TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Intake Elbow

All it will improve is the looks. I have the CF version and it looks awesome! One of the 1st mods I did.

Concur - it's all about the show. (And boy, does your blue intake manifold look sweet!!)

EngineBay4-1-11.jpg

I think Steeda says that a tune is required w/ their intake "elbow" - is that really true for a Shelby GT, or how did you guys handle that?

I think Steeda says that a tune is required w/ their intake "elbow" - is that really true for a Shelby GT, or how did you guys handle that?

When I first installed mine I was running the original SGT tune - and never changed a thing.

The SGT cold air intake was developed by Steeda in conjuction with Ford. So, in a nutshell the complete Steeda Kit and the SGT set-up are the same. If the MAF was going to be changed then yes a new tune would be needed to optimize. The JLT kit includes a much larger MAF then the Steeda/SGT set-up.

Either the CF or black plasic elbow from steeda is strictly a nut and bolt swap for the SGT (not so for the Mustang GT). A new tune would benefit the overall performance but is not necessary.

Here is a link to my intake cover: RPI Design

I had the Steeda carbon fibre on for awhile before I added a SC. It certainly does look nice. There was one thing that I found annoying, though, and I'm not sure whether anyone else has experienced this. It created a bit of a whistling sort of noise. I could definitely hear it as I shut the car off, which was no big deal at all. However, it would also make noise at certain times while driving, which I did find annoying. In fact, I took the car into the dealer thinking there was something else causing the noise and they isolated it to the intake elbow. It was installed correctly (super easy), but they believed the combine shape and short length were the issue. It definitely was the intake elbow too. The noise started after I put it on and went away again when I took it off.

Maybe this experience was unique to me, but I thought I'd mention it. I was really happy to sell it on ebay. I have supercharger wine now, but that sounds like music.

I love JLT but he doesn't make one for the FRPP CAI so I went with the Steeda Carbon Elbow !

web.jpg

web.jpg

Andrew

Looks great Andrew, I;m doing the same, I have the Steeda CF inlet albow and plan on installing the Ford racing intake in June for the same look. Going with the Blue ford racing valve covers to match the blue silicone hose that came with the steeda elbow. Thanks for posting though this also shows me that i can keep the stut tower brace with the FRPP intake. Did you have to do anything special or did it fit right from the begining without alterations?

Jeff

All of us NA guys what to mimic Andrew. I have the FRPP Intake, TB, and Hot Rod cams on my radar as well.

The only time my elbow whistled was when I 1st installed it and I didn't have a complete seal at the oil drain line (not sure if that's the right name) from the elbow to the passenger cam cover. I better sized 1-2in length of tubing was all I needed. You can see what I'm talking about in Andrew's second photo to the left on the elbow with the two closely spaced band clamps.

I installed the "regular" Steda elbow early on in my SGT ownership...I've also installed SSS Muffler Deletes...I have noticed a good bit of "black" in my exhaust pipes since the swap, and I contribute it to running a tad rich since the swap...I never did any re-tune, and could probably benefit from one and stop all the "black" in my pipes, but unfortunately out here in West Texas, there isn't any place local to get a tune done, and I just can't bring myself to buy a tuner and "custom" canned tune...maybe someday, but until my ship comes in at the airport, I'll live with it like it is....

Looks great Andrew, I;m doing the same, I have the Steeda CF inlet elbow and plan on installing the Ford racing intake in June for the same look. Going with the Blue ford racing valve covers to match the blue silicone hose that came with the steeda elbow. Thanks for posting though this also shows me that i can keep the strut tower brace with the FRPP intake. Did you have to do anything special or did it fit right from the beginning without alterations?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks, I had the blue valve covers on my last SGT and kinda wish I had put them on this one, but wanted to stay B&W. More than likely you will need the Blow By Racing motor mounts, they allow a 3/4" drop.

Take Care,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Got a link for it? I'm interested in snagging an intake hose that's better looking than stock, but still fairly subtle looking.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-high-flow-inlet-tube-for-2005-thru-2009-ford-mustang-gt.html

Thank you! Maybe not the right place to ask, but will this fit the Ford Racing twin 62mm throttle body? I'm planning to upgrade to that some day and I want to make sure any mods I make will fit together long term.

