TEAM SHELBY FORUM

68 GT500 #00901

jerseygator

Wanted to share something that happened to me this weekend...

Went to a detail clinic on Saturday, in the pouring rain. No I didn't take my Shelby (2009 GT500 see sig). I took my Jeep.

But when I got there, I noticed a used, but not abused 68 GT500 sitting in the parking lot getting rained on. I immediately sought out the owner...

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

As it turns out, the owner had been fighting in Vietnam and upon his return home in 68 he bought it brand new for $1500! He has made some mods to the 390 and has changed the wheels to a Hurst brand. And has driven it daily for many years. Even in the PA snow! It is also an automatic.

He is not computer savey and didn't seem to know anything about the registry or rarity of the car he chooses to drive daily. I posted the serial number above. I told him I'd post on TS and try to find out more about this particular car. Would someone be able to get the details from the registry? Also, estimated value...

I tried but with no success.

Thanks,

Peter

what a clinic .... how to detail in the rain.

sounds like an automatic rust bucket. lol

if he is the original owner, then, he should have all the paperwork.

he can order the deluxe marti report:

http://www.martiauto.com/

Do you see that hugh building in the background? He has 7k sqaure ft under roof.... :finger:

Thanks for the info!

:salute:

According to the most recent registry for the 1968 Shelby it states: " 00901 GT500 - shipped to Pletcher Ford Inc. (Jenkintown PA.) 1/19/1968. Present owner not know." There is not much info available on this car.

Also the 68 GT500 came with a 428 PI engine. There were no 68 GT500's made with a 390 engine so if it currently has a 390 in it, the original was probably replaced.

As for "how much its worth?", that's a difficult question. Depending on a bunch of variables you could probably peg it from $55,000 to $95,000.

QSS

Also the 68 GT500 came with a 428 PI engine. There were no 68 GT500's made with a 390 engine so if it currently has a 390 in it, the original was probably replaced.

Just within the last couple of weeks I was watching the Barrett/Jackson auction and there was mention made that the cars were all 390 cars that had the 428's installed for the GT500 package so the VIN shows them as being 390ci cars.

I'm also thinking that they said there were a few of the first cars made that DID have the 390 in them but I can't say that for sure. I also remember something about the being 4-spd. cars....either that or the car on the block was a AT and they were saying the MT was more desireable.

I don't remember which BJ show it was, I just surf the channels late at night when I can't sleep and the subject title caught my eye so it might have been either a Mustang special, a Shelby special, or a combonation of "rare or collectable" cars special.

But I definitely DO remember them talking about them originally being 390 cars so I'm thinking maybe the owner checked the VIN and was told it was a 390, without someone "in the know" seeing that it is a 428.

Having said that, I know diddly squat about Shelby's history other than the AC Cobra (and my knowledge is minimal on them, at best).

Phill Pollard - 2010 Kona Blue/white GT500

According to the most recent registry for the 1968 Shelby it states: " 00901 GT500 - shipped to Pletcher Ford Inc. (Jenkintown PA.) 1/19/1968. Present owner not know." There is not much info available on this car.

As for "how much its worth?", that's a difficult question. Depending on a bunch of variables you could probably peg it from $55,000 to $95,000.

QSS

Absolutely correct... It was bought at Pletcher Ford. Larry Glemser is the original purchaser and only owner. Larry told me it came with the 390. He did make some internal changes. I'll chat with him next week. Thanks for all the input.

Should I get back to you folks as I find out more info? Larry's not computer savey... Also, to my surprise Larry said to me, "if this car is so rare. How come I know of at least 3 of these cars in the area?"

I'm on a mission to find and register them all!

In 68` there was428 ci engine production interuption so a few received 390`s I believe it was in Jan./68

Yeah, that's it. That seems to ring a big bell.

I'm pretty sure that's what was said on the BJ broadcast that I refered to. I *know* they said the 390 was somehow involved but I just couldn't remember the specifics.

Thanks for clearing that up,

Phill

Wanted to share something that happened to me this weekend...

Went to a detail clinic on Saturday, in the pouring rain. No I didn't take my Shelby (2009 GT500 see sig). I took my Jeep.

