TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GTS

JeffIsHereToo

Excellent debate....I agree to a point on what cobrafan said but "a Shelby for every person" was never meant to be. The need to put out just a nicer car than the GTS was and is the issue here. I mean this car was quickly put together with parts made from other cars and left over parts from the SGT, not saying that is bad but why not put a little thought into it. The GT350 should have been that car to me. Once the molds are built the car becomes put together less expensively everytime, so the N/A version of the a car 'like" the GT350 should have been made for $17,500-$20K over the msrp of a stock Mustang GT. It should have had base package like the GTS but with tire & wheel upgrade too and look like the higher end ones and "almost" same appearance as the big money GT350's. You could have gotten that car for 47'ish to $52 ish and that car would have sold a lot. And then the guys who could afford or wanted to have it all could have bought the SC package, bigger and better suspension, bigger brake package, colling package, interior package etc....etc.... etc... This would have brought the price tag up to $70K-80K+++ but they could have still had the same objective, sell more cars just make them a great car. This would have been and should have been the marketing idea behind this new product, the GT350, not some V-6 model that sounds like it has a fart can strapped to its ass.

They also need to focus on current 2011-12-13 cars besides still making old new cars as these are bascially new cars to the public. Yes I mean GT/SR, GT/SC, SE, 2007 SS, 2008 SS-09SS-10SS-11SS cars that are basically new cars to the public. If it is not more than a year old make it and improve it but don't make any more of the old ones this only takes away from the new products SA is trying to bring to the market.

In ending, this "build a Shelby for every person" slogan dilutes the cars out there and puts substandard Shelby Mustangs on the street, this hurts the brand more than helps it. But since Carroll does not run the company successfully himself he has to rely on the people who do............this was a marketing snafu, big big marketing mistake with this car, in my opinion.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Shelby GT = SGT, therefore the Shelby GTS = SGTS. The GTS is too non-specific. For example, you could be referring to the HSV GTS, the Ferrari 348 GTS, the Maserati MS GTS, the BMW M3 GTS, the Porsche Carrera GTS, the Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS, the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, the Dodge Viper GTS, the Toyota Celica GTS, the Toyota Corolla GTS, the Dodge Dart GTS, or the Mustang GTS.

1995 Mustang GTS

1995_00039_02.jpg

Furthermore, the GTS label was used by Ford as a stripped down version of their Mustang GT in 1995. They used the GT V8 powertrain. They came without spoilers or fog lamps. They had the same interior as the V6 except for the instruments. They did have the GT badging on the fenders and embossed into the rear bumper. Unless you want people to assume the new Shelby is a stripped down car, I wouldn't use the GTS label.

Therefore, the SGTS stays.

Man, you guys are brutal. Irregardless of how many cars that Shelby has built, is building, or will build is a great idea to me. I'm just glad they have continued to be able to keep churning out vehicles in a crap economy. The way I look at it is every car that they come up with, no matter what that may be, will keep the legacy strong of the greatest automotive icon ever.

Keep in mind that inorder for SA to stay in business they MUST consider every possibility.

The thing that disappoints me most is the fact that everyone an their brother whined and cried when they brought back the 350 that it was too expensive. Well, they are now offering not only one car but two cars that one can get into for less than a 350.

Therefore, the SGTS stays.

Okay your the authority of everything Shelby..........Have you drove your Shelby today.....?

I still have not heard Shelby once call it a SGTS. One thing that turns people away from internet forums is misinformation. I am starting to get sick of all the know it alls who actually are misinforming everybody else.

Okay your the authority of everything Shelby..........Have you drove your Shelby today.....?

I still have not heard Shelby once call it a SGTS. One thing that turns people away from internet forums is misinformation. I am starting to get sick of all the know it alls who actually are misinforming everybody else.

What a trashy comment. So, since I haven't driven a Shelby lately, I can't call the car a SGTS. As I recall it, it was a TS member that came up with the SGT abbreviation also.

Man, you guys are brutal. Irregardless of how many cars that Shelby has built, is building, or will build is a great idea to me. I'm just glad they have continued to be able to keep churning out vehicles in a crap economy. The way I look at it is every car that they come up with, no matter what that may be, will keep the legacy strong of the greatest automotive icon ever.

Keep in mind that inorder for SA to stay in business they MUST consider every possibility.

The thing that disappoints me most is the fact that everyone an their brother whined and cried when they brought back the 350 that it was too expensive. Well, they are now offering not only one car but two cars that one can get into for less than a 350.

You even agreed with me on how many Shelbys were made before you removed your post, so what is with that? The GT350 should have been made more affordable on the bottom end N/A version and that would have made the high end GT350's all that more desirable, period. This GTS car will not be around for long...........a "Shelby for every buyer" OMG this was never how any Shelby buiyer thought of his car. The Shelby Mustang was a car few people had because they were frign magic, the ones who did have them loved them because they were rare but never priced out of the market, they blew a great chance with the N/A GT350! Hey who knows maybe they'll wake up next year when they see that the Shelby buyers know what they want, a car that is well over and above the Mustang GT. Not a body kit without even a engine flash or higher HP and stock Mustang wheels & tires with Carroll's name on it for $10K.............. a no. And the bottom line is they could have sold many more GT350's @ $17K++ to $20K++ over the base GT Mustang and not have to put out a substandard Shelby.Ugh! I love my GT/SC though, what a car.

