TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saleen Speedlab + Speedster Package

Ezareth

Everything is painted and back from the shop.

I love the look of it and am getting a ton of positive comments but I do think it needs something. Either a continuation of the stripe down the middle to the "Cushion" or GT500 decals on each side that match the door decals.

What do you guys thing of it? Think I should leave it as is ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Original---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the Speedster package (Light bar and tonneau cover) on my '99 S281 Saleen and it was something I planned on duplicating when I bought my Shelby last year. When I purchased my Shelby I also bought and installed a Light Bar from CDC. Class Design Concepts is the manufacturer of the original Light Bar that came equipped with speedster-package 99-04 Saleen Mustangs. They also manufacture the Saleen Style Bar for speedster-package equipped 05-2012 Saleen Mustangs.

I know there has been a lot of interest in a 1 piece tonneau cover for the 2005-2012 Mustang and I've been searching for the past year for a suitable solution. I looked at a solution from Cervini's but it required installing snapping nuts into my interrior and didn't appear to fit as cleanly. Additionally I could never get a response from Cervini's customer support on my questions which was the main reason I kept looking.

After a year of scouring the web I noticed that Saleen finally started selling their OEM Tonneau Cover for the 05-12 Mustangs. I instantly snapped one up after confirming with their customer service that it would fit with my CDC Light bar. It arrived via freight truck last Friday and I was impressed with the quality and fit of the product. However, much to my dismay I discovered it did not fit at all with the CDC Light Bar. Dreading that I'd have to ship the cover back via Freight and still end up with no tonneau cover, I contacted the customer service at Saleen. After sending them a few pictures they concluded that the cover would not fit with the CDC light bar.

Instead of issuing a return of the product or just outright sticking me I was afraid of, they instead offered to send me a Saleen Style Bar(currently sale for $499 + Shipping) free of charge for their mistake. The bar uses the exact same mounting mechanism and brackets as the CDC Light bar but has different dimensions which is why it doesn't fit.

Needless to say I am floored by the level of service and integrity at Saleen, and while I like the Light on the CDC Bar, the Saleen Bar has a nice piece of aluminum trim that looks a lot classier.

Hi Ezareth -

Since no one replied...I'll offer my opinion. I'm not too familiar with the complete aspects of the convertible covers and such...but I would just go strictly all black with everything.

I'm a little confused when you say "two flat black vinyl decals to go over the two indentations behind the front seats" and then "I'm wondering if I should have those decals painted Race Red"...meaning that you would paint the vinyl decals? I'm not sure that I understand. But I would just leave them black.

The center piece with the saleen logo...I would just re-wrap in plain black faux leather. I wouldn't put any logo on it. There's enough snakes/shelby/svt, etc. logos and emblems on our cars already. I view it as overkill. Anyway...I don't believe anybody could "legally" make you an insert with any copyrighted logo on it.

That is INSANE customer service by Saleen! WOW! I honestly wouldn't have expected that! CRAZY!

I'm not a vert fan myself, however, that's a tough call. Leave it black, paint them interior red, or exterior stripe red. Since you don't appear to have a top stripe on the car I'd say you won't go wrong with any of your choices. It's your car make it the way you want it. I would think a splash of red though would add an extra "touch", but some prefer that whole "all black" thing.

If you look in the 2 photos I attached there are three black areas which are indentations on the yellow Tonneau cover. The 2 areas behind each seat come with Flat Black Vinyl decals, and the center area is a black cushioned insert. I'm attaching pictures of the cushioned insert and the decal(still in the backing paper). What I'm trying to ask is should I paint the decals on(instead of applying them to the cover) in Race red to match my stripes/seats or should I just keep the whole thing clearcoat black or should I just apply the vinyl decals and if I don't like them remove them if I don't like them? I know with paint at least you want to blend new paint on top of new paint before the base coat of paint completely dries. On the Center cushioned insert I was thinking black leather or faux leather similar to our leather seats, with just the Cobra logo....nothing too distracting since it would be dark embroidery on dark leather. It doesn't necessarily have to have the Shelby name on it although It could just be the Shelby name in place of the "leen" Name, or a combination of both name and logo. I was also thinking I could get red leather matching the seat interior as well to match the inserts (in the event I painted them).

Hmmm...I still think I would go for just all black with no logo on the center insert.

Swapped the bar out this weekend and took a couple photos with the (unpainted) cover on. Note it is sitting up a few inches off of the back because the locking tabs are not underneath the rear of the trim. When installed right it fits perfectly without any gaps on the trim.