Look at my picture above.....I have the FRPP 62mm throttle body with the elbow. Fits perfect.

I bought the steeda elbow prior to going fi. According to steeda and brenspeed a tune is required when using the steeda elbow with the FRP(steeda/cai). From what I was told the elbow flowed better as it is smooth inside and it did effect the way the car would run. I never experimented with out a tune, just loaded the tune and put the elbow on. I have a C& L plastic elbow for sale that fits the FRP CAI. $70 delivered.

I bought the steeda elbow prior to going fi. According to steeda and brenspeed a tune is required when using the steeda elbow with the FRP(steeda/cai). From what I was told the elbow flowed better as it is smooth inside and it did effect the way the car would run. I never experimented with out a tune, just loaded the tune and put the elbow on. I have a C& L plastic elbow for sale that fits the FRP CAI. $70 delivered.

Yes, I have heard on the dyno the elbow gave a nice 9hp increase.

Yes, I have heard on the dyno the elbow gave a nice 9hp increase.

Maybe on a stock Mustang GT with the Steeda MAF and a tune.

Remember guys, the SGT came with an improved tune to accommodate the Cold Air intake. I would have to see some dyno numbers before I would believe that the 9hp could be attributed to the steeda elbow alone.

Is there something to be gained from a new tune on the SGT with te steeda elbow, sure, but now we are talking about a gain due to the tune and how was gained by the elbow. I would argue that the same gains would be made with the OE elbow and a new tune.

I've been running the steeda elbow for over two years now with the original SGT tune and have had absolutly no issues, and no noticeable improvement in power. Granted, I didn't do a before and after dyno test to verify anything, but by 'seat of the paints' I felt no improvement.

Maybe on a stock Mustang GT with the Steeda MAF and a tune.

Remember guys, the SGT came with an improved tune to accommodate the Cold Air intake. I would have to see some dyno numbers before I would believe that the 9hp could be attributed to the steeda elbow alone.

Is there something to be gained from a new tune on the SGT with te steeda elbow, sure, but now we are talking about a gain due to the tune and how was gained by the elbow. I would argue that the same gains would be made with the OE elbow and a new tune.

I've been running the steeda elbow for over two years now with the original SGT tune and have had absolutly no issues, and no noticeable improvement in power. Granted, I didn't do a before and after dyno test to verify anything, but by 'seat of the paints' I felt no improvement.

Steeda claims a 9hp increase with their dyno testing. Even so, that would only equate to a 1rwhp gain. So obviously that would not be a seat of the pants feeling lol. The Carbon Fiber Elbow does flow better since it allows the air to flow directly up to the throttle body unlike the stock rubber tube that bends out and then back in toward the throttle body. It is also smoother inside, and the carbon fiber resists the heat more so thus providing a colder supply of air. I thought it was a pretty good mod. They go for almost 200 bucks but I got mine on sale for 140 back in december.

My 100rwhp gain is definitely a seat of the pants feel though! ;):yahoo::peelout:

Steeda is unclear on their claim. I would assume their measurements were against the Mustang GT intake and not the FRPP intake which Steeds developed with Ford. For me, I would have to see back to back dyno pulls with the two intakes at the same ambiant air density/temp and humidity before I would believe there is any gain. I agree that quality of airflow is a factor, I just have a hard time believing the Steeda elbow has any real improvement over the FRPP elbow. The obvious differences in appearance/design between the two isn't enough for me.

Having said all that, the Steeda elbow looks BA (both the CF and Plastic versions) compared to to the original SGT elbow.

Steeda is unclear on their claim. I would assume their measurements were against the Mustang GT intake and not the FRPP intake which Steeds developed with Ford. For me, I would have to see back to back dyno pulls with the two intakes at the same ambiant air density/temp and humidity before I would believe there is any gain. I agree that quality of airflow is a factor, I just have a hard time believing the Steeda elbow has any real improvement over the FRPP elbow. The obvious differences in appearance/design between the two isn't enough for me.

Having said all that, the Steeda elbow looks BA (both the CF and Plastic versions) compared to to the original SGT elbow.

• 1 year later...

i cant afford the CF elbow..at least not at this time. but, with the help of this thread i did get the steeda black elbow and hoses. ordered last night. try as i might i cant get that stock hose to "look new" again.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived