TEAM SHELBY FORUM

You could've bought ANY car.

sweenstang

Curious about what your reasons are for selecting a late model GT500. Here's why it was an easy choice for me:

My first car at age 17 was a '68 Mustang coupe with a 289. Loved that car. Drove it for 8 years. I restored it after I got out of college and had it in a few car shows.

So recently when I finally reached a point where I was ready to buy a toy, I considered buying a '68 Mustang or Shelby, but Ford has done such a great job recapturing the styling from the late 60's in the new models - that dashboard is so heavily influenced by the 68 styling, it was love at first sight. So when you combine the throw-back appeal, plus of course all the very latest technology and safety features, it was a no-brainer for me. Too many great features to list, but really love the glass roof option.

I've always loved muscle cars and finally have the opportunity to own one of my own. Adding all this up, the GT500 is the ultimate car for me. When the redesign came in 2010 with the improved interior, I new I had one of these cars in my future.

Last but not least - Ford really nailed the tuning on the 2011/2012 exhaust. Music to my ears!

So, what's your story?

lurk.gif

Always been a fan of mustangs, shelbys etc etc my very first car that i bought was a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 and from there had many other cars including a 2007 Corvette Z06 but when the Shelbys came out in 07 it was like wow and i knew that i'd have to have one someday and sell the Z06, dont get me wrong the Z06 is an awesome machine and all but to me my first love will always be a MUSTANG/ SHELBY

Our family has had mustangs since I was a kid. I currently have a 65 convertible 70 mach1 and I sold my 71 429cj mach 1 to get my 2011 shelby convertible.. I don't drive these cars to work but on a nice day in michigan the shelby goes every time. Having owned and worked on alot of other performnce cars I don't believe there is another car that has a better bang for the buck.. My brothers have BMW, Porsche and Corvettes... It's still the better over all car ...besides my grandsons car seat fits in the back seat and he'll think its a blast in a year or so...6months old right now....

Curious about what your reasons are for selecting a late model GT500. Here's why it was an easy choice for me:

My first car at age 17 was a '68 Mustang coupe with a 289. Loved that car. Drove it for 8 years. I restored it after I got out of college and had it in a few car shows.

So recently when I finally reached a point where I was ready to buy a toy, I considered buying a '68 Mustang or Shelby, but Ford has done such a great job recapturing the styling from the late 60's in the new models - that dashboard is so heavily influenced by the 68 styling, it was love at first sight. So when you combine the throw-back appeal, plus of course all the very latest technology and safety features, it was a no-brainer for me. Too many great features to list, but really love the glass roof option.

I've always loved muscle cars and finally have the opportunity to own one of my own. Adding all this up, the GT500 is the ultimate car for me. When the redesign came in 2010 with the improved interior, I new I had one of these cars in my future.

Last but not least - Ford really nailed the tuning on the 2011/2012 exhaust. Music to my ears!

So, what's your story?

lurk.gif

It was the summer of 1981, I had found a beautiful 1968 Shelby GT 350 mint green with white stripes, I took my father on a hour drive to look at and what I hoped to buy the car.

But as luck would have it after seeing and test driving the car my father said and I quote "it's to much car for you". And so the drive home was quiet and the dream would have to be put on hold. Well 29 years almost to the day, The dream came true. Life has funny way of working out. As time went on the car of my dreams got further and further away due to the price they were commanding, then Ford and Shelby decide to get together make them again!!!!!!! Totally cool, Love this car!

I'm a bowtie man and this is my first Mustang. I have had a few fords in my day, but generally it's been GM most of my life. I traded in a 2010 Camaro SS for the GT 500. I wanted something different and I really like the design of the Mustangs since 05. I think that Ford did a great job on them. I had thought about a ZL1 in 12, but after reading about them they don't have the set up like Ford does and the 5.4 is much stronger than the 6.2 Camaro. You can do so much to the 5.4 to boost the HP and it's a beast right out of the box with the 550 HP.

The only draw back with the Mustang is the cabin isn't as large as the Camaro. There isn't the room in the front seat area. The roof is a little taller and easier to get in and out of. I like the seats, dash and the over all look of the interior. I love the car from the front. It just looks killer. The Shelby is just a better looking car than the regular GT.

I do think that I'm going to like the Mustang GT 500 better than I did the Camaro. Time will tell and if not I'll go back to the ZL1 after a year or two. Just wish the car would hurry up and get here.

I've wanted a Shelby ever since I saw my first one back in 75' during a local 4th of July parade. It was a forest green with white stripes 68 convertible. Granted, the two hot bikini chicks sitting on the rear deck didn't hurt. 30 years later and I hear that Shelby's name partnering with Ford again. Thoughts of actually owning one drove me crazy :angry22: and once the ADM's played out, I got in line and ordered one.

For the $22,000 hand built fully forged 550hp dohc supercharged 5.4L V8 and attached drive train which if capable of insane amounts of power in stock form, just add boost and fuel and you could have 1,000hp, it just so happens to have slick sheet metal around it and that's just icing on the cake.

