TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DSLR Users

I am looking into getting a DSLR so I can take better quality pictures some video(but not alot) at car shows. I am just curious, what yall use? I narrowed my choice down to Nikon D3100 or Canon T2i, I might consider a Canon 60D but that is a $1000+ camera (at least what I seen at stores)

I am looking into getting a DSLR so I can take better quality pictures some video(but not alot) at car shows. I am just curious, what yall use? I narrowed my choice down to Nikon D3100 or Canon T2i, I might consider a Canon 60D but that is a $1000+ camera (at least what I seen at stores)

My wife likes to take photos so we've got a bunch of camera magazines laying around, and from what I've read the Nikon 3100 is a very good camera. Nice and light weight. For now, you'd be better off spending your money on good quality lenses than an expensive camera body. We've got a Nikon D700.

50d is great value for the money right now. sort out craigslist, ur'll find someone selling cause they lost interest or something, like only used few times. i found a 50d with kit 28-135mm for only $700 few month ago for a friend. the seller used only twice while taking a photo class but lost interest. so there are deals out there.

if u gonna go new, i go with the newest t3i.

i've had 5d, 40d, xti, and my current workhorse is a 50d. i am not a big fan buying new since every few month a newer model comes out. so i sort out deals like above mentioned.

the key to take good pics is the lens. invest in an L lens and u be set. i know its expensive but u only buy lens ONE time and not like the body.

take care, good luck buddy, if

My wife has the cannon 20D and loves it.Like every one said the leans makes the differences.And we just bought a sony digital handy cam it records it full 1080 HD

and has a 80GB hard drive. It takes great videos and good still shots add fits in the palm of your hand.

First, if you have any existing 35mm lenses you want to use stick with the same manufacturer but you should check that they are compatible. For Nikon most lenses work on most of the newer bodies. I highly encourage you to get a VR (Vibration Reduction) lens.

I have a Nikon D700. I like it because of the full size sensor that is incredible in low light and all of my old lenses work.

I'm scanning all my old slides and negatives and currently working on my 1979 Grand Canyon rafting trip. Boy, slide film - both Ektachrome and Kodachrome - on an old mechanical F2 sure turned out good.

Look at the Sony A33 and A55. I just bought the A55. They both can take broadcast quality video. One of the reasons I bought the A55 is that it will auto focus while shooting video, the other brands can not. The A33 & A55 use translucent mirror technology which allows the camera to auto focus while shooting video. The camera is great and has gotten outstanding reviews.

if u gonna go new, i go with the newest t3i.

I been reading reports/reviews, most of say it says when it compared t2i to t3i, the reviews are in t2i favors, although the swing out display screen is nice on the t3i, but it is not a big need for me

If you buy a DSLR at the store it will come with a lens. It'll probably be some kind of short to medium zoom. It'll be auto-focus too. That will do all you need for you to learn about the camera.

This will be true no matter what brand of camera you buy.

If you don't have any lenses then they will all be similar in features and cost. But you will be starting the lens lineage - once you choose you'll be locked to the brand for life. I'm a Nikon fan and have been since the 70's. Their lenses have great optics.

as u are new to dslr, get a decent overall lens to start. most kit lens are the lowest grade. i personally would prefer buying the body and lens separately. once you get a good feel with that set up then u can upgrade. just like mods, u always gonna want a better lens after lens lol.

btw yeah not to much difference on the t2 and t3 but i was just saying if u gonna buy new in general, go with the newest one out there thats all. i have few friends with nikon d90's and they love it. so can't go wrong with either brand (canon or nikon).

Pick the cameras that have the features and specs you are looking for in your price range, then go to the store and hold them. Play with all the controls. The one that feels the best is the one you should get. All of the cameras are so good these days it's unlikely you'll notice any difference in the photos (especially with decent glass).

If you're used to a point-and-shoot then the size of the screen on the back will matter. If you treat it (like I do) as a 35mm camera, then it won't matter if you have a screen or not (nor what size it is) as you won't look at it (very often). You compose all of your pictures in the viewfinder not on the screen. As you become more familiar with exposure controls you won't even review the results. I turn mine off most of the time.

Archived