3rd to 4th. Still ran a 12.5 at 129 mph.

The main problem I see though is these tires just arent drag tires. If Im going to get it below 11s, I need DRs bad. Come on Mickey Thompson!!!!

Now, about the clutch pedal- Im going to just go ahead and get a new clutch. Mcleod or Spec? That is the question.:headscratch:

I like my McLoed, but then again I haven't tried the others. My came recommended by Tasca.

Since we don't sell the McLeod, I'm gonna have to recommend the SPEC!!! LOL :hysterical:

Running just the MPH number through the 1/4 mile conversion process this is what I get:

129 MPH would equate to a 10.49 ET in a 3800 lb car with 637 HP. I guessed the weight and couldn't remember the exact HP number so I just used 637.

When I run the numbers backward I get the same answers so I'm thinking that "IF" you can hook up you could expect high 10's at least.

Here are the formulas I have always used:

Convert weight and Hp to a 1/4 mile time = MPH = 234 * (HP / Weight) ^ .3333 & ET = 1353 / MPH

Convert MPH and weight to HP = HP = Weight * (MPH / 234) ^3

Convert ET to MPH = ET = 1353 / MPH & MPH = 1353 / ET

Its not perfect, but a decent rule of thumb thats fairly accurate.

Can you post the time slip?

Thanks.

I got a 12.4 with 295 BFG street tires with my car....what I am not understanding is how the magazines got the same in a Boss 302 with less HP on skinnier tires....anybody know what I am missing here?

Must be the launch control?

Running just the MPH number through the 1/4 mile conversion process this is what I get:

129 MPH would equate to a 10.49 ET in a 3800 lb car with 637 HP. I guessed the weight and couldn't remember the exact HP number so I just used 637.

When I run the numbers backward I get the same answers so I'm thinking that "IF" you can hook up you could expect high 10's at least.

Here are the formulas I have always used:

Convert weight and Hp to a 1/4 mile time = MPH = 234 * (HP / Weight) ^ .3333 & ET = 1353 / MPH

Convert MPH and weight to HP = HP = Weight * (MPH / 234) ^3

Convert ET to MPH = ET = 1353 / MPH & MPH = 1353 / ET

Its not perfect, but a decent rule of thumb thats fairly accurate.

Timeslips are perfect.

Right so thats my point. Whatever the Mags say does not mean squat its what can you run in your car that matters...I beat a guy in a New Vette 3 times in a row...no cooldown. The NHRA does not hand out trophies for a math test.

Can an equation prove that you could go faster, no it can make a theroy, your proof is a time slip.

Thats MHO. What say the drag race guys?

Right so thats my point. Whatever the Mags say does not mean squat its what can you run in your car that matters...I beat a guy in a New Vette 3 times in a row...no cooldown. The NHRA does not hand out trophies for a math test.

Can an equation prove that you could go faster, no it can make a theroy, your proof is a time slip.

Do you guys power shift when going down the 1/4 mile? I always like to put the gas pedal to the floor and never let off until I go through the traps. That is how I do it in my 1989 mustang gt. I always run a little faster this way, but I know it is hard on the clutch and transmisson. Will the gt350 hold up to this type of gear jamming?

Kris

Wow, 129!!! great mph :yup: That's definately a 10 sec. pass with traction. :burnout:

I would have gone to the track, but I got your email too late. :( I was home watching the Spurs game and was already on my 3rd beer. :beerchug:

Well, I've only been drag racing since the late 1980's so I'm sure that a lot of you here have more experience than me, but I will say that I have yet to meet an experienced or succsesful drag racer who didn't use math to factor what his car "should" do or what it was (in theory) capable of. Otherwise you would have no idea if you were leaving anything on the table. If you have no idea what your car "should" run you have no idea whether there is a problem or if you need to change something to make the car perform closer to its theretical abilities.

While you are correct that the NHRA or IHRA or whoever does not hand out trophies for a math test, I bet they dont hand out many to people who DONT do math. :read: :P

And a time slip only proves what your car actually did for a very specific moment under very specific conditions. I ran a 13.12 in a mostly stock '89 coupe once. Backed it up with a 13.16, but never ran faster than a 13.40 other than those two runs. Perfect storm to acheive that. The car just wasn't a 13.1X car. Those two passes proved the math wrong, but only twice - the other 100+ passes I had in it proved the math correct.

