TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oh, it's on and stoppin'!!

07SGT5687

Finally got the Baers installed last weekend. Front and Rear. Still taking it easy to mind the "break in" period recommended by Baer. 5-6 days of "gentle" driving... not sure I remember what that is like, but I'll have to try.

And speed bleeders ARE the S*&T! They made on-man bleeding a breeze. And the sealer that they come coated with made for a great seal with no leaks that I've read some are experiencing. Used the Russell speed bleeders as they are the closest length to the OEM Baer bleeders. Buzzed about 2mm off the end to mimic the OEM ones as well, just like Jer recommended.

One question though. Looks like the rear rotors are taking on a lot of pad deposit. Is that just from inferior pads? Or is something else going on that I should be worried about?

Here are some pics of the fronts, rears and car as a whole.

52097c23.jpg1d6f77ae.jpgDSC00662.jpgDSC00659.jpg

The rear pads dont look bedded in yet and it seems that youre not hitting most of the rotor surface. I would try to get some nice heated stops otherwise you could have some oil contamination on the pads.

They aren't bedded in yet... like I said, Baer says to drive on them "gently" for 5-6 days before you go through the bedding and rotors seasoning process. But that happened within about 10 miles of "gentle" driving on Sunday.

6000008.pdf

6000008.pdf

It seemed like you were asking for opinions, so I gave one- that's all.

Thats cool, and I apprecaite it. Just concurring with you that they are not in fact bedded in as that was after about 5 miles of driving and Baer says not to start the bedding process until after 5-6 days of gentle driving so as to heat cycle the rotors first. Not sure how necessary that all is, but I'm inclined to follow it and see what happens.

And apparently I just got "bumped" from NASA racing at PPIR this weekend, so no rush on getting them seasoned/bedded before the weekend.... :rant2::redcard::angry22::censored::banghead:

Wow, 5-6 days of driving. There's no way that would work in CA, lol. I might get half a day until having to stomp on them. You're right though, for doing the procedure as directed. As a general rule at the dealer I used to work at, I would do 5 slow stops from 25 mph, than 3 moderate stops from 50 mph, and finally 2 hard stops from 70 mph. But, then again, I only had a short time to work on the car, and had to make sure the car would stop adequately.

All the best! Be sure to take pictures or videos of your racing excursions.

Wow, 5-6 days of driving. There's no way that would work in CA, lol. I might get half a day until having to stomp on them. You're right though, for doing the procedure as directed. As a general rule at the dealer I used to work at, I would do 5 slow stops from 25 mph, than 3 moderate stops from 50 mph, and finally 2 hard stops from 70 mph. But, then again, I only had a short time to work on the car, and had to make sure the car would stop adequately.

Good to know. That sounds pretty much like what Baer said... only their proceedure seems a bit more complicated... involves putting a freeway jaunt in between each of the steps to cool down or heat cycle the rotors/pads. I'm sure your system works just as good though.

As for videos of racing... I JUST bought and rush shipped a GoPro HD to get here by Friday for NASA at Pikes Peak this Saturday... then NASA just emails me and says, Sorry... we made a mistake and we're full. Please come again... in OCTOBER. :rant2: Bummer. Maybe I'll have to finally attend one of those SBC morning meets Saturday... I sure would have rather been racin' though.

Finally got the Baers installed last weekend. Front and Rear. Still taking it easy to mind the "break in" period recommended by Baer. 5-6 days of "gentle" driving... not sure I remember what that is like, but I'll have to try.

And speed bleeders ARE the S*&T! They made on-man bleeding a breeze. And the sealer that they come coated with made for a great seal with no leaks that I've read some are experiencing. Used the Russell speed bleeders as they are the closest length to the OEM Baer bleeders. Buzzed about 2mm off the end to mimic the OEM ones as well, just like Jer recommended.

One question though. Looks like the rear rotors are taking on a lot of pad deposit. Is that just from inferior pads? Or is something else going on that I should be worried about?

Nice work and speed bleeders also save a lot on cash compared to bleeder kits

As far as the rear pad to rotor I can't really the width of the rear pads but if look you can see the pad to rotor is off look at the outer most holes you can see its off center when turning. For safety and the hell of it pull the back wheels and make sure nothing get cock eyed. I know when my rear pads were swapped out and turning in the piston it was didn't sit flush in the caliper. I spun it back out then back in and it was flush.

I'm sure Jer will back me on this !!! :yup:

And DON'T SET the parking brake after bedding-in the pads or ever at the track... Nice Setup!