I grew up a GM muscle car guy and had a 67 Camaro when I was 18 in 1998 and it was a looker and was running mid 12's. I was looking at getting a new SS but was really un-impressed with the whole package and knew it would take $15k at least in aftermaket parts and labor to be happy with it. Then I found out GT500's could run 10's with a pulley and stickies and could make 800hp with a $4k blower upgrade I was sold. Everything else about it like pulling 1g is gravy.

I'm a Ford man, my new daily driver is a F350... and have been driving F250’s for many years now. I never owned a Mustang prior to my 2010 Shelby. I first fell in love w/ the looks and HP as well as the name on the car! It was the perfect sports car/ muscle car that I could enjoy w/ my family. I'm now enjoying my 2011 SVT more than any sports car I've owned and there has been quite a few!

I'm 64 years old, and as a starving college student back in the late '60s could only dream about the GT350s & 500s one occasionally saw in showrooms.

It was very kind of Mr. Shelby to hang around and do it all over again when I could finally afford one. :)

Thanks too to Jerry Bruckheimer and Eleanor for doing for Shelby Mustangs what Star Wars did for science fiction. :burnout:

One of the 1967 Shelby ads commented of the GT350/500: "America's answer to Europe's finest GT cars." Let's put it this way: After buying my 2011 GT500, I sold my 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage. These current Shelbys are just stunningly good, especially for the price.

I'm 64 years old, and as a starving college student back in the late '60s could only dream about the GT350s & 500s one occasionally saw in showrooms.

It was very kind of Mr. Shelby to hang around and do it all over again when I could finally afford one. :)

Thanks too to Jerry Bruckheimer and Eleanor for doing for Shelby Mustangs what Star Wars did for science fiction. :burnout:

One of the 1967 Shelby ads commented of the GT350/500: "America's answer to Europe's finest GT cars." Let's put it this way: After buying my 2011 GT500, I sold my 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage. These current Shelbys are just stunningly good, especially for the price.

That's amazing that you sold your 09 Aston Martin , cause that's one great looking car. May I ask why ?

I've probably owned 40 cars over the past 35 years and bought my first, a1969 Ford Marquis working all summer when I was 15 and had to wait a year to drive it.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned several GM, Dodge and import vehicles as well like Z28, Firebird Formula, Trans-AM, Challenger, Road Runner all of the older vintage, some new sports imports some land cruisers and even a couple of mini-vans but I always get drawn back to Ford.

Currently I have a1996 Mustang vert that has never seen winter and hasn't even been driven in probably 5 years, the 2006 CS6 Mustang s/c vert that has truly become a garage queen, the 2010 Gt-500 that I drive every chance I can in the good months and a 2011 F150 5.0 that is my daily driver.

I think Ford still offers the best bang for the buck regardless of vehicle class and they have current appointments and styling and their performance offerings are through the roof.

I am now exclusively a Blue Oval guy.

Had an option in the late 60's to purchase a Camaro or Mustang!! Due to the fact that my purchase was a '68 Camaro SS 396 (375HP),I really had my eye on a Shelby.It was about 3 thou more than the Camaro and put it out of reach for me as a soph at the Univ of Miami (Fla). I always regretted that decision and as the years went by I had that dream in the back of my mind!!!!!! With a 16 yo son falling in love with the "11 Shelby, it was a "no brainer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper2:

That's amazing that you sold your 09 Aston Martin , cause that's one great looking car. May I ask why ?

After I bought the 2011 Shelby, I found out that I preferred to drive it: More power, more comfort, better vision, better sound [with the FRPP Touring catbacks], more advanced electronics, smoother transmission, more cabin room, more trunk space. Not to mention that the Aston cost three times the price of the Shelby. Indeed I think that if you drove the top Aston (the DBS) and then the 2011 Shelby, you'd surprise yourself and like the Shelby better. [And the DBS costs 5-6x the price of the Shelby.]

The Shelby's shortcomings in my opinion were that low/manual passenger seat and the absence of front/rear parking sensors [since it's difficult to see over that big nose and spoilered ass]. Added Ford's power passenger seat mechanicals to fix the former, and a Steelmate F/R sensor system to fix the latter.

Many European exotics have a lot of historical/mythical glamor, but when you actually live with them, it frequently evaporates, though many owners who've paid several hundred thousand dollars for a car aren't in a hurry to say that a $50K Shelby Mustang does a better job. ;)

Right now the only exotic that I think compares all-around with the current GT500 is the Maserati GranTurismo-S. And there you're looking at a car about 2-1/2x the Shelby's price, with an automatic.

I don't care for Japanese cars, and I don't think Porsches & Audis are a comparable design comparison. [A Mercedes AMG coupé might be, but I haven't looked at them recently.] There you start getting into small sportscars, and I suspect the next superstar there is going to be the new Lotus Esprit.