BTW - I have a time slip from the now defunct Alamo Dragway that shows I ran a 14.04 at 203 mph! So time slips can be wrong also! :hysterical: I need to see if I can find that slip. Havent seen it in years.

Well, depends, are you trying to distinguish the drivers ability? Or the car they are driving? If I put a professional driver in my car and show a timeslip, is that what you want to see? or do you want to see a timeslip that I and only I run in my car?

I think in attempting to argue how fast YOUR car is, (which it is by the way) you are saying that cars limits are based not on what elements of drivetrain, chassis, and tires they have, and are put together, but merely what the owner can do with them? We would have a LOT of Shelbys out there running 22 second 1/4 miles my friend, but that doesnt reflect the car's capabilities at all.

It seems to me that people know there are a ton of fools out there with enough money to buy a car well beyond their driving ability, but that doesnt affect the car's expected performance numbers. I expect to have my clutch issue resolved by the time MT finally releases the 19" DR, and Ill have my cooling upgrades done too, so I guess we will see. I agree, and my hope wednesday night was to show you that time slip, but if Im not getting my clutch to work...it aint gonna happen, so we all have to wait. Wheel spin or no, I have a trap speed of 129+ with a looong wait for engage in 4th, and still pulled a 12.5, and on my stock tires...0-60ft in over 2 seconds...Im not claiming my car runs in the 10s, but it doesnt take stevie wonder to see my car is capable of running into the 10s.

Do you guys power shift when going down the 1/4 mile? I always like to put the gas pedal to the floor and never let off until I go through the traps. That is how I do it in my 1989 mustang gt. I always run a little faster this way, but I know it is hard on the clutch and transmisson. Will the gt350 hold up to this type of gear jamming?

Kris

DO NOT powershift the 5.0. I have read many issues 5.0 owners are having with the trannies. The assumption is the gears are too soft a metal. (joint venture with the chinese) (but still qualifies for american made somehow):hysterical:

Wow, 129!!! great mph :yup: That's definately a 10 sec. pass with traction. :burnout:

I would have gone to the track, but I got your email too late. :( I was home watching the Spurs game and was already on my 3rd beer. :beerchug:

I let Kelly run it, made him keep it under 5000rpm to keep the clutch engaging, and he ran a 12.3, with a trap speed of 109. HE made it to 4th, but went to shift into 5th, clutch pedal stuck, and literally coasted through the trap....I should have told him to keep it in 4th....he had 130+ in that gear....but it was his first time driving the car. After seeing that, I got back in it and tried the same stratedgy, and didnt get it into 3rd before the pedal stuck. Worse yet, I was racing a Z06...that was the end of my night. The Z06 guy came over, thought I missed a gear change, and when I told him what happened, he said that happens in their cars too...problem with changing the fluid like every 3 passes in the z06s...still, I was really hoping for some kind of showing. Even though there are 5.0s with the same mods clearly running in the 10s you can find all over the other forums, painting guardsman blue stripes on it suddenly makes it sound like Im coming on here and telling everyone little green martians took me to their spaceship.:confused::hysterical:

Well, depends, are you trying to distinguish the drivers ability? Or the car they are driving? If I put a professional driver in my car and show a timeslip, is that what you want to see? or do you want to see a timeslip that I and only I run in my car?

I think in attempting to argue how fast YOUR car is, (which it is by the way) you are saying that cars limits are based not on what elements of drivetrain, chassis, and tires they have, and are put together, but merely what the owner can do with them? We would have a LOT of Shelbys out there running 22 second 1/4 miles my friend, but that doesnt reflect the car's capabilities at all.

It seems to me that people know there are a ton of fools out there with enough money to buy a car well beyond their driving ability, but that doesnt affect the car's expected performance numbers. I expect to have my clutch issue resolved by the time MT finally releases the 19" DR, and Ill have my cooling upgrades done too, so I guess we will see. I agree, and my hope wednesday night was to show you that time slip, but if Im not getting my clutch to work...it aint gonna happen, so we all have to wait. Wheel spin or no, I have a trap speed of 129+ with a looong wait for engage in 4th, and still pulled a 12.5, and on my stock tires...0-60ft in over 2 seconds...Im not claiming my car runs in the 10s, but it doesnt take stevie wonder to see my car is capable of running into the 10s.

