TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 Pulley mods problems

Hello Shelby owners:

I had a recent pulley (2.6 inch) change, idler, and SCT tune from a local speed shop. The engine tuner who installed mods and “custom” tuned the SCT on his dyno and tweaked somewhat is a well known tuner in Pa. He and his partner have been sought after by NASCAR Racing. His partner accepted but sold business to my mechanic/engine mod guy who only does word-of-mouth work (no advertizing).

But here’s my problem or in need of some further explanation:

I had a 2.6 pulley w/tensioner, sparks and SCT custom tune at local speed shop for my 2010 GT Shelby. Am not too happy w/ dyno results. Base w/o mods showed respectable 472 RWHP before, and 502 after modifications. I run 93 (!?!??!) octane from Walmart to keep cost down. Perhaps this is the problem. The performance on the road however sure seems much greater than the 30 RWHP gain even with Walmart premium gas. I, however, switched to Shell's 93 and the performance is awesome. What gives? The custom tune by the shop's owner is somewhat confused too. He thinks I need a larger throttle body (stock is dual 60 mm; he wants 65 mm or greater). I realize more air means more fuel means more power. Pundits on this forum feel that the TB and CAI are not limiting with the 2010 changes Ford's SVT made to this system. He also feels that I need a higher performance CAI w/o resonator (perhaps restricting- resonator delete) and a larger intercooler. NOBODY else recommends this at this level of change, ie smaller pulley. Maybe I need an alternate tune say from Evo or VMP. Any comments are appreciated.

Anyhelp from current problem will be surely appreciated!!!

Finally would another tune purchased/downloaded from someone recommended here extract the expected performance. I read w/interest that some downloaded tunes are within +/- 2% of optimum w/o the dyno. Thanks.

Minnesotalee

Sounds like a conservative tune. You can lean out the tune more or change the timing to get more hp/tq if you want, but it's also more stress on the engine.

Hello Shelby owners:

I had a recent pulley (2.6 inch) change, idler, and SCT tune from a local speed shop. The engine tuner who installed mods and "custom" tuned the SCT on his dyno and tweaked somewhat is a well known tuner in Pa. He and his partner have been sought after by NASCAR Racing. His partner accepted but sold business to my mechanic/engine mod guy who only does word-of-mouth work (no advertizing).

But here's my problem or in need of some further explanation:

I had a 2.6 pulley w/tensioner, sparks and SCT custom tune at local speed shop for my 2010 GT Shelby. Am not too happy w/ dyno results. Base w/o mods showed respectable 472 RWHP before, and 502 after modifications. I run 93 (!?!??!) octane from Walmart to keep cost down. Perhaps this is the problem. The performance on the road however sure seems much greater than the 30 RWHP gain even with Walmart premium gas. I, however, switched to Shell's 93 and the performance is awesome. What gives? The custom tune by the shop's owner is somewhat confused too. He thinks I need a larger throttle body (stock is dual 60 mm; he wants 65 mm or greater). I realize more air means more fuel means more power. Pundits on this forum feel that the TB and CAI are not limiting with the 2010 changes Ford's SVT made to this system. He also feels that I need a higher performance CAI w/o resonator (perhaps restricting- resonator delete) and a larger intercooler. NOBODY else recommends this at this level of change, ie smaller pulley. Maybe I need an alternate tune say from Evo or VMP. Any comments are appreciated.

Finally would another tune purchased/downloaded from someone recommended here extract the expected performance. I read w/interest that some downloaded tunes are within +/- 2% of optimum w/o the dyno. Thanks.

Minnesotalee

Remember that if the engine has a knock sensor the processor will advance the timing until it hears a knock vibration and then slightly retard the timing. this goes on constantly and with every tank of gas. different brands of gas can have a VERY different make up of components. Gas quality is not even across the brands, even in the best of situations. Oxygenizers, dillulents, alcohol plus a myriad of proprietary additive packages affects the octane[a test on the general formula]

rating. I have a stock 2011 gt 500 It performs differently on different brands of gas. Mine likes Shell and Mobil the best so far. I hope to try the sunoco brand this summer.

Remember that if the engine has a knock sensor the processor will advance the timing until it hears a knock vibration and then slightly retard the timing. this goes on constantly and with every tank of gas. different brands of gas can have a VERY different make up of components. Gas quality is not even across the brands, even in the best of situations. Oxygenizers, dillulents, alcohol plus a myriad of proprietary additive packages affects the octane[a test on the general formula]

rating. I have a stock 2011 gt 500 It performs differently on different brands of gas. Mine likes Shell and Mobil the best so far. I hope to try the sunoco brand this summer.

