TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GTS

JeffIsHereToo

So here is my thinking:

• It preserves the moniker of "Shelby GT" as a unique 2007-2008 release
  • It extends the subtle elegance of the SGT into the new body and engine config
  • It provides a way those of us that bought right out of the gate a chance to buy with history as a guide.
  • It gives us options in configuration and features that were not as well defined or understood four years ago

I didn't think SA could convince me to sell my SGT, and even now it's an idea I struggle with, but this is a REALLY compelling offering. I'm thinking it's going to be something I do. All I need is a good white used 2011 GT! :-)

Opinion?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is my thinking:

• It provides a way those of us that bought right out of the gate a chance to buy with history as a guide.
  • It gives us options in configuration and features that were not as well defined or understood four years ago

I didn't think SA could convince me to sell my SGT, and even now it's an idea I struggle with, but this is a REALLY compelling offering. I'm thinking it's going to be something I do. All I need is a good white used 2011 GT! :-)

Opinion?

Go for it, and get the painted stripes!

Jer

Opinion?

Awww, you beat me to the punch, Jeff.....I was gonna start the same thread!

As a 2007 SGT owner, I was at first put off by the GTS..kinda feeling that our thunder was stolen, our uniqueness taken away, and in a manner that the GT-500 had not been able. And yeah, maybe I was a bit jealous, too.

But now I clearly see a difference and in fact, an enhancement for the '07/'08 SGTs. As you note - and in fact Shelby is trumpeting in their advertising - the SGT pointed the way for the new GTS. It's always good to be first! (Ooops, well, there were those sixties GT-350 things).

Also, the variety of options that you can order for the GTS is cool, but I also think it will severely dilute the identity of this model Shelby. There was a straight forward uniformity -and thus very clear identity - in the SGT with its limited paint schemes and options.

And I know it's been beat to death, but it it is still very valid - I am delighted to see that the GTS will be a post-titled Shelby. We still hold the title, so to speak.

Lastly, I'm finally now able to claim ownership of an "older" model Shelby. It ain't exactly long in the tooth, but it's now very gracefully climbing up the classic ladder thanks to the new Shelby additions.

Bottom line, I love the GTS - mainly 'cause it makes me appreciate my SGT even more.

So here is my thinking:

•  

Opinion?

I guess I have mixed emotions over seeing this new car from Shelby. I suppose I was hoping the SGT would always be a one-of-a-kind Shelby vehicle, which is guess it still is to a certain extent. It was probably inevitable that they would produce a newer version of the SGT with several of the modifications that would have been nice for our cars. Time marches on. One thing for sure is that there is a plethora of Mustang models out there. I hope it does not dilute the whole Mustang mystique. Bottom line – change is hard for an old guy.

I guess I have mixed emotions over seeing this new car from Shelby. I suppose I was hoping the SGT would always be a one-of-a-kind Shelby vehicle, which is guess it still is to a certain extent. It was probably inevitable that they would produce a newer version of the SGT with several of the modifications that would have been nice for our cars. Time marches on. One thing for sure is that there is a plethora of Mustang models out there. I hope it does not dilute the whole Mustang mystique. Bottom line – change is hard for an old guy.

As said above, the SGT still holds the "pre-title" title for late model Shelbys, though I still get a little miffed at car shows where "judges" don't even know what the SGT is and then go ga-ga over the GT500s!

Sam

So here is my thinking:

•  

Opinion?

Here's my opinion for what its worth the Shelby GT is pre-title , it also looks better in my humble opinion than the GT350 and the GTS. It was also the 1st of the reborn Shelbys the proto-type if you will and that is probably the most important point. We also paid what we paid for them which is less then the new 2 models. That being said, you now have the Shelby GT350 n all the cash that those guys paid to have that model n moniker. Now along comes the GTS that looks like the GT350 except for the hood n the rearend, but will be potential just as fast for a fraction of what the GT350 guys paid. So I definately feel sorry for the GT350 guys, Now if you look at it in this light I feel really great about the original SGT looking as awesome as it does compared to the new bodys which I like, but just not as sweet and retro looking as the original SGT. So i will be keeping my GT/SC and with the money I have saved I believe those that have the SGT are the ones that made the best purchase and in the end the car will not be considered over priced or diluted in any way since it was the 1st. Imho

Scotty

you guys have strong beliefs but the truth is more shelbys = your value just dropped some more.

