TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby's 6 year contract with FMCO: 2008 - 2013

Grabber

I have a feeling the GT 500 will continue....It is getting more and more popular for the money.....

I have a feeling that the 2013 will be the last year of the GT500. It will of run 7 full years by then. It is my *speculation* that SVT will be building a Cobra again. There is still a huge market of the die hard Cobra guys and I think it would be a big seller to that crowd and many others. The Shelby GT500 is a great car...but in my opinion it has run it's comeback into the ground. It's time for something new. However, every year the GT500 gets better and better and I believe the 2013 will be an awesome car and a great way to say goodbye to the GT500. Factory TVS and a 5.8 motor with 620 hp sounds pretty nice. The other reason I think the 2013 model year will be the last year of the GT500 is because the car is going to be taking on a total makeover for the 50th anniversary and I think Ford wants their name only on that milestone year car.

These are just my opinions and thoughts and I have no hard insight on these speculations.

I'll be surprised if the GT500 continues much beyond a couple of years, with gas prices continuing to increase, along with high inflation and the continuing recession. :rant2:

I would be shocked to see a 5.8. Thats an awful lot of tinkering for a 1 year run.

Pure speculation here, but a 5.8L = 351 CID...

Maybe a BOSS 351 in the future ???

But I do agree with Grabber, I think the Shelby run with Ford has run its course :shift:

And with the 50th Anniv + Model Change + EPA/CAFE Requirements + Politics + ???... I don't think we'll be seeing too many more GT500-named vehicles coming off the assembly line direct from Ford...

With the 2014 being an all new, smaller, globally sourced and designed chasis I'm not sure a 5.8 will fit. Plus with the 5.0 being Direct Inject capable I'd think Ford would be much more likely to go EcoBoost 5.0 than 5.8 TVS. You would get more HP and better fuel economy, plus it will weigh less (CAFE issues) and be a smaller engine. If all that is so, there is no way Ford would build the 5.8 for just one year.

In this economy I imagine Ford is looking to capitalize on the new 5.0 technology rather than trying to squeeze a few more HP out of the 5.4. I think the whole 5.8 thing is just rumor.

Of course I could be wrong - Chevy has a 427 in the vett and I would have never thought we'd see that again.

I think that last year of the S197 will see a 5.8, maybe even a Boss 351...but that will be it. Little Euro turbo sports cars from then on....

Let's face a few FACTS here, Carroll Shelby is getting older, EPA standards are getting ridiculous, and fuel prices are going to stay high. Moving on to conjecture, I think Ford, aka FoMoCo, would be mistaken not to keep the Shelby heritage going. Carroll Shelby said that he's interested in building smaller Shelby cars in a recent interview. So, it's very likely that we will have some sort of Shelby car for another few years, BUT it could be a lot smaller than we're used to. The next Mustang is getting smaller, and is most likely going to loose most of it's retro roots; sad, I know.

Therefore:

1) Future Shelby? Yes.

2) Future Shelby GT500? Maybe.

3) Future 5.8L V8? No.

l love to watch Top Gear and from time to time they talk about and test Hot Hatch Backs.You have this little cars putting out 170hp to 325hp.So i think it would be cool to have the big beast GT500 for the weekend and a hot Shelby Focus GT300 as a daily driver.

there is a special edition focus that ford put out in europe they only made 500 of them i think it's call the black.I think it was putting about 320hp maybe more. :yup::yup:

I have a feeling that the 2013 will be the last year of the GT500. It will of run 7 full years by then. It is my *speculation* that SVT will be building a Cobra again. There is still a huge market of the die hard Cobra guys and I think it would be a big seller to that crowd and many others. The Shelby GT500 is a great car...but in my opinion it has run it's comeback into the ground. It's time for something new. However, every year the GT500 gets better and better and I believe the 2013 will be an awesome car and a great way to say goodbye to the GT500. Factory TVS and a 5.8 motor with 620 hp sounds pretty nice. The other reason I think the 2013 model year will be the last year of the GT500 is because the car is going to be taking on a total makeover for the 50th anniversary and I think Ford wants their name only on that milestone year car.

These are just my opinions and thoughts and I have no hard insight on these speculations.

.B) my vote is to continue the shelby gt500. running in the ground was the" fox body".

haha it was supposed to be more of an exclusive car...$10-25K ADMs. I am very very happy that the Shelby GT was only a 2 year program capping out around 8000 cars total. I would HATE to see history repeat itself and be looking at several years of cars with the mustang name on it that don't deserve it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I vote to keep the Shelby/Ford name going whether it be a mustang,fiesta,or focus it better damn well back the Shelby title it comes with in horsepower or handinling. The Shelby name still commands respect,admiration, and in my world "awesomeness". It is funny that some folks are saying there are too many Shelby vehicles around, pfft.... I daily drive mine and I will say that I might see one or two Shelby vehicle a week and that is only on Sundays and BAM they are locked away till the next car show or pretty sunny day. :confused:

Here is my take on this. I am thinking some kind of big horse boss in the future, or a cobra jet. Shelby says he is out of the car business, car production that is. His parts program is very cool and you can buy a stock shelby and send it to him for mods is the way to go in the future. He tried the smaller turbo cars like the dodges and they bombed, nobody wanted them . I think he has accomplished what he wanted with SAI now and its running smooth. However, he is always thinkin of the future and a new car, and that will never change. I think that he might consider an new Cobra with ford, like the Gt 40 at some time in the future but who knows. SUDDEN.

Here is my take on this. I am thinking some kind of big horse boss in the future, or a cobra jet. Shelby says he is out of the car business, car production that is. His parts program is very cool and you can buy a stock shelby and send it to him for mods is the way to go in the future. He tried the smaller turbo cars like the dodges and they bombed, nobody wanted them . I think he has accomplished what he wanted with SAI now and its running smooth. However, he is always thinkin of the future and a new car, and that will never change. I think that he might consider an new Cobra with ford, like the Gt 40 at some time in the future but who knows. SUDDEN.

If history repeats its self guess what we will see soon...... a mustang COBRA II again :hysterical:

Archived