TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt 500 tires on a Shelby GT

Nope. Too narrow as I recall someone telling me when I looked into it a couple years ago. When I went to those size tires, I went to GT500 wheels at the same time (and then to the KR wheels on there now).

Jim

i have been running the stock gt500 tires on my shelby gt wheels now for over 5k miles with absolutely no problems. 255 in the front and 285 in the rears. i know there is others on here doing the same thing also.

Not this again. Alright, the 285 will physically mount onto the 18x8.5 wide wheel. However, it is unsafe. Look at any tire manufacturer, or at the tire once it's mounted- and you will see why. If you want the tire to seat properly, have an even sidewall, and a flat contact patch- 255 is the widest your can go on the 18x8.5 wheel. In the old days with 14 and 15 inch wheels you could get away with stretching tires safely, but with larger wheels and shorter sidewalls these days- I would not recommend it.

SoCal is right on the money, the tire bead won't settle against the rim fully if the tire is too wide. If I had a chaulk board I could draw a nice diagram. More power to you if you have gotten away with it so far without issues.

Not this again. Alright, the 285 will physically mount onto the 18x8.5 wide wheel. However, it is unsafe. Look at any tire manufacturer, or at the tire once it's mounted- and you will see why. If you want the tire to seat properly, have an even sidewall, and a flat contact patch- 255 is the widest your can go on the 18x8.5 wheel. In the old days with 14 and 15 inch wheels you could get away with stretching tires safely, but with larger wheels and shorter sidewalls these days- I would not recommend it.

I tried 275s on the stock wheels and felt that the sidewall bulged out too much. I would definitely NOT go 285 on the stock 8.5" wheels. Just get some new wheels. You need them for good brakes anyway.

Thanks for all the good information from everbody I stopped by Weldcraft today won't be doing anything till fall said there was a 4 to 5 week turnaround time at this time of the year

Archived