And DON'T SET the parking brake after bedding-in the pads or ever at the track...

:headscratch: Heh? What can the cable snap or stretch when hot or something? I think I might have already gone there. After High Plains, my lever is A LOT "free'er". Hopefully I can tighten it back up.

EDIT: simulpost with SOCAL... oh I see... makes sense I guess. I know I used it at HPR< but all those rotors are gone now! I'll be sure to remember that. Might have to tape my e-brake just to make sure I remember. :confused:

:headscratch: Heh? What can the cable snap or stretch when hot or something? I think I might have already gone there. After High Plains, my lever is A LOT "free'er". Hopefully I can tighten it back up.

Because of the excess heat, pads will seat directly into the surface of the rotors... And as mentioned above, they can cause cracks or warpage... Worst case scenerio after a long, hard session on the track is pads virtually welded to the surface of the rotors :banghead:

<snip>... Friday for NASA at Pikes Peak this Saturday...

<SNIP>...Maybe I'll have to finally attend one of those SBC morning meets Saturday... I sure would have rather been racin' though.

PPIR this Sat.? Hmm, that might be something to go observe.

My © SBC trip will depend on if I have my car done by then or not and with the cold weather coming in, it will be CLOSE. I have a feeling I might be finishing it up on Saturday. If I get 'er done, I'm hoping to get up to "Wings" for the CSBC meet. That'd be a nice shake-down cruise.

Problem is: Tonight I have my bowling league (last week out of 33 weeks) and on "bowling day" I don't do much physical or I won't be able to bowl (bad back, 7 surgeries). So today is pretty much shot. Then tomorrrow I have a Board meeting to attend at 6 pm so I can get a LITTLE done without killing myself. Sitting in a chair listening/speaking to 4 other goofs isn't too hard to do after a hard day under the car.

That leaves me with all day Friday to get the car finished up, which MIGHT be do-able. I have the FR3 kit pretty much all installed and I'm working on installing the front Baers. I just ran into a slight problem with the caliper mounting bolts being a tad long so I have to pull them back out and go find some washers, then reinstall and bleed them. Finish up the rear with a pinion angle adjustment and a full "bolt check", plus cinching up the UCA after pinion adjustment. Then I need to take two turns out of the MGW shifter and torque all of the Shelby K-member bolts...oh, and I need to pull the steering rack bolts and put them in from the top instead of the bottom like I have now but that means lifting the engine a bunch.

Then align the car (I will do the initial alignment, a shop will finalize it).

So like I say...it will be CLOSE.

If I can't make the SBC meet on Saturday maybe I'll head down to PPIR and watch the class. I'm on the South end of town (Soaring Eagles sub-division) so the track is *real* close to me. I'm at exit 135 or 138, depending on which way you're headed.

Maybe I'll see ya, maybe I won't,

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue GT500 with White OTT's & Red accent stripes

PPIR this Sat.? Hmm, that might be something to go observe.

My © SBC trip will depend on if I have my car done by then or not and with the cold weather coming in, it will be CLOSE. I have a feeling I might be finishing it up on Saturday. If I get 'er done, I'm hoping to get up to "Wings" for the CSBC meet. That'd be a nice shake-down cruise.

Problem is: Tonight I have my bowling league (last week out of 33 weeks) and on "bowling day" I don't do much physical or I won't be able to bowl (bad back, 7 surgeries). So today is pretty much shot. Then tomorrrow I have a Board meeting to attend at 6 pm so I can get a LITTLE done without killing myself. Sitting in a chair listening/speaking to 4 other goofs isn't too hard to do after a hard day under the car.

That leaves me with all day Friday to get the car finished up, which MIGHT be do-able. I have the FR3 kit pretty much all installed and I'm working on installing the front Baers. I just ran into a slight problem with the caliper mounting bolts being a tad long so I have to pull them back out and go find some washers, then reinstall and bleed them. Finish up the rear with a pinion angle adjustment and a full "bolt check", plus cinching up the UCA after pinion adjustment. Then I need to take two turns out of the MGW shifter and torque all of the Shelby K-member bolts...oh, and I need to pull the steering rack bolts and put them in from the top instead of the bottom like I have now but that means lifting the engine a bunch.

Then align the car (I will do the initial alignment, a shop will finalize it).

So like I say...it will be CLOSE.

If I can't make the SBC meet on Saturday maybe I'll head down to PPIR and watch the class. I'm on the South end of town (Soaring Eagles sub-division) so the track is *real* close to me. I'm at exit 135 or 138, depending on which way you're headed.

