TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Building up your engine

This summer I am getting ready to have some more mods done on my SGT including a supercharger. I've been reading a little about the benefits of building up your engine for durability with higher HP applications. I'm looking to get hopefully around 550 to 600 at the wheels when I'm all done with everything. Before the SC I am thinking about some cams. i already have a set of Kooks long tubes and I'm wondering what cams would get the best HP increase, and how much HP to expect. Also would the cams still be good after a SC install or would I need different ones? With building the engine, what kind of options do I have and what is the best way to go? Forged internals? Built heads? How much money would I spend with these options? I don't know much about building up an engine to handle high HP right now so I just want to get some good info before i make any decisions at all.

thanks for any help!!!

I personally think the frpp aluminator is a very nice value for a built shortblock... if you do cams, there are grinds for s/c vs. n/a cars, so while it'll probably work, you won't get the maximum benefit later.

Hmmmm.....

The factory blocks are rather strong, so if you're going to run 10+ psi with a moderate compression, you'll probably want some stronger internals. Swapping out the rods and pistons would make the bottom end stronger. I'm not sure what the factory crank is made of. Anyone know?

I would call up John at Brenspeed, tell him your power goal, and he'll recommend a blower cam, and which supercharger would work best. Plus, they can probably give you a tune that would run well with the new parts.

very true, and I like dealing with the brenspeed guys, they are freindly and seem to know thier shit!

for me, the frpp option means i can keep my frpp whipple tune since the cr is the same till i decide to push it further, and I like that. I would guess $500+ for a tuner and dyno time to tune it otherwise.

Depends on which Dyno you believe. Running 91 octane, I'm well over 500 rwhp on my tuner's dyno. However, on another dyno it made 470 rwhp. The 470 was on a Dynojet which s/b pretty repeatable on other Dynojets. Cant' remember the brand of my tuner's Dyno. It will depend on what octane you can run. I'm in California so limited to 91 when not at the track.

I personally think the frpp aluminator is a very nice value for a built shortblock... if you do cams, there are grinds for s/c vs. n/a cars, so while it'll probably work, you won't get the maximum benefit later.

+1, it's a great SB for the $. Just made 662rwhp with this SB on 93pump :happy feet:

Archived