Thanks MTB65- I'll continue to use Shell's 93; it seems to be better (need dyno again to assure myself) than the off brand 93. Have you done mods like this basic one and if so do you have what RWHP gains you obtained. Or at a minimum have you retuned your stock Shelby?

Sorry- I see it is stock 2011 after a reread!!!

Minnesotalee

Thanks MTB65- I'll continue to use Shell's 93; it seems to be better (need dyno again to assure myself) than the off brand 93. Have you done mods like this basic one and if so do you have what RWHP gains you obtained. Or at a minimum have you retuned your stock Shelby?

Sorry- I see it is stock 2011 after a reread!!!

Minnesotalee

Minn---try to find stright gas w/o ethanol in it and 93--i find its the most powerful, with improved mpg here in Atl BP carries it---bob

PS i was curious,so found this link to all the pure gas stations in Mn http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

Hey man not much insight for ya but I would say something is definitely wrong if you only picked up 30hp with those mods.... I would start with getting good fuel all the time and getting either one of the two best tuner's , Justin from VMP or Jon Lund........ I will be getting my 10 on the dyno soon and I will definitely be expecting/will be in the 540-560 rwhp range..... but I'll get back to ya on that, soon as I know.....GL...

Minn---try to find stright gas w/o ethanol in it and 93--i find its the most powerful, with improved mpg here in Atl BP carries it---bob

PS i was curious,so found this link to all the pure gas stations in Mn http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

+1 on this. I run 92 ethanol free and the car runs sweet.

THanks everyone- sure appreciate the advice and will minimize ETOH use. I'll check with local Shell's 93. It does run better after the mods with this gas in it. What about TB, CAI and twin fan larger intercooler at tyhis level of mods. I heard from VPM and they say I don't need it with the 2.6 pulley mod.

Minnesotalee

Hello Shelby owners:

I had a recent pulley (2.6 inch) change, idler, and SCT tune from a local speed shop. The engine tuner who installed mods and "custom" tuned the SCT on his dyno and tweaked somewhat is a well known tuner in Pa. He and his partner have been sought after by NASCAR Racing. His partner accepted but sold business to my mechanic/engine mod guy who only does word-of-mouth work (no advertizing).

But here's my problem or in need of some further explanation:

Minnesotalee

*** did you install the resonator eliminator ???***

This makes a huge difference in air flow..

I have the exact same set-up on my 2010 with almost the same base pull numbers.

I have a canned Jon Lund tune on the SCT and the first pull which they didn't graph due to an error was around 575 hp and the last pull was 568 hp.

I was actually thinking the boys at Steeda might tweak this a little higher as they have their dyno day next weekend and I want to have 3.73 gears, watts link kit and diff cover installed so I was going to have them look at the current base line numbers and see if they think they can pull any more from the current configuration.

But there is something wrong somewhere with those numbers you posted...

BTW...I love how my car performs with this confirgration.

I have a canned Jon Lund tune on the SCT and the first pull which they didn't graph due to an error was around 575 hp and the last pull was 568 hp.

I was actually thinking the boys at Steeda might tweak this a little higher as they have their dyno day next weekend and I want to have 3.73 gears, watts link kit and diff cover installed so I was going to have them look at the current base line numbers and see if they think they can pull any more from the current configuration.

BTW...I love how my ca r performs with this confirgration.

cs6, i am reading your post correct, all you have is a sct tuner, with a john lund tune and you are getting 575 to the wheels ?

BTW...I love how my car performs with this confirgration.

Shelbycs6- that is amazing!!! I have found on VMP's website five or six 2010 GT500's dynoed w/ the 2.6 pulley and Justin's tunes (similar mods to mine w/o the resonator delete) and they have achieved 535-545 RWHP. So... two things I didn't have at the time were the resonator delete or the Shell 93 gasoline and got 502 rwhp. Boy my car needs a new tune from Justin or Jon. I think I'll order one. Wonder how much the gasoline caused reduced power and how much gain to expect from the resonator alone. I emailed Justin in Florida and he believes the 2010 CAI system is not restrictive up to 600rwhp. Confusing!!! I am putting on new exhaust/headers and getting retuned. I may drive the 50 miles to Invo and get them installed and then dynoed before and after. That way I'll know where I have been with the Shell's 93. Maybe that's the difference because it does pull noticeably greater than before any mods. Thanks for your input too.

Minnesotalee (from Pa- an expat from Mn)

Shelbycs6- that is amazing!!! I have found on VMP's website five or six 2010 GT500's dynoed w/ the 2.6 pulley and Justin's tunes (similar mods to mine w/o the resonator delete) and they have achieved 535-545 RWHP. So... two things I didn't have at the time were the resonator delete or the Shell 93 gasoline and got 502 rwhp. Boy my car needs a new tune from Justin or Jon. I think I'll order one. Wonder how much the gasoline caused reduced power and how much gain to expect from the resonator alone. I emailed Justin in Florida and he believes the 2010 CAI system is not restrictive up to 600rwhp. Confusing!!! I am putting on new exhaust/headers and getting retuned. I may drive the 50 miles to Invo and get them installed and then dynoed before and after. That way I'll know where I have been with the Shell's 93. Maybe that's the difference because it does pull noticeably greater than before any mods. Thanks for your input too.

My 2010 has res delete/ cj 65mm tb/ frpp axle backs / 2.6 pulley/ and a lund tune and gave a solid 581 rwhp at 65degrees f. .I found the Shell 93 to be best abd the svt dealer's choice as well.

I was just wondering what is your boost. Reason I am asking my 08 EATON stock super charger boost dropped off by 2psi after 800miles. Pulled supercharger found rotor wear by two rotors rubbing together.

My boost went up to 14 to15 psiwhich is 4-5 psi greater than the stock pulley. I will be getting a new dyno reading on existing tune w/using the Shell 93. If still low I'll get a tune from Lund or Justin.

Has anyone done a before/after dyno on the value of a supercharger intercooler alone or an aftermarket CAI and tbody. The stock tbody should provide very little power loss with just a 2.6 pulley change. Anything under 600rwhp can maintain stock CAI/TB. Any ideas?

Minnesotalee

cs6, i am reading your post correct, all you have is a sct tuner, with a john lund tune and you are getting 575 to the wheels ?

Also the 2.6 pulley, idler, resonator eliminator,Airaid dry filter and tune and yes those were the numbers on the very first pull last year at Steeda Canada Dyno day.

The car only had about 2500 km on it then so I don't know if I can expect better or worse this year at 11,000 km.

They have their dyno day next weekend so I wanted to see if they can tweak any more out of this set-up.

Also the 2.6 pulley, idler, resonator eliminator,Airaid dry filter and tune and yes those were the numbers on the very first pull last year at Steeda Canada Dyno day.

The car only had about 2500 km on it then so I don't know if I can expect better or worse this year at 11,000 km.

They have their dyno day next weekend so I wanted to see if they can tweak any more out of this set-up.

SWEET!!! I hope I'm close to your numbers. I will be on the Dyno soon. Shoot I'd be happy with 555 to the wheels! 5 is my favorite #. :hysterical:

It's not the CAI that's the problem it's this stupid resonator...

They installed it to REDUCE the supercharger whine and it's like a two lb block of plastic with holes in it.

The resonator eliminator is just a small fully open piece of tube that replaces that block which eliminates this restriction and it really lets you hear the supercharger again.

I have a 2011 with the same kit , 93 tune from Lund, I also had a L&M TB, a good tune with good 93 gas I made 543 whp and 525 tq on a dynojet... I have since added a KB stage 3 and upped the power. The pulley and tune made about 60 more hp over stock and makes a nice whining sound. Everyone is right the right gas makes a diffrence.

post-30519-0-34974100-1304106092_thumb.jpg

post-30519-0-34974100-1304106092_thumb.jpg

Mine dyno''d with similar numbers corrected on a dyno jet. I had a canned tune on it from a reputable tuner. My numbers came in at 502 rwhp/530 rwtq. Before the pulley with just the canned tune it dyno'd 496/476 on the same dyno several weeks before. Had it custom tuned the same day and it got 520/530; however, at the track the car ran slower on that tune so i changed back to the canned tune which then ran faster. IDK what the issue is.

Uncorrected the numbers were closer to 540 rwhp, but I don't recall the exact numbers. Maybe try a different dyno and see what that nets you. Bottom line, don't feel by yourself.

Archived