Maybe I'll see ya, maybe I won't,

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue GT500 with White OTT's & Red accent stripes

Well, if you make it to PPIR, you won't see me. Got a message yesterday afternoon that I apparently got bumped so no racing for me this weekend.

On the note of your front Baer install, my mounting bolts were long too and I came to find out that's what the supplied washers are for. To stagger the bolt depth back to the bracket. You should have received a plastic back with the cable clips, bleeder caps and 4 washers... ring a bell?

On the note of your front Baer install, my mounting bolts were long too and I came to find out that's what the supplied washers are for. To stagger the bolt depth back to the bracket. You should have received a plastic back with the cable clips, bleeder caps and 4 washers... ring a bell?

No, mine was missing parts. I bought them from a TS member who bought them from another TS member so somewhere down the line, parts (and the Instructions) were removed. I called Baer and got the bag with the two brake line mounting brackets and keepers in it but didn't know about the washers or cable clips. The bleeder caps were on the bleeders but I have a bunch of extras anyway so that didn't matter. I can make my own hose clips but the brackets were something I HAD to get from Baer.

I found the instruction sheet attached to a e-mail Baer sent me so I'm good there and sure enough, it says to put the two washers behind the mounting bolts.

So, off to ACE Hardware I go.

Did they look like anything special or are they just flat washers (I think the Inst. says they're "colored" so I assume Cad/gold colored)?

Thanks,

Phill

Did they look like anything special or are they just flat washers (I think the Inst. says they're "colored" so I assume Cad/gold colored)?

I don't think they were anything special, but yes, they were a gold color. I can climb under and measure when I get home, but my guess is they were about 1/8" thick or maybe 3/16"... my guess would be 1/8" though.

Ok you two come on out to Wings and show off al that new stuff and let others see all that bling your adding!!!! I won't be able to do any racing this summer it looks like so it will be another year before I will get involved........look forward to seeing you Saturday

Mick

I don't think they were anything special, but yes, they were a gold color. I can climb under and measure when I get home, but my guess is they were about 1/8" thick or maybe 3/16"... my guess would be 1/8" though.

Are you guys talking about the copper washers that go between the caliper and brake fitting? If so, they are a special type of crush seal.

I just ran into a slight problem with the caliper mounting bolts being a tad long so I have to pull them back out and go find some washers, then reinstall and bleed them.

Are you guys talking about the copper washers that go between the caliper and brake fitting? If so, they are a special type of crush seal.

No he's talking about the washers for the caliper mounting bolts.

I stopped by ACE on the way to bowling last night and picked up four galvanized flat washers. I went through the bin and picked the four thickest washers in it. They should do the trick and if not, I can shave a TAD off of the end of the bolt.

I'm about to head out to the garage (it's still in the low 40's down here in The Springs) and try them out but I'm pretty secure that they'll work.

Odd thing on my brakes....I got a package with the two banjo bolts and four copper crush washers....but there are also two new banjo bolts screwed into the calipers. Did everyone else get the same thing? I was thinking that maybe they just screwed in a couple of extra banjo bolts to protect the threads and plug the hole for transport...

Anyone else?

Thanks for all the help, now it's back to the Salt Mine,

Phill Pollard

Ok you two come on out to Wings and show off al that new stuff and let others see all that bling your adding!!!! I won't be able to do any racing this summer it looks like so it will be another year before I will get involved........look forward to seeing you Saturday

Mick

I'm hoping Mick, I'm hoping. I have my fingers, toes and arms crossed.

I've yet to make a CSBC meet and Hawkbarr is on the invite as a "Yes" so I want to get down there to meet him (we "talk" a lot on-line) as well.

It's just a matter of how much I can get done in very little time. And it ain't gonna get done with me sitting on this stupid computer talking about it!

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go,

Phill Pollard

Odd thing on my brakes....I got a package with the two banjo bolts and four copper crush washers....but there are also two new banjo bolts screwed into the calipers. Did everyone else get the same thing? I was thinking that maybe they just screwed in a couple of extra banjo bolts to protect the threads and plug the hole for transport...

Mine came with plastic plugs in the hole and the bolts/copper washers in a plastic bag. Only the one set.

Now get the rear caliper covers installed and be hooked up.... :bandance:

DSC02484.JPG

DSC02486.JPG

DSC02489.JPG

DSC02484.JPG

DSC02486.JPG

DSC02489.JPG

Archived