But when I got there, I noticed a used, but not abused 68 GT500 sitting in the parking lot getting rained on. I immediately sought out the owner...

As it turns out, the owner had been fighting in Vietnam and upon his return home in 68 he bought it brand new for $1500! He has made some mods to the 390 and has changed the wheels to a Hurst brand. And has driven it daily for many years. Even in the PA snow! It is also an automatic.

He is not computer savey and didn't seem to know anything about the registry or rarity of the car he chooses to drive daily. I posted the serial number above. I told him I'd post on TS and try to find out more about this particular car. Would someone be able to get the details from the registry? Also, estimated value...

I tried but with no success.

Thanks,

Peter

Either his memory is bad or he was pulling your leg. The MSRP on a 1968 GT500 was just about $5,000 so I can't fathom anyway a dealership would take a huge loss on the car as $1,500 was not even close to what the dealership paid for the car.

Steve

Either his memory is bad or he was pulling your leg. The MSRP on a 1968 GT500 was just about $5,000 so I can't fathom anyway a dealership would take a huge loss on the car as $1,500 was not even close to what the dealership paid for the car.

Steve

Could be... He is a 2 war veteran. Was the oldest man to serve in Iraq. He's full of stories... :)

Can't the vehicle purchase documents be verified or found?

Just within the last couple of weeks I was watching the Barrett/Jackson auction and there was mention made that the cars were all 390 cars that had the 428's installed for the GT500 package so the VIN shows them as being 390ci cars.

I'm also thinking that they said there were a few of the first cars made that DID have the 390 in them but I can't say that for sure. I also remember something about the being 4-spd. cars....either that or the car on the block was a AT and they were saying the MT was more desireable.

I don't remember which BJ show it was, I just surf the channels late at night when I can't sleep and the subject title caught my eye so it might have been either a Mustang special, a Shelby special, or a combonation of "rare or collectable" cars special.

But I definitely DO remember them talking about them originally being 390 cars so I'm thinking maybe the owner checked the VIN and was told it was a 390, without someone "in the know" seeing that it is a 428.

Having said that, I know diddly squat about Shelby's history other than the AC Cobra (and my knowledge is minimal on them, at best).

Phill Pollard - 2010 Kona Blue/white GT500

As an owner of a 68 GT350 I've studied the 68 Shelbys a lot. I also heard that on the Barrett-Jackson broadcast. All I can say is they are dead wrong on the 390 engine in the 68 GT500. Ford had no VIN letter assigned for the 428 engine in a Mustang when the model year began because that engine was not an engine offered in production Mustangs, the biggest engine offered as an option for regular production was a 390. The 1968 GT500 was limited production based on the big block chassis (uni-body) which has reinforced front shock towers for added strength. All GT500 Shelbys in 68 had the code letter in the VIN for a 390 even thought they had the 428 police interceptor engine . It wasn't until the introduction of the 428 Cobra Jet in April of 68 as a regular production option in the Mustang that a 428 had it's own letter designation "R". If you look at a Vin of a 68 1/2 Mustang with a 428CJ or a GT500KR you will see the "R". This is all documented with SAAC.

As an owner of a 68 GT350 I've studied the 68 Shelbys a lot. I also heard that on the Barrett-Jackson broadcast. All I can say is they are dead wrong on the 390 engine in the 68 GT500. Ford had no VIN letter assigned for the 428 engine in a Mustang when the model year began because that engine was not an engine offered in production Mustangs, the biggest engine offered as an option for regular production was a 390. The 1968 GT500 was limited production based on the big block chassis (uni-body) which has reinforced front shock towers for added strength. All GT500 Shelbys in 68 had the code letter in the VIN for a 390 even thought they had the 428 police interceptor engine . It wasn't until the introduction of the 428 Cobra Jet in April of 68 as a regular production option in the Mustang that a 428 had it's own letter designation "R". If you look at a Vin of a 68 1/2 Mustang with a 428CJ or a GT500KR you will see the "R". This is all documented with SAAC.

This is 100% correct. No 390 engines and i'm pretty sure no $1500 GT500 Shelby's in 68.

Check out SAAC for the "facts". dlangvardt is right on the money in regards to this car.

QSS

Archived