Ok I am done here..........next.

post-10457-0-59376700-1306360772_thumb.jpg

post-10457-0-59376700-1306360772_thumb.jpg

Excellent debate....I agree to a point on what cobrafan said but "a Shelby for every person" was never meant to be. The need to put out just a nicer car than the GTS was and is the issue here. I mean this car was quickly put together with parts made from other cars and left over parts from the SGT, not saying that is bad but why not put a little thought into it. The GT350 should have been that car to me. Once the molds are built the car becomes put together less expensively everytime, so the N/A version of the a car 'like" the GT350 should have been made for $17,500-$20K over the msrp of a stock Mustang GT. It should have had base package like the GTS but with tire & wheel upgrade too and look like the higher end ones and "almost" same appearance as the big money GT350's. You could have gotten that car for 47'ish to $52 ish and that car would have sold a lot. And then the guys who could afford or wanted to have it all could have bought the SC package, bigger and better suspension, bigger brake package, colling package, interior package etc....etc.... etc... This would have brought the price tag up to $70K-80K+++ but they could have still had the same objective, sell more cars just make them a great car. This would have been and should have been the marketing idea behind this new product, the GT350, not some V-6 model that sounds like it has a fart can strapped to its ass.

They also need to focus on current 2011-12-13 cars besides still making old new cars as these are bascially new cars to the public. Yes I mean GT/SR, GT/SC, SE, 2007 SS, 2008 SS-09SS-10SS-11SS cars that are basically new cars to the public. If it is not more than a year old make it and improve it but don't make any more of the old ones this only takes away from the new products SA is trying to bring to the market.

In ending, this "build a Shelby for every person" slogan dilutes the cars out there and puts substandard Shelby Mustangs on the street, this hurts the brand more than helps it. But since Carroll does not run the company successfully himself he has to rely on the people who do............this was a marketing snafu, big big marketing mistake with this car, in my opinion.

Swede,

All great points. We have a difference in opinion and I can see and respect your positions. I guess my parting comment would be that I don't believe there is any way that Shelby can flood the market to diminish the brand. They physically cannot produce enough cars. Let's say they produce 500 GTS's, good luck with this one. That is basically a pimple on the overall production of modern Shelby's. If I'm wrong and they produce 1,000 it still won't make one ioda of a difference on the future price of a SuperSnake, KR, GT, 40th, or Terlingua or any other Shelby model save for the GTS. A person that wants to buy a 2007 SuperSnake because it was the first year it was offered won't give a wit about how many GTS's were produced. It is sort of like the debate Amy used to have on this forum when people would call for closing down a model (right after they got theirs) because they wanted to keep exclusivity. Her point, easy for you to say, you have yours. There was a huge debate when Ford extended the announced two year production run of the GT500. Look up some of those old posts, people were very angry. In fact, they were hot as hornets on the verge of stroke. The fact of the matter is look how much better Ford and Shelby have made these cars because they kept the brand moving forward. In the end, none of us have much influence on the direction of Shelby or Ford but we have all benefited from the past 5 years.

Swede, for the record. I did not delete my post.

Oh it must have been someone else who can delete posts as if they were not there ever! I wonder who that could have been? ;) Who ever it was got in BIG trouble for siding with 'ol Swede! :hysterical:

Thank you for letting me voice my opinion here this is what these forums are for, good or bad opinions.

Not sure what you are trying to get at. No one that I am aware of has gotten in any trouble.

All is good, a good civil debate is never a bad thing. We can all agree to have different opinions. This car like any other is a hit for some and not others. Again, not everyone is ever going to be pleased.

I'm glad you are liking your new GT/SC, makes you wonder why you waited huh? I know I did.

Swede,

All great points. We have a difference in opinion and I can see and respect your positions. I guess my parting comment would be that I don't believe there is any way that Shelby can flood the market to diminish the brand. They physically cannot produce enough cars. Let's say they produce 500 GTS's, good luck with this one. That is basically a pimple on the overall production of modern Shelby's. If I'm wrong and they produce 1,000 it still won't make one ioda of a difference on the future price of a SuperSnake, KR, GT, 40th, or Terlingua or any other Shelby model save for the GTS. A person that wants to buy a 2007 SuperSnake because it was the first year it was offered won't give a wit about how many GTS's were produced. It is sort of like the debate Amy used to have on this forum when people would call for closing down a model (right after they got theirs) because they wanted to keep exclusivity. Her point, easy for you to say, you have yours. There was a huge debate when Ford extended the announced two year production run of the GT500. Look up some of those old posts, people were very angry. In fact, they were hot as hornets on the verge of stroke. The fact of the matter is look how much better Ford and Shelby have made these cars because they kept the brand moving forward. In the end, none of us have much influence on the direction of Shelby or Ford but we have all benefited from the past 5 years.