Do you guys think I should buy a door stripe kit from ford and run it down the middle of it after I paint it black? Do you like the Saleen Style bar versus the CDC Bar? What do you think of the look overall?

Swapped the bar out this weekend and took a couple photos with the (unpainted) cover on. Note it is sitting up a few inches off of the back because the locking tabs are not underneath the rear of the trim. When installed right it fits perfectly without any gaps on the trim.

Do you guys think I should buy a door stripe kit from ford and run it down the middle of it after I paint it black? Do you like the Saleen Style bar versus the CDC Bar? What do you think of the look overall?

As far as running a stripe down the middle...no, no. Too cliche and overkill. Nothing is worse (IMO) than someone that puts the stripes on everything....like the strut tower brace, etc.

As far as running a stripe down the middle...no, no. Too cliche and overkill. Nothing is worse (IMO) than someone that puts the stripes on everything....like the strut tower brace, etc.

Well if it were the same stripe it would be no different than the roof stripe on the coupe. Man I wish Ford made a 2-seater Mustang...and not just a "seat delete" option.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it were the same stripe it would be no different than the roof stripe on the coupe. Man I wish Ford made a 2-seater Mustang...and not just a "seat delete" option.

Hi Ezareth,

I wondered about the two-seat option too. I simply don't see many people towing around a family of five in mustangs....especially in the Shelby. Maybe the back seats will go the way of the ash tray at some point! I used to hate the fact that every car had an ash tray and cigarette lighter back in the past. It was something that you really never thought about, but it was there.

No, no....the same stripe would be if you put stripes on your convertible top! ;) It'd be the same as me putting stripes between the speakers on my rear decklid. :)

So seriously, what did you end up doing? Any pics yet?

Yeah I'm just going to leave the cover all black for now.

If it would ever stop raining in Ohio I could it to the bodyshop to get painted. It is supposed to rain for the next 8 days! It has just been a pain to get it to their shop since I don't own a truck and it is too big to fit in any car. Maybe the end of next week it will be dry enough to take it in (and maybe even enjoy my car as well!).

I'll post a ton of pictures from all around once everything is done.

I have to say I'm really liking the Saleen Style Bar over the CDC bar, that Aluminum trim piece really makes the whole bar seem OEM and stick out at the same time.

Looking forward to the pics Ezareth. I have to agree...even though I'm not a convertible guy - I too, would get one of those bars for sure. It just looks "right" to me. And like you said the aluminum piece sort of fits in with the other interior aluminum type trim.

Rain...LOL! I know...though the first part of this week had been gorgeous here...but we're deep into muggy, thunderstorm type weather here now. Yuck. I really wanted to wax my car today and I just got in from washing it..but gosh...I'm already sweating like crazy and it's only 11am. I think I need to move to Arizona or something. They hardly have any rain out there and lots of sunny days. I think we have on average only 50 days of sun per year - we're like #3 in the country behind Seattle in terms of rain and clouds. Blah.

You can find the full size pictures of those images here:

http://www.motordesktop.com/saleen/2006-saleen-s281-speedster/

I already linked that one up above (=

I'm not a fan of the cover on yellow because the black trim piece seems to break the continuity of the paint.

Just checked the weather here and supposed to rain for the next 10 days.....if this continues I'm going to need to build an ark just to keep the Shelby afloat. :titanic:

Just checked the weather here and supposed to rain for the next 10 days.....if this continues I'm going to need to build an ark just to keep the Shelby afloat. :titanic:

I feel your pain. It's been raining here (Nova Scotia) almost continuously for close to a month now.

You can find the full size pictures of those images here:

http://www.motordesk...s281-speedster/

I already linked that one up above (=

I'm not a fan of the cover on yellow because the black trim piece seems to break the continuity of the paint.

I agree on the paint continuity. Bet it would look great on our black cars though.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is painted and back from the shop.

I love the look of it and am getting a ton of positive comments but I do think it needs something. Either a continuation of the stripe down the middle to the "Cushion" or GT500 decals on each side that match the door decals.

What do you guys thing of it? Think I should leave it as is ?

@ Shipwright - he edited the first post of the thread with the pics.

@ Ezareth - Could you make those photos a little bigger? I'm tending to like something along the lines of what you mentioned about adding some highlight stripes on the sides - but I am having a hard time envisioning them on there, with the tiny photos. Not sure though on if I'd add anything else. On second thought...maybe something that mimics the aluminum accent piece on the bar itself. Yeah, I'm thinking that may be the way to go.

Sorry didn't feel like trying to host these and was limited by size so I shrunk them. Here are some 1024X??? pics.

