TEAM SHELBY FORUM

White Haze around aluminum welds?

07SGT5687

So recently I've purchased the first few covers and tanks that I've owned that are made from welded aluminum. While I ordered several of these pieces from different vendors, they all did come from Moroso. So I'm curious, is this white frosty haze around all the welds normal? Just looks kinda crappy to me, but maybe... once again... my standards were artificially high. Thoughts? I might go with black powder coated equipment if this the way they are always going to look.

Again, I mean this as no reflection on the vendors I actually bought them from. In one case already, SPP jumped at the opportunity to make it right (and went far beyond what I would have considered adequate!)

DSC00544.jpgDSC00567.jpgDSC00568.jpg

DSC00543.jpg

that frosty look happens in the process of TIG welding the aluminum. the only way to get rid of it would be in the cleaning process prior to clading or the coating of the finishes product. J R is the finishes coated with a clear coat? if so it wont just come off I would think you will have to clean off the finish and then clean the metal and then re-coat, I welded for years on Aluminum and it is normal.....sorry

that frosty look happens in the process of TIG welding the aluminum. the only way to get rid of it would be in the cleaning process prior to clading or the coating of the finishes product. J R is the finishes coated with a clear coat? if so it wont just come off I would think you will have to clean off the finish and then clean the metal and then re-coat, I welded for years on Aluminum and it is normal.....sorry

Thanks Mick. I thought it might be usual. I just hadn't seen it up close and personal. Think I still might look for some black PC'd stuff though. Looks cleaner.

Archived