TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Consumer Reports declining reliability on Mustang

BackInBlack

Just when I was about to take the plunge I read about worse than average reliability for the 05 and the 06 Mustang. Have there been that many problems recently with the S197 to have them no longer be recommended.

I had a 2000 and it was a dream. Now a 2006 and no problems. Little "picky" things here n there.

Just when I was about to take the plunge I read about worse than average reliability for the 05 and the 06 Mustang. Have there been that many problems recently with the S197 to have them no longer be recommended.

You couldn't pay me to read anything consumer reports has to say! If you go by anything they have to report your like would be a total wreck!

Worse than avarage reliability than what? How? In what way?

There is nothing that I know of about the mustang being less than reliable. If that were the case do you really think all these forums like this would exist???

The ONLY thing that I know of that a mustang isn't going to be that reliable on is driving them in the snow.

If you like mustangs buy one and quit reading about them.

Well, although I live and die by CR (I think their research and testing is the best in the industry...), I wouldn't fret over the reliability ratings. A nightmare is "much worse than average"..... Keep in mind they take a strictly sterile testing approach, with no account for the emotional aspect of the purchase.

I know there were a number of minor issues with '05s (gas tank vacuum for example), as there will be with any new clean sheet design, but things overall improved in '06 and hopefully will continue throughout '07. Another great website for reliability (based on consumer replies) is truedelta.com. Michael Karesh has had some issues with CR's research strategy and has devised his own formulatic approach. It's always nice having 2nd opinions.

Finally, I don't believe there is any "fence sitting" with the Mustang....I rarely hear of someone with a spontaneous Mustang purchase. It is in many ways a destination vehicle, not unlike the Corvette, 911, or even Mini Cooper. Either you want it or you don't. Even when the competition shows up later this year and next (Challenger and Camaro), I highly doubt many people are going to be cross-shopping the vehicles. Performance-oriented consumers know what they want, and (if responsible) are going to pull the trigger when they are in a financial position to buy one.

Cheers, and may your dreams come true.....

(PS....I'm facing my own Mustang dilemna. I'm ready to pull the trigger next month on my Mustang, and the wife [dead set against the whole idea to begin with] is pressuring me to give the Saab 9-3 a shot. Now I really like the Saab [always have], but the Mustang has just the right amount of sass and attitude I want right now in my life. She's of the mindset that the Saab is 'classier', and the Mustang for high school punk burn-outs. I have a major campaign ahead of me, eh??!?)

(PS....I'm facing my own Mustang dilemna. I'm ready to pull the trigger next month on my Mustang, and the wife [dead set against the whole idea to begin with] is pressuring me to give the Saab 9-3 a shot. Now I really like the Saab [always have], but the Mustang has just the right amount of sass and attitude I want right now in my life. She's of the mindset that the Saab is 'classier', and the Mustang for high school punk burn-outs. I have a major campaign ahead of me, eh??!?)

How many high school punks drive these anyways. Have her go to the High school parking lot and look for a few of these. Good luck finding one. :hysterical:

Since you posted this in a Mustang Forum you can imagine the replies you'll get. It'll be either, "I love it unconditionally", "I have small problems, but I hardly notice them anymore" or "Mustangs suck, go (pick your other brand)". Probably not many of the last! :hysterical:

As with most cars, you'll have most that are good to great, some that have issues (hopefully minor and fixable) and some that are lemons and shouldn't have left the factory (TTB has a good example). CR relies on reported data and statistics. Stats may say the quality is going down, but the hard thing is - compared to what. There isn't a good scale that accurately and quantitatively defines the ratings.

I use CR as a guide - if all is equal, I'll likely pick a higher rated product over one with a low rating. The "low" rating may still be very good, just not as good as the "best" one.

Who's car is it going to be?

Who wears the pants and who wears the panties in your house?

Grow a pair man... :hysterical2::hysterical2:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, although I live and die by CR (I think their research and testing is the best in the industry...), I wouldn't fret over the reliability ratings. A nightmare is "much worse than average"..... Keep in mind they take a strictly sterile testing approach, with no account for the emotional aspect of the purchase.

I know there were a number of minor issues with '05s (gas tank vacuum for example), as there will be with any new clean sheet design, but things overall improved in '06 and hopefully will continue throughout '07. Another great website for reliability (based on consumer replies) is truedelta.com. Michael Karesh has had some issues with CR's research strategy and has devised his own formulatic approach. It's always nice having 2nd opinions.

Finally, I don't believe there is any "fence sitting" with the Mustang....I rarely hear of someone with a spontaneous Mustang purchase. It is in many ways a destination vehicle, not unlike the Corvette, 911, or even Mini Cooper. Either you want it or you don't. Even when the competition shows up later this year and next (Challenger and Camaro), I highly doubt many people are going to be cross-shopping the vehicles. Performance-oriented consumers know what they want, and (if responsible) are going to pull the trigger when they are in a financial position to buy one.

Cheers, and may your dreams come true.....

Welcome eh!, Dave.

Life is what you make of it. If you can afford it, buy it. :banana piano: Too many of us wait for retirement to enjoy life and then it is too late. ;) Consumer reports are only one source of info. Look how many happy Mustang owners are on this site. :D :yahoo:

Well I quess I'll find out about the reliability first hand, I signed the sales order tonight on a white GT/CS. Question, do I have to change my screen name now?

Welcome BackInBlack. Congratulation on ordering a beautiful car. If you are gonna change your screen name do it quick. :hysterical2: Your post count will go back to zero unless one of the nice people :hysterical: fixes it.

:hysterical2:

:hysterical:

:beerchug: :backtotopic:

• 1 month later...

Consumer Reports favors imports especially Toyota. The report I saw a couple years ago said "Predicted" reliability lower than average..." What a joke. I had an '04 Mustang and never had a problem with it or my '93 T-Bird (I've owned since '93 just sold last year) either. Also, when I read that they rated a Toyota Matrix very highly and the Pontiac Vibe much lower- and they are the very same car- it made it very obvious that they do favor Toyotas over American ones especially GM vehicles they really trash constantly.

So yes I agree with Rufstang- Consumer Reports sucks.

Archived