The Saleen Style bar is lighter than the CDC Bar but the Tonneau cover is definately "Beefy" as you call it. I'd put it at about 50 lbs or so, removing it safely is a 2 man operation IMO but it fits very precisely arouund all of the trim, the fitment is perfect and there is absolutely no give or "wiggling" possible when you strap this puppy in with the seatbelt locks.

Here are the last 2 pics.

I'll photoshop a couple of pics with what I'm thinking for possibilities. One with the stripe down the middle and the other with the "GT500" on the side.

Ohh and I'd stay away from the Cervini's if I were you. Their customer support is nonexistant and after I took one look at their installation instructions I said no thank you.

The nice thing about the Saleen package is, The only real thing I damaged on the installation was the 2 "Cap" trim covers in front of the convertible top which you could replace both of for less than $100 and switch them out in 2 minutes. If I ever want to sell the car I can quickly restore it to original condition and no one would be the wiser.

Ezareth!! That is awsome!! Deffinently needs the stripes. Have you had it on the highway yet and noticed how or if the wind turbulance was affected by it? I just spent 3 bills on the CDC wind screen and now wished I had the bucks back for this cover. Now all you need to do is get the Saleen logo replaced with an embroidered cobra or Shelby logo. :hysterical:

Ezareth!! That is awsome!! Deffinently needs the stripes. Have you had it on the highway yet and noticed how or if the wind turbulance was affected by it? I just spent 3 bills on the CDC wind screen and now wished I had the bucks back for this cover. Now all you need to do is get the Saleen logo replaced with an embroidered cobra or Shelby logo. :hysterical:

I had it up to 120 or so on the way home last night and it noticably cuts back the "blow back" wind from behind you but if you're looking for a solution to your lady-friend bitching about her hair this isn't it ( =

Don't forget ths cover will NOT fit with the CDC Light Bar even though CDC manufactures it. This bar is closer to the front of the car by about 2 inches than the CDC bar, the brackets are installed in exactly the same position (the "BAR" the runs through the bar is a little thinner though so the bracket "tube" has a smaller diameter) but the CDC bar sits backwards while the Saleen bar sits forward.

I just spent 3 bills on the CDC wind screen and now wished I had the bucks back for this cover.

Off topic, but how does the CDC windscreen perform?? As with you, I keep looking at that price tag wondering if it is worth the investment. But considering my car is rarely driven with top up, think it would definitely come in handy if it settles down the air turbulance.

I do like the Saleen Speedster cover, but that would mean an even bigger investment considering I already have the CDC bar. Looks great though and I think the stripes would help it really blend in.

Off topic, but how does the CDC windscreen perform?? As with you, I keep looking at that price tag wondering if it is worth the investment. But considering my car is rarely driven with top up, think it would definitely come in handy if it settles down the air turbulance.

I do like the Saleen Speedster cover, but that would mean an even bigger investment considering I already have the CDC bar. Looks great though and I think the stripes would help it really blend in.

I have not installed it yet, too busy. It's going on Tuesday for sure while a new windshield gets installed. I'll let you know how I like it.

Great looking Speedster cover!! I went with the Cervini Speedster Cover and I am very pleased with it. It is a 2 part cover that fits in the trunk in the event I get caught by unexpected weather. I too have struggled with the "to stripe or not to stripe" issue and I have decided to leave it clean. I have posted a few pics on the off chance someone would want to compare the one peice Saleen with the 2 peice Cervini style. I hope you enjoy yours as I have mine.

Cheers!

post-29793-0-36905900-1307210020_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-43815000-1307210036_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-56335800-1307210068_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-62156100-1307210098_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-36905900-1307210020_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-43815000-1307210036_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-56335800-1307210068_thumb.jpg

post-29793-0-62156100-1307210098_thumb.jpg

Great looking Speedster cover!! I went with the Cervini Speedster Cover and I am very pleased with it. It is a 2 part cover that fits in the trunk in the event I get caught by unexpected weather. I too have struggled with the "to stripe or not to stripe" issue and I have decided to leave it clean. I have posted a few pics on the off chance someone would want to compare the one peice Saleen with the 2 peice Cervini style. I hope you enjoy yours as I have mine.

Cheers!

Looks pretty good! I definately like the old Saleen style with the two "humps" behind the seats but didn't like the 2 peice construction and how it fastens to the car.

I wouldn't stripe yours because missing black stripes on your car isn't as noticable as it is with red stripes. I'm glad you got everything to fit right and are happy with yours. Mine is definately an adventure to remove when I need to wash the car or put the top up but thanks to the Travel Link radar I never worry about rain and I don't drive it on days where it can rain.

Archived