TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dashboard Squeaking

Snakehead

Snake -

Yup. It comes and goes with no obvious pattern (roads, tempurature). On my car it's about equally on the far right side and the far left, but never both at the same time. I have the interior upgrade, and it does seem to be caused by the visor padding or the plastic underneath it (more likely, I think). On the driver's side I can usually make it go away (for weeks!) by pushing forward on the visor in the vicinity of the side window defroster duct opening. On the right side, I've wedged some paper towel between the window and the plastic underneath the visor. This piece is the one that continues forward to the base of the windshield while the visor does not. Even after removing the paper towel a few hours later, the squeak was gone for weeks. It never seems to happen often enough, long enough, for me to get really serious about a fix. In general, the more I drive this car, the less picky I've become about nitnoids. Hopefully yours will pass. Problem is, the car's so quiet compared to my '93, 2001, and 2004 Cobras that I hear more of the little noises than before.

Same problem. Earlier thread talked about this and I guess it gave me some comfort that it isn't just mine. Anyone actually gone to the trouble to get it fixed?

This is the only real problem I've had with the car and it's been there from day 1. Comes and goes, usually worst on a rough surface road. Mostly comes from the dash in front of the driver but sometimes from over the glove box. I have the upgrade interior and was told by the dealer that I needed to give them the car for 2 days to take the dash out and apply the double-sided tape to it that they forgot in the manufacturing. Lacking trust in this (!) I haven't done anything yet but the problem is annoying when present. Just slight upward or downward finger pressure on the dash stops it. Somehow, I want a permanent fix but don't want to give up the car and have them rip it apart.

Same problem. Earlier thread talked about this and I guess it gave me some comfort that it isn't just mine. Anyone actually gone to the trouble to get it fixed?

I recall the earlier thread...but don't know where it's at. Do a search on squeak or rattle or dashboard and see what you find.

Same problem, interior upgrade here too. Has been squeaking on the passenger side since the 1st week. I was hoping it would go away, but now have had the car 7 months and 4,900 miles and still there. I usually just turn up the stereo, but would like a permant fix.

I haven't heard a squeak in mine yet, but I haven't been listening for one.

My trucks have all squeaked within the first few months. Once they develop, I climb under the dash with a socket set and tighten every nut and/or bolt I can find. That usually fixes it. More room under the truck dashes, though.

Leather can squeak if you have the leather dash? try lubing it up with some fine leather care products

The covering on the dash is vinyl, not leather. You would be far better served to treat it with a clear silicone protectant than any leather conditioner. Silicone is also less likely to effect the adhesive under it keeping it flat.

I hate to say it... "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;)

Albinorhino, You dealer is WRONG! They did NOT forget to install "doublesided" tape in the manufacturing proccess. Infact, Doublesided tape is NOT used in the proccess. The problem (in most cases) is the A-pillar covers are standard units (V6/GT parts). Some trimming on them at the bottom should release the pressure causing the squeek. Ford did not want to tool up another set just for the leather brow equipped cars. And I do not blame them, It would not be worth the cost. I am sure they could of set up a jig to trim those pieces quickly, But i do not know what company supplies those a-pillar covers.

I hate to say it... "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;)

Albinorhino, You dealer is WRONG! They did NOT forget to install "doublesided" tape in the manufacturing proccess. Infact, Doublesided tape is NOT used in the proccess. The problem (in most cases) is the A-pillar covers are standard units (V6/GT parts). Some trimming on them at the bottom should release the pressure causing the squeek. Ford did not want to tool up another set just for the leather brow equipped cars. And I do not blame them, It would not be worth the cost. I am sure they could of set up a jig to trim those pieces quickly, But i do not know what company supplies those a-pillar covers.

wildo,

Do you have the IUP? Did you trim yours? Did it work?

Oh quit complaining. You don't need any warranty repairs from the dealer. Just go down to Home Depot, buy yourself a nice quality nail gun and a few 16 penny nails, and just nail that sucker down where ever it squeeks and I promise you that your dash won't make any more noises after that.

Yup, nail gun. That will do the trick.... :redcard:

Oh quit complaining. You don't need any warranty repairs from the dealer. Just go down to Home Depot, buy yourself a nice quality nail gun and a few 16 penny nails, and just nail that sucker down where ever it squeeks and I promise you that your dash won't make any more noises after that.

Yup, nail gun. That will do the trick.... :redcard:

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

That's better than the duct tape and bailing wire solution I was thinking of. :hysterical2:

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

That's better than the duct tape and bailing wire solution I was thinking of. :hysterical2:

Yea, the problem with duct tape on the dash is that the heat from the sun would seperate the glue from the cloth backing and then you would just be left with a really ugly dashboard because of tape glue residue all over it, and in the end, that sucker would still squeek.

Nails. Go with the nails.

wildo,

Do you have the IUP? Did you trim yours? Did it work?

Hell NO I did not get the IUP. I warned people here in the past about this issue. Lets just say, I have the inside scoop about the issue.

It is not any lineworkers fault. Its a design/engineering issue. Im sure the "double sided" tape is the "fix" at the dealer. Which would last longer then the methods that need to be used during assy.

..I was gonna suggest drilling some access holes and injecting some liquid nail. :banghead:

I know it is frustrating for those with dash noise; but mine is almost 3 months old with 1200 miles, and no interior noises at all.

Do you have the leather brow? IUP?

My car does not have any squeeks at all either.

Archived