TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do any of you have trailers to tow your shelby?

Jimbola23

Do any of you have a good trailer that you use to tow your shelby and possibly other things like a motorcycle? Dual axle with brakes etc. I am asking for companies who make them and where they sell them.

Thanks guys

Jimmy

2011 Shelby SVT PP

Your local trailer store should be able to set you up. If you have the $$$ then get an aluminum model with a front faring to keep your Shelby clean of rocks and road debris.

http://www.mheby.com/flatbed/bumper-pull-car-hauler.php

carHauler.jpg

Featherlite with tire rack and rock guard

IMG_25511204319603.jpg

airdam_1.jpg

http://www.hayestrailersales.com/products/trailers/open-aluminum-car-trailer.shtml

aluminum%20car%20trailer%20004.jpg

all-136-Custom-Mobile.jpg

Or you can buy a traditional used car trailer off craigslist like I did. I built the faring the night before I went to take delivery of my 2011 in about an hour with stuff laying around the house. It was definitely get er done and it worked great on the 400 mile return trip.

P1020007.jpg

P1020005.jpg

So how do you propose I get all my gear to the drag strip? Can the drag tires fit in the trunk or back seat? Where will I put the wife and all the camping gear? If you have nothing useful to add please do not waste my time or yours.

@ Bigdan - Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

@bpmurr/09KR0058 I hope someone does your thinking for you...

Jimmy

2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP

I have a 28 foot MTI V nose trailer. Fits car and has about 10 feet up front perfect for 2 bikes or whatever. Tandem axle with electric brakes. 4 dorrs for great access everywhere. If you give me your e-mail I can send you pics. Cost me $8K. I tow it with my F150.

So how do you propose I get all my gear to the drag strip? Can the drag tires fit in the trunk or back seat? Where will I put the wife and all the camping gear? If you have nothing useful to add please do not waste my time or yours.

Jimmy

2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP

Camping gear?? WTF?? Lol

Are you going racing or camping?

Your car is a street car not a gutted out, non-street legal race car. Drive it and have the wife follow you in a second vehicle with your camping gear. You'd be surprised at how much stuff can fit in the back of your car with the rear seat down. Oh and shouldn't your wife be riding up front with you? You make it sound like she needs to ride in the trailer, maybe she's a rather large woman. Lol

I know several guys that drive their 9 sec 1/4 mile cars to the track. Honestly most people find it laughable when a guy trailers a street car to the track. Especially when the trailered car gets its doors blown off by a car that was driven to the track. :shift:

Jimmy

2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP

No need to get nasty here. You made no mention of the purpose of the trailer.

So many other things I could say, but I just don't have the time to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

I have a 28 foot MTI V nose trailer. Fits car and has about 10 feet up front perfect for 2 bikes or whatever. Tandem axle with electric brakes. 4 dorrs for great access everywhere. If you give me your e-mail I can send you pics. Cost me $8K. I tow it with my F150.

Jimbola23@hotmail.com

Thanks!

I find trailering my Shelby results in much better gas mileage but I don't benefit from all the mods.....

If I had a trailer I'd be off to Florida or LV for the more expensive mods. Best I not have one.

Do any of you have a good trailer that you use to tow your shelby and possibly other things like a motorcycle? Dual axle with brakes etc. I am asking for companies who make them and where they sell them.

Thanks guys

Jimmy

2011 Shelby SVT PP

I have had this trailer for 10 years...moved alot of cars around in comfort and safety

post-28316-0-66395800-1302655630_thumb.jpg

post-28316-0-66395800-1302655630_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy

2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP

Someone on another post/forum talked about a GT500 w/trailer hitch and utility trailer for track use. When I go to the track, I install the DRs and drive it there. A trailer of some type or a chase vehicle would be nice. :shift:

Ain't it terrific how some people's insight is SO keen as to know what you both want AND need? banghead.gif

I've been looking also. For me, I want to be able to tow it behind an Explorer - which means keeping the total weight below 5,000 lbs. Aluminum is about your only option to keep the combined weight below 5K without fudging. I've seen prices in the $5K - $7K range for some nice examples. I'd definitely recommend a front fairing to protect the car in-transit, and as convenient mounting points for second wheel sets/supplies/etc.

Like you, I don't cotton to rolling-up a few thousand more miles on the odometer that AREN'T necessarily the most fun kind - particularly with $4/gal gas being a new norm.

I'd also considered an F-150 or even a Ranger to do the hauling for me - which could up the baseline to $17K, but neither would be half as practical as something like an Explorer which could also see double duty as my daily driver - although I'd have to give-up my SHO for it. I'd also considered an Explorer Sport Trac, which was an absolutely dandy form factor for this kind of towing, but there aren't enough new examples left now that it's been discontinued after MY 2010. It's too bad they didn't decide to extend production for just one more year - dropping-in a Coyote V8 rather than the 4.6 V8 as a swan song.

As for particular examples, most are going to be made in the Elkhart area and shipped to wherever you happen to be - though a handful of makers exist elsewhere, particularly west of the Rockies. Google is going to be your best resource there, I think.

Best of luck!

I used to drive my car to the track and have someone else follow me in another vehicle with Bogarts and slicks, tools, race fuel, etc. It was a lot of work switching everything out when I got to the track. Then it was a lot of work switching everything out again before driving the car home. One time I even had the staff at the track turn off the lights because they were tired of waiting on me to switch everything out and I had to finish in the dark with just a flashlight. With the trailer, I can haul the car to the track ready to race. It gives me time to make more passes, plus it gives me the peace of mind that if something on the car breaks, I will still have a way to get myself and the car home.

I haven't learned how to post pictures here so I can't show you my trailer. Interstate makes a great trailer for your car and they are not prices out of the world like some of the alumn ones. I have a 24x8.5 enclosed trailer that works great. I only use it about three times a year for special trips. It works very nice. Only thing I didn't get was the escape door on the drivers side. I have a hard time getting in and out of the car once it's in the trailer. Good luck in finding the right trailer for you.

Archived