Since I live in San Francisco with its cramped on-street parking spaces, what I really want Mr. Shelby to do is to produce a Shelbyized SmartCar ... ;)

After I bought the 2011 Shelby, I found out that I preferred to drive it: More power, more comfort, better vision, better sound [with the FRPP Touring catbacks], more advanced electronics, smoother transmission, more cabin room, more trunk space. Not to mention that the Aston cost three times the price of the Shelby. Indeed I think that if you drove the top Aston (the DBS) and then the 2011 Shelby, you'd surprise yourself and like the Shelby better. [And the DBS costs 5-6x the price of the Shelby.]

The Shelby's shortcomings in my opinion were that low/manual passenger seat and the absence of front/rear parking sensors [since it's difficult to see over that big nose and spoilered ass]. Added Ford's power passenger seat mechanicals to fix the former, and a Steelmate F/R sensor system to fix the latter.

Many European exotics have a lot of historical/mythical glamor, but when you actually live with them, it frequently evaporates, though many owners who've paid several hundred thousand dollars for a car aren't in a hurry to say that a $50K Shelby Mustang does a better job. ;)

Right now the only exotic that I think compares all-around with the current GT500 is the Maserati GranTurismo-S. And there you're looking at a car about 2-1/2x the Shelby's price, with an automatic.

I don't care for Japanese cars, and I don't think Porsches & Audis are a comparable design comparison. [A Mercedes AMG coupé might be, but I haven't looked at them recently.] There you start getting into small sportscars, and I suspect the next superstar there is going to be the new Lotus Esprit.

Since I live in San Francisco with its cramped on-street parking spaces, what I really want Mr. Shelby to do is to produce a Shelbyized SmartCar ... ;)

I'm hoping and waiting for a new Tiger! :lurk:

Ever since I was a kid I aways had a thing for Mustangs. By the time I was 19 (fall of 1982) I owned 3. A midnight blue 1966 fastback 289 4bbl auto, a maroon 1968 fastback 289 2bbl auto and my first true muscle Mustang a royal maroon 1969 Q-code, numbers matching Mach I 428 CJ 4 spd. I owned my Mach I for 13 yrs and at times still regret selling it. In 1984 I missed out on a nice 1967 GT500 due to a shortage of funds (I was about $4k short) the car sold for $11,500. In 2007 I supercharged my 2006 Mustang GT and sold that car in 2009 in preparation for a major move to the west coast. We had planned on only having one car out here (our 2010 GT convertible) but 2 months after we moved here I drove a 2010 GT500 and was hooked. I drove it home later that night. Here's pic from 1982 of the driveway and garage of my Mom's condo and a video clip of my Mach I.

My Mach I

666869.jpg

Here's a list of Ford cars I have owned since 1980

1) 1966 Shelby GT350

2) 1969 Shelby GT350

3) 1970 Shelby GT500

4) 2003 Mustang Cobra

5) 2 1970 Boss 302's

6) 2007 SGT

7) 2007 Shelby GT500

8) 2005 Ford GT

You can see I have been bitten by the Shelby snake years ago !!! Now I have a 2011 GT500.

What do you think of the 07-09 Jaguar XKR conv ?

I remember in 1967 when I was in the service and I saw a GT350 in El Paso, TX. It was so sweet looking and I wanted it so bad. Problem being I wasn't sure where I would end up after I got out of boot camp. I always love the looks of the first few years of the Mustang. An ole Army buddy had a 1965 2+2 with the pony option and it had the 271hp 289. Love to ride in that car.

I can't hardly wait untill the new gets here. It's going to be so sweet. I want to walk up and put my arms around her.

I'm hoping and waiting for a new Tiger! :lurk:

My college roommate in 1966-7 had a Tiger. I had no idea at the time that it was a Shelby stepchild; I just remember that it was a blast to drive, particularly compared to the anemic MGBs and TR6s gasping around.

Hmm, "SmartCar Tiger"? :idea:

What do you think of the 07-09 Jaguar XKR conv ?

I had one of the coupés for about a year, and it was an altogether nice car. "Quiet/smooth fast", not an adrenalin rush like the GT500, and not as decadent as the Maserati GranTurismo. Jag doesn't believe in a vulgar display of engine/exhaust noise the way Shelby & Maserati do. :D

Most people don't realize it, but when Ford bought Jaguar and Aston Martin, it got rid of their obsolete engines. The current Jag V8 is a modification of that Ford V8 you saw in the retro Thunderbird, with tweaks and new cam covers. Then the same engine was tweaked again, with more new cam covers, for the 4.3 Aston Martin, and finally expanded to the current 4.7. Aston's current V12 started out as a couple of Ford Duratec V6s glued together. Nothing wrong with any of this; Ford makes good engines.

My favorite Aston engine is the blown I6 in the 1997-8 DB7. It was a small Jaguar unit, but it sounded very "old British" like Sean Connery's DB5, and the blower got it going reasonably briskly. But by Ford standards it was an obsolete engine.

Am waiting with great interest to see what kind of V8 Lotus puts in the new Esprit. I am a bit bored by Loti with Toyota sewing-machine engines. :glare:

I've had mostly Chevys (except for a 350Z, 96 Supra with a 100 