TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions wanted.

wrc4

Hi, everyone. In about 7 days or so my 2012 Kona Blue GT500 should arrive. When I ordered it I opted for the 67F (SVT) and 58N (Electronics) options. Since I couldn't get the wide white stripes with the 67F option I added the 46D (stripe delete) option. So...I am curious to get people's opinions on whether or not I should order the stripe kit (wide white stripes) and have a body shop add them. I get the whole, "It's my car and I can do what I want..." thing but I'm interested in hearing other's views or experiences on this.

wrc4,

First, welcome to Team Shelby and congratulations on your soon to arrive 2012 Shelby GT500 Kona Stripe Delete (Coupe?). There are SVTPP buyers who passed on the narrow stripes as you have and opted for the wider stripes as well. Some in colors that weren't available stock. Others have opted for painted stripes to avoid future tape stripe issues. The decision is really yours! Post up some pictures of that bad boy when you take delivery. Good luck and enjoy!

PS: Whereabouts in Nevada are you? You might be interested in this upcoming TS cruise http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63775-ts-snakes-at-the-lake-tahoe-cruise-and-car-show/

Of all the 1965 to 1968 Shelby's, only a handfull of 1965 Shelby's and most of the 1966 Shelby G.T. 350H's came from SA with Lemans Stripes. the rest were either Dealer Added or Owner Added. Personally, I would Paint them on. Choose a Color that will pop on that Kona Blue. Do the Stripes before you Register the Car in the Shelby Registry and when you do Register the Car, give them as much information as possible.

I agree the 'normal' wide stripes look better. Consider white, silver and tungsten all of which have been OEM on blue GT500s. Also seriously consider having them painted on rather than the tape. It will not be that much more expensive and the results are much nicer and long lasting.

Funny, I was just thinking about the same thing the other night. I'll probably be ordering a '13 GT500 with the PP and personally don't like the narrow stripes. I'll be adding wide tape stripes soon after delivery so that it can be returned to stock fairly easily in the event I need to do that... Silver/Tungsten stripes rock on the kona blue cars!

Stripes! If you can afford it, like others said have them painted on and be done with them. Grats on the new ride.

Thanks, everyone, for all the positive feedback. I called my local Ford dealer today and asked about the stripe package. At $1,400.00 for the pieces (without installation) I'm thinking that painting is a good idea. LOL I'll be sure to post some pics when the car arrives!

I ordered the Kona Blue with silver stripes. Mine is a convertible. I got the VIN last week. Do you recall how long after the VIN before yours came in? I am going to see the quality of the stripes, if I feel they are going to cause me grief, I will get some pricing on having them painted on.

Of all the 1965 to 1968 Shelby's, only a handfull of 1965 Shelby's and most of the 1966 Shelby G.T. 350H's came from SA with Lemans Stripes. the rest were either Dealer Added or Owner Added. Personally, I would Paint them on. Choose a Color that will pop on that Kona Blue. Do the Stripes before you Register the Car in the Shelby Registry and when you do Register the Car, give them as much information as possible.

+1 Go wide stripes painted. Hey, it's a Shelby. Stripes are a signature.

I like the stripes on our Shelbys, if you want more of the "sleeper stang" look then don't do them. If you get a good quality stripe they'll last for along time, probably loger than you'll own the car, painting is also a good choice.

I too agree with some responses. You should have them painted on and clear coated over. Makes for a great looking car. I picked up on an ordered 2012 from a local dealer and I could not change the order and delete the stripes. So when it arrives (soon I hope) the stripes will be taken off and I'll have them painted on. Just so much nicer and easier to detail without those vinyl stripes. I know I paid for them, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The vinyl factory stripes just look so cheap. JMHO Congrats on your new car and enjoy.

My vote is definitely for you to add stripes - they are part of the Shelby heritage. If you want more attention, choose a stripe color that contrasts the Kona, like white or silver (I love the look of the silver). On the other hand, you can go with a color that is more subdued to give the car a little more of a sleeper look. That's what I'm doing (when ever mine shows up). I'm going with satin black, which also will match the seats on the stripe delete option. After living with the Kona/black combo on the exterior for a while, I may consider getting them painted on, but I'm just starting out with the vinyl. Good luck on your decision - what ever you go with will look awesome.

rockon.gif

I been at the N.Y car show . Shelby has gt 500 with white strip it's great but look at the GT350 has painted over the top and side stripes that looks 1,000 times better . If your going to keep her paint it .

Archived