I'd respectfully disagree.

All Shelbys are worth what they're worth, and no new models will change that, certainly not if "pre-title" means anything (which it doesn't right now).

Of course, the best part is if you bought your car to drive, in which case, "value" is a concern best considered by people with SGTs sealed in shrink-wrap with 4 miles on them.

Those folks aren't my crowd.

This announcement is a good show of strength and adaptability by SAI, it just spreads the influence, interest, and excitement. These are Mustangs, not Cuban cigars.

Proud of my rock chips,

Jer

you guys have strong beliefs but the truth is more shelbys = your value just dropped some more.

I could not agree with you more SVT !!! B) Dilution of the Brand ; Rarity is what made Shelbys desirable along with winning Championships.

Scotty

I'd respectfully disagree.

All Shelbys are worth what they're worth, and no new models will change that, certainly not if "pre-title" means anything (which it doesn't right now).

Of course, the best part is if you bought your car to drive, in which case, "value" is a concern best considered by people with SGTs sealed in shrink-wrap with 4 miles on them.

Those folks aren't my crowd.

This announcement is a good show of strength and adaptability by SAI, it just spreads the influence, interest, and excitement. These are Mustangs, not Cuban cigars.

Proud of my rock chips,

Jer

I told Shelby I would like to see a SGTS (lol)

I also said I would like it post-title. :P

I like what I hear so far.

I may just bite down and buy one.

I could not agree with you more SVT !!! B). dilution of the Brand ; Rarity is what made Sheblys desirable along with winning Championships.

Scotty

The rarity of the 07 and 08 SGT remains.

"Pre-title".

The only people sick of hearing that are the people who don't have one.

Again, that being said, who cares? Does ANYONE want Shelby to shut down tomorrow? Your car will increase in value, and the market will be left to Roush, Saleen, and a massive bunch of newcomers who make "limited" Mustangs. Hell, even CERVINI'S has a model number they use...

It's a frickin' CAR. Drive it!

I, for one, am delighted to see Shelby bring cool cars to as many people as possible. The fact that today's teenagers think of WRX STIs and Mitsu EVOs as "badass" shows the need for more great USA-based cool stuff. Ford's doing Bosses and CobraJets, Shelby's got a great lineup.... Hell, I even salute Chevy and Dodge for stepping it up. American Muscle needs all the great autos it can get!

Jer

"Pre-title".

Again, that being said, who cares? Does ANYONE want Shelby to shut down tomorrow? Your car will increase in value, and the market will be left to Roush, Saleen, and a massive bunch of newcomers who make "limited" Mustangs. Hell, even CERVINI'S has a model number they use...

I, for one, am delighted to see Shelby bring cool cars to as many people as possible. The fact that today's teenagers think of WRX STIs and Mitsu EVOs as "badass" shows the need for more great USA-based cool stuff. Ford's doing Bosses and CobraJets, Shelby's got a great lineup.... Hell, I even salute Chevy and Dodge for stepping it up. American Muscle needs all the great autos it can get!

Jer

Dodge has a new 6.4 L hemi. I am almost impressed 470 hp and torque.

I told Shelby I would like to see a SGTS (lol)

I also said I would like it post-title. :P

I like what I hear so far.

I may just bite down and buy one.

A red GTS with white stripes? Gimme a bigger garage, and *I* would buy my baby a partner! This is good for the company, I just can't endorse the idea that Shelby should stop building Shelbys! Read between the lines, THAT is what some folks wish for!

Jer

A red GTS with white stripes? Gimme a bigger garage, and *I* would buy my baby a partner! This is good for the company, I just can't endorse the idea that Shelby should stop building Shelbys! Read between the lines, THAT is what some folks wish for!

Jer

I want Shelby mustangs to be a family name. Cool mustangs brings youngsters and creates gear heads.

"Pre-title".

Jer

Jer,

You nailed it right there! Competition is a good thing... even for SAI. Each Shelby product line is special and appeals to different groups of enthusiasts, but at the end of the day we're all fans of Carroll and his vision. These new models allow some non-owner enthusiasts to finally realize their dream and provides other current owners with new opportunities for modern performance. I think this helps all Shelby's by generating a larger circle of enthusiasts.

Also, cars are generally NOT a good investment if you're looking to make a profit. If you are looking to "cash in" on your Shelby in the distant future, there are many other types of financial "vehicles" that will provide a better return on your hard earned money. We should all follow Jer's advice... get out there and DRIVE your Shelby, rock chips and all.

Jer,

You nailed it right there! Competition is a good thing... even for SAI. Each Shelby product line is special and appeals to different groups of enthusiasts, but at the end of the day we're all fans of Carroll and his vision. These new models allow some non-owner enthusiasts to finally realize their dream and provides other current owners with new opportunities for modern performance. I think this helps all Shelby's by generating a larger circle of enthusiasts.

Also, cars are generally NOT a good investment if you're looking to make a profit. If you are looking to "cash in" on your Shelby in the distant future, there are many other types of financial "vehicles" that will provide a better return on your hard earned money. We should all follow Jer's advice... get out there and DRIVE your Shelby, rock chips and all.

Thanks... I got my driver's license in 1986. There was NOTHING I lusted after. Just the 1966 Mustang fastback a neighbor had. These days, a young hot rodder has choices. Nothing wrong with that!

Jer

I like the fact that a SGTS is being offered, now with that being said, even with as many different versions of Shelby vehicles being made I rarely see another Shelby on the road and even more so at the track in which these cars are prepped for. I don't think the brand is being diluted but rather see it as a growth. Will I get rid of my SGT? No way!!! I am still saving my "lunch money" for a supercharger :rockon:

I like the fact that a SGTS is being offered, now with that being said, even with as many different versions of Shelby vehicles being made I rarely see another Shelby on the road and even more so at the track in which these cars are prepped for. I don't think the brand is being diluted but rather see it as a growth. Will I get rid of my SGT? No way!!! I am still saving my "lunch money" for a supercharger :rockon:

+1.

I did the suspension.

I did the brakes.

I got all the other cool stuff.

Bring me a BLOWER!

Nothing diluted here!

Jer

So here is my thinking:

Opinion?

Keep your SGT and add the new car...

Just remember you will have to look at that rear end on the new body style sometime...and IMHO its not a pretty sight...

Otherwise if that is cool with your aesthetics....Bitchen Car!!!

Disagree...not the same model....

For proof study the Ferrari Market....the many 360's et al only served to raise the interest and values in the earlier cars like say a 512. Or the 60's cars....

I wonder if any of the folks that have a white doaner car in Q are now thinking did I pay too much? I also wonder if you want to change your mind could you move from the GT350 to the GTS.

I like both cars and had issues with the cost of the GT350. If I didn't own a Shelby I would certainly be in the market for a GTS as I could have it my way.

The new model is just too cool.

GG

Value? By the time my SGT has any value more than what it has now, I'll be dead! :P (I apologize in advance to those who might purchase it in the future and curse me for the mileage!)

Folks who want to "shrink wrap" and preserve the car for their next-of-kin, that's your call, but that's not my idea of enjoying the car!

Sam

1. The SGT is the best looking of all the late model shelby's. ( white one's are also faster)

2. This new model will take sales away from the used SGT market.

3. I like the new model

4. I almost wish that I would have waited and gotten this car so much cheaper.

5. Good fortune to all the budget wannabe shelby owners!

1st and foremost, if your into your Shelby for the resale, your going to be disappointed big time. The only people who make money on later models cars or cars in general, mostly anyway, are the dealers who selll them! Cars are NOT an early investment opportunity rather they are an early depreciating opportunity no matter what new models come along. So sorry to rain on your parade. ;)

EDITED:

I love my SGT and would never sell, but I think if I was going to drop another $10k I would buy a new Boss 302 and not the GTS.

:yup:

Just for grins, I priced out the BOSS 302 and at MSRP it was going to be around the same $$$... Now where did I put those "winning" PowerBall tickets :headscratch:

Looked through the brochures for the GTS. Looks great.

With the total price in the 40's.(for a V8 model) I would just wait to buy a good low mileage used one in a few years.

Just like I did for my GT-C.

Would have thought the V8 badging would be different than the V6.

Stripes only in black and white, no hood scoop and the shifter looks stock.

So no faded stripes, warped scoop or rattling shifter. What fun is that? ;)

Archived