TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installed My Shelby Airbag Cover Today

10SHELBY

I installed my signed airbag cover in my 2010 GT500 with electronics package. It took a while to figure things out but below is a short write up with photos. Remember to take your time. I took me about an hour.
This is what I did, use your best judgment!
1. I unhooked both battery terminals.
2. Remove the glove box cover. 4 screws located on the bottom and wiggle the glove box out.
1.jpg
3. Unsnap the 2 rear plastic spring clips on the black module located below the air bag. I am not sure what this is however I think it may have something to do with the navigation package. Your car may or may not have it.
4. Slide the module back to release it and let it hang out of your way.

2.jpg
5. Reach in and unplug the airbag.
4. Remove the 2 bolts securing the airbag to the frame.

3.jpg
5. Push the 6 bottom clips holding the airbag cover inwards.
6. Then push the sides inwards.
7. The top is more difficult but it should come out with a little movement.
8. Apply a little force from the inside and outside, slowly pull on the cover. It should come right out.
9. Then set the cover and airbag cover on a soft surface so not to scratch it. Remove the airbag unit by prying the clips away from the cover.
10. Once you reassemble the airbag in the cover it should pop right back into the dash.

4.jpg
11. Reattach the 2 bolts that hold the cover, connect the airbag wires.
12. Slide the module in place and snap it back in place.
13. Reattach the 4 screws on the glove box.
14. Reattach the battery and that is it.

I hope this helps. Once again look at what you are doing and take your time.
Rudy

I used info I found here somewhere and it was for an earlier model. It did not work. Once I figured out I was trying to remove the wrong thing and got on track it was really easy. I am willing to talk to you voice prior to if needed.

Rudy

Rudy

PS I now have a spare airbag cover for sale if anyone is interested, PM me.

Thank you Rudy - this is just what I needed!

No problem. Please let us know if you have that black module box also. I guess I could climb in there and get the name of it but... Anyway let us know if you find it there.

Rudy

I did my 350 last Thursday.

The 2010 thru 2012 airbag covers are way easier to do than the previous generation ones I have done. Tons of room to get the airbag cover assembly out.

I installed my signed airbag cover in my 2010 GT500 with electronics package. It took a while to figure things out but below is a short write up with photos. Remember to take your time. I took me about an hour.

This is what I did, use your best judgment!

1. I unhooked both battery terminals.

2. Remove the glove box cover. 4 screws located on the bottom and wiggle the glove box out.

1.jpg

3. Unsnap the 2 rear plastic spring clips on the black module located below the air bag. I am not sure what this is however I think it may have something to do with the navigation package. Your car may or may not have it.

4. Slide the module back to release it and let it hang out of your way.

2.jpg

5. Reach in and unplug the airbag.

4. Remove the 2 bolts securing the airbag to the frame.

3.jpg

5. Push the 6 bottom clips holding the airbag cover inwards.

6. Then push the sides inwards.

7. The top is more difficult but it should come out with a little movement.

8. Apply a little force from the inside and outside, slowly pull on the cover. It should come right out.

9. Then set the cover and airbag cover on a soft surface so not to scratch it. Remove the airbag unit by prying the clips away from the cover.

10. Once you reassemble the airbag in the cover it should pop right back into the dash.

4.jpg

11. Reattach the 2 bolts that hold the cover, connect the airbag wires.

12. Slide the module in place and snap it back in place.

13. Reattach the 4 screws on the glove box.

14. Reattach the battery and that is it.

Rudy

PS I now have a spare airbag cover for sale if anyone is interested, PM me.

Good write-up. This will help quite a bit..

Thanks

Do we have to disconnect battery? What are the risks if i dont.

Well there is a lot of power in that airbag and I think it is way safer to disconnect. I did both terminals because I did not want to take the chance. I just disconnected the terminals and laid a piece of rubber on top of the battery . Then I just let the terminals rest on the rubber. Good luck! Let us know who you did.

Rudy

Well there is a lot of power in that airbag and I think it is way safer to disconnect. I did both terminals because I did not want to take the chance. I just disconnected the terminals and laid a piece of rubber on top of the battery . Then I just let the terminals rest on the rubber. Good luck! Let us know who you did.

Rudy

Got it on. Only disconnected negative. The hardest part is prying off the cover and putting the new one on. Once I realized the plastic cover is pliable I was able to bend it slightly and it went off and back on pretty easy. Took me an hour as well. Your pics came in very handy. Thanks. The unique thing about the sigs is that each one is a bit different in some sort of way.

post-24725-0-12506200-1302980313_thumb.jpg

post-24725-0-12506200-1302980313_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

one thing to note, you definitely want to disconnect at least the negative terminal and you should wait at least 10 minutes for any residual charge to dissipate

since you will be working right by the airbag if it were to go off, very dangerous!!

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Air Bag Cover to my local Ford Dealer :camera: . They installed it in ( 10 )ten minutes WITHOUT pulling the battery. You may not want to pull the battery you may lose computer information. Everybody lover the Air Bag Cover.DSCN3448.jpg

DSCN3303a.jpgIMG024a.jpg

That's awesome. I shipped mine off yesterday....can't wait to get it back!

Mi amigo...you shuld receive it soon because mine took around three weeks. I had a small problem because the half top part came a little bit bent to the right side where the GT500 is written......but I think that it won't be noticeable when is installed....Also I am thinking to have engraved the VIN # on it.

Be safe....

Do we have to disconnect battery? What are the risks if i dont.

Rudy

+10000 on waiting at least 10 minutes before removing airbag after battery disconnect. I have personally seen what these things can do and 10 minutes is a lot better than a hospital visit. Dont believe me here ya go watch this.

Thanks Rudy. Your instructions and explanation was very clear. I dd easily........

I applied a matte clear finish protector to old ma's signature. I don't want to take any risk to have it erased.. :drool:

Great looking dash. I am glad you joined the DASH club.

DSCN3448.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wish I could find an extra cover for a 12 to send off. So jealous of everyone's dash.

You always can just buy another. I pity the poor buggers who have CS autographs on their 11-12 covers - only to upgrade to a 13-14 later. I might consider just swapping out the rest of the aluminum dash trim to match.

Archived