TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What happened to the Shelby SR?

socalwrench

Recently, as I was thinking about the recent great Shelby cars, I kept having a recurring thought- What happened to the Shelby SR? I was told that the car was a failure (although I'm not sure why), and the prototype was sold at auction along with it's sibling the Shelby Turbo.

So, let's figure this out once and for all. What happened to the Shelby SR?

post-24817-0-66234400-1303318504_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-69524100-1303318522_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-66234400-1303318504_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-69524100-1303318522_thumb.jpg

Recently, as I was thinking about the recent great Shelby cars, I kept having a recurring thought- What happened to the Shelby SR? I was told that the car was a failure (although I'm not sure why), and the prototype was sold at auction along with it's sibling the Shelby Turbo.

So, let's figure this out once and for all. What happened to the Shelby SR?

I liked the concept of the vehicle more than any other at the time but the styling and graphics were rather lame compared to other Shelby vehicles. I was hoping for something along the same lines for the GT500s that would be more track oriented but less $$$$ than the Super Snake. A new SR based on the 5.0 would be pretty sweet.

Well here's where the concept cars were sold at BJ Palm Beach last year.

SR concept sold for $80,300

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=370.2&aid=323&pop=0

Turbo concept sold for $70,400

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=374.2&aid=323&pop=0

There were some SR's (or SC's) made. I'm not sure how many, see this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63200-terlingue-event-posted-pic-of-srs/

This was right about when the economy tanked, so I doubt there were too many Mustang GT owners standing in line with about $20- $30K to do this. Just my guess.

Those were certainly beautiful cars and a great idea!!

The Supercharged was basically the street package, where the SR was more designed around track. The SR included 1" Drop ball joints, more Eibach suspension, 3:73 gears, Baer 6 piston brakes, etc. Base Supercharged was around $22K where the SR was $31 ish. I don't know if there were any customer SR's actually completed? I've never seen one posted on here that I can recall.

i agree, the side stripes are a bit too much. I think a more conventional GT500 or SGT style side stripe would have been better.

Still trying to figure out what happened to it though.

Personally, I think it comes down to how many ways can you re-badge a CS6/CS8 vehicle and try to keep it current ??

As Amy once told me of the Terilingua and CS6 platform..."Yes we know it's the same but it's different"

If you take a vehicle (the CS6) that was completely re-designed from the ground up, change the hood, front fascia, grill, lights, rear fascia, spoiler, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, rear end and supercharge it

then you do exactly the same thing a couple of years later to a newer vehicle utilizing many of the original and very similar parts does it become a completely new vehicle or just a modified version or the original vehicle ?

A Super Snake is a Super Snake is a Supersnake......there may have been an update on brakes or wheels or hoods, or a bigger super charger but regardless of the modifications at the end of the day it's still a Supersnake.

SAI is not attempting to sell waterdowned versions of the SS vehicle or re-brand it under ten different banners.

People like a little consistancy and I think if they would have just promoted the CS6 / CS8 vehicles to the fullest and made slight performance or esthetics modifications they would have had a much greater success rate.

The Supercharged was basically the street package, where the SR was more designed around track. The SR included 1" Drop ball joints, more Eibach suspension, 3:73 gears, Baer 6 piston brakes, etc. Base Supercharged was around $22K where the SR was $31 ish. I don't know if there were any customer SR's actually completed? I've never seen one posted on here that I can recall.

Roger Sorel's SGT had the SR package done to it I believe, but without the graphics. He has since sold it.

Personally, I think it comes down to how many ways can you re-badge a CS6/CS8 vehicle and try to keep it current ??

As Amy once told me of the Terilingua and CS6 platform..."Yes we know it's the same but it's different"

If you take a vehicle (the CS6) that was completely re-designed from the ground up, change the hood, front fascia, grill, lights, rear fascia, spoiler, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, rear end and supercharge it

then you do exactly the same thing a couple of years later to a newer vehicle utilizing many of the original and very similar parts does it become a completely new vehicle or just a modified version or the original vehicle ?

A Super Snake is a Super Snake is a Supersnake......there may have been an update on brakes or wheels or hoods, or a bigger super charger but regardless of the modifications at the end of the day it's still a Supersnake.

SAI is not attempting to sell waterdowned versions of the SS vehicle or re-brand it under ten different banners.

People like a little consistancy and I think if they would have just promoted the CS6 / CS8 vehicles to the fullest and made slight performance or esthetics modifications they would have had a much greater success rate.

Except the CS6 and CS8 were kits only correct? You bought the parts and then had someone install them or installed them yourself I thought.

I think there are way to many differences between the CS8 and the SR to even consider them alike. Now the CS6 and teh Terlingua are similar in several ways but even so they are more different than similar.

Roger Sorel's SGT had the SR package done to it I believe, but without the graphics. He has since sold it.

I can't even talk about this sore subject...............I have funds but they will not do it to my car since I already have half the mods and they will only do it as a whole package so that means everything that I have put on the car would have to be taken off.

They still will do the GT/SR but you will have to have a car that has not been modified.

I am excited about my future BOSS 302 though...........

I dont think ROGERS old car had all the options to actually be a GT/SR so I think you might not be 100% correct on that above statement. I guess he would have to come in and chime in on that

Yeah, I did notice a lot of similar parts.

Sportscars, you are correct, the CS6 and CS8 cars were sold as KITS that were installed onto a regular Mustang. The install could be done at a mod shop or by the owner. There was a huge debate on registration, CSM numbers, and plaques because it was a kit. Some owners felt that since their kit was done at a mod shop it should get the plaque and CSM number. In the end, it was determined that the CS cars were meant to be, and will stay, Shelby modified Mustangs. One last note, I think the CS kits were a great idea, but the logistics weren't done correctly. I like the DIY idea, but think it SAI could have sold badges and decals ONLY in the kits or WITH verification after the build. To me, it doesn't matter who installed it, as long as it was done properly. There are only 12 CS cars that I know of that were done properly.

I suppose what I really liked about the SR, was that it was a turn key race package for the average Mustang GT.

Archived