DO NOT powershift the 5.0. I have read many issues 5.0 owners are having with the trannies. The assumption is the gears are too soft a metal. (joint venture with the chinese) (but still qualifies for american made somehow):hysterical:

I let Kelly run it, made him keep it under 5000rpm to keep the clutch engaging, and he ran a 12.3, with a trap speed of 109. HE made it to 4th, but went to shift into 5th, clutch pedal stuck, and literally coasted through the trap....I should have told him to keep it in 4th....he had 130+ in that gear....but it was his first time driving the car. After seeing that, I got back in it and tried the same stratedgy, and didnt get it into 3rd before the pedal stuck. Worse yet, I was racing a Z06...that was the end of my night. The Z06 guy came over, thought I missed a gear change, and when I told him what happened, he said that happens in their cars too...problem with changing the fluid like every 3 passes in the z06s...still, I was really hoping for some kind of showing. Even though there are 5.0s with the same mods clearly running in the 10s you can find all over the other forums, painting guardsman blue stripes on it suddenly makes it sound like Im coming on here and telling everyone little green martians took me to their spaceship.:confused::hysterical:

Thanks for the advice, you saved me from destroying my transmission on my first pass. I would have ran it the only way i new how and l would have looked like a real jack ass.

Kris

Thanks for the advice, you saved me from destroying my transmission on my first pass. I would have ran it the only way i new how and l would have looked like a real jack ass.

Kris

Kris

No Warren and Warrens Brother what I am saying is tht we all know how fast my car is as I posted the Freakin tiimeslip.

I am not trying to say how fast my car is, I am just some guy on the internet who has driven a BB dragster and a stock car, my car is not that fast. I also commuted in the rain everyday on a true low 10 second sportbike. I know fast.

What I am saying is you guys talk a lot of talk.

Good luck on hitting 10.49.

My point is that the magazines are showing the boss being quicker than a 350.

R and T may issue got a 12.4 in a 624hp 350. Thwy also estimate the weight at 4155lbs.

Boss LS got a 12.3 same issue.

Somehow though two dudes from Texas are gonna rip a 10.49 beacause some program says you can...

hahahahahahahahahHHHahha, Whatever.

and yes I am saying that what you can do with your vehicle is what matters...wtf dude wht planet are you on?

You know I was looking at buying an F-50 but I passed as A Ferrari team driver did not come with the car.

Its why I dont have a helicopter really, I cant afford the pilots salary. hahaa!

Remember the guy here with th 9 second mitsubishi? Hate those cars but he posted the timeslip. Thats what he could do.

No Warren and Warrens Brother what I am saying is tht we all know how fast my car is as I posted the Freakin tiimeslip.

I am not trying to say how fast my car is, I am just some guy on the internet who has driven a BB dragster and a stock car, my car is not that fast. I also commuted in the rain everyday on a true low 10 second sportbike. I know fast.

What I am saying is you guys talk a lot of talk.

Good luck on hitting 10.49.

My point is that the magazines are showing the boss being quicker than a 350.

R and T may issue got a 12.4 in a 624hp 350. Thwy also estimate the weight at 4155lbs.

Boss LS got a 12.3 same issue.

Somehow though two dudes from Texas are gonna rip a 10.49 beacause some program says you can...

hahahahahahahahahHHHahha, Whatever.

well, I weighed my car wednesday night. 3715 with 7/8 tank of gas. I wonder if the smaller pulley changed the weight?:hysterical:

I got a 12.3 in my car the other night with all the clutch pedal problems...so...okay. and tht was coasting through at 109, clutch pedal dumped at the last shift.

Im not saying what the car does, only supposin until I get it fixed....all Im sayin is, its freakin fast. I dont know why you are so against that, but I guess since Aaron Stiles aint around anymore, someone has to step up and doubt the prformance, right? I mean, you should know...all the seat time you have in the 350 and all.happy%20feet.gif

Then post the freaking time slip.

Smartass.

I saw you drive and I remember your BS time post you supposed as real but was not.

I not against you or your car just bullshit my friend.

There is a lot of BS surrounding performance and the 350.

Mathmatically and in real life...

i mean shit last pm I ran a 11.7 and my tire was spinning a little ya know man hahahaaha yeah it was spinning round an round if I can fix that I can get a 11.3 I think but actually I am looking at buying 2 F-50 Ferraris one to track an one to keep as a collectable after I get done making out with Cameron Diaz and I smoked a J with Snoop Dogg and got busy with running yeat anther 11.6!!!!!!!!!!

Ddddddduuuddddreeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived