TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Edmunds pic of the 2013 GT500?

2sharpie

I'd say most likely a test mule as well... Otherwise it's definitely not a GT500 due to the turn signals being on the inside of the lights, the now standard HIDs are not present, the body's side looks like a 302's, the heat extractors are vertically placed, and the spoiler is not a gurney flap. Then again, those are all changes they could make for future GT500s. Maybe it's a new performance pack for the standard GTs

If anything Ford would probably just test driveline/suspension in current sheet-metal. I wouldn't worry much about pictures. The body can be tested in a wind-tunnel safely away from prying eyes. Any kind of "spy shot" of a car is just purposefully leaked info to drum up interest by the parent company.

Looks like a test mule. Also...in the picture there's snow on the ground - so I wonder how old the picture is.

There was snow on the ground in the Detroit area last Monday actually

Similar pictures from Road & Track.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2013-ford-mustang-gt500

Their article goes along the same lines as the one that Car and Driver ran a few weeks back regarding increased displacement, although it also mentions the possibility of twin turbos being used. Obviously, the guy that wrote this piece shows very little knowledge about the current 5.4 engine when he states that: " the next incarnation could have between 600-625 bhp – though this seems a tall order with the current engine".

Just swapping the current blower for a TVS (also used in the upcoming Camaro ZL1) should easily achieve such output.

Archived