Cobra............between the lines I did read. Thanks for the debate and I'll agree on this we have benefited from the re emergence of the "brand", I am now a happy GT/SC owner and I do love the car and am very protective of the "brand". I am just hoping they produce strong stuff and won't end up with another Chrysler Shelby, ugh.

In good health-

Not sure what you are trying to get at. No one that I am aware of has gotten in any trouble.

All is good, a good civil debate is never a bad thing. We can all agree to have different opinions. This car like any other is a hit for some and not others. Again, not everyone is ever going to be pleased.

I'm glad you are liking your new GT/SC, makes you wonder why you waited huh? I know I did.

Ya, all is good, no blood no foul. I now wonder why I did wait so long, but it came through though that is the good thing. I might not have ever done it if Roger hadn't followed up so often and with the class of a unique car lover not a sales professional, he provided a spot on specimen in the GT/SC.

Swede- I have liked reading your posts for 4 years now...they are always interesting and thankfully you have an opinion!

Most have none...or wont admit to it....Cheers!

Personally I like the GTS.

We are usually on the same page, but we have been known to disagree with each other too :). All is good here, I wish the rain would stop so I can drive my car!

Probably because there will be more Shelby GTS cars sold in the first year compared to all the Terlingua sales combined. And please no hate mail from the Bunny owners, I love you as much as any other Shelby :)

Steve

Plus the Terlingua package is not available on the new body style is what I was told by John at the Chicago Auto Show

• 2 weeks later...

Chris....A-frikk'n-men!!!

Well said my brutha!

The 'other' Chris

she is really looking fantastic Michschi.......cudos to you my friend!

Thanks man! I have loved putting this car together the way I want it. However I have tried to keep the essence of the car. I don't want to make any changes that may cause it to no longer be recognized as a Shelby GT. I like to think I have accomplished that.

And of course, No stock parts were harmed in the making of this car! :hysterical: :hysterical:

Thanks man! I have loved putting this car together the way I want it. However I have tried to keep the essence of the car. I don't want to make any changes that may cause it to no longer be recognized as a Shelby GT. I like to think I have accomplished that.

And of course, No stock parts were harmed in the making of this car! :hysterical::hysterical:

Mike- YOU HAVE DONE JUST THAT!!!! The car screams exactly what it is! Nice job bud! :superhero:

I have a question that is re-focused on this OP's question...

As you all know, I mean the UT-MOST respect when asking this. I just scoured the GT350 forum and get the sense that there is a severe slowing of guys getting their cars? It appears that there is some lack of excitement for a few guys that have had their cars sitting in storage untouched for far too long now.

That said...how is SA going to get these new GTS cars assembled alongside the 350's with any more or different expediency??? It would seem that if they can't get the 350 cars built in any kind of a timely fashion, how will they be able to launch this new car with any furvour?

Again, I am respectfully asking for the reason that there doesn't seem to be any takers on this forum under "Who Ordered One" threads? :lurk:

Chris

As you all know, I mean the UT-MOST respect when asking this. I just scoured the GT350 forum and get the sense that there is a severe slowing of guys getting their cars? It appears that there is some lack of excitement for a few guys that have had their cars sitting in storage untouched for far too long now.

That said...how is SA going to get these new GTS cars assembled alongside the 350's with any more or different expediency??? It would seem that if they can't get the 350 cars built in any kind of a timely fashion, how will they be able to launch this new car with any furvour?

Again, I am respectfully asking for the reason that there doesn't seem to be any takers on this forum under "Who Ordered One" threads? :lurk:

Chris

You place your order now BUT they wont begin to build it for X amount of days.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

Yes even with your respectful manner it is a very difficult question to ask..........because you already know the answer. The GTS will be the ultimate collectors Mustang one day, when we are all dead ofcourse, because there might only be a handful ever made. If you ordered one with massive options you'll have a true winner in your will. :) Good thought pattern though, respectful.

Yes even with your respectful manner it is a very difficult question to ask..........because you already know the answer. The GTS will be the ultimate collectors Mustang one day, when we are all dead ofcourse, because there might only be a handful ever made. If you ordered one with massive options you'll have a true winner in your will. :) Good thought pattern though, respectful.

My usual advice:

Buy the car you wanna drive.

Speculations on "future values" are SILLY.I bought a HOUSE in Las Vegas, no greater risk.

Drive it while you're ALIVE! Enjoy screwing your descendants out of their inheritence. If it goes UP, cool.

Jer

My usual advice:

Buy the car you wanna drive.

Speculations on "future values" are SILLY.I bought a HOUSE in Las Vegas, no greater risk.

Drive it while you're ALIVE! Enjoy screwing your descendants out of their inheritence. If it goes UP, cool.

Jer

Jer - No Jer, you must always be speculative as I have made millions of dollars doing it. If you are not speculative you know what they say " a fool and his money are soon parted", so is that SILLY? I think you can answer that. But I do agree, drive 'em while you can.

PS: Please do not take this reply as disrespect, my answers sometimes come accross that way but I am really just debating the issue. :)

Dave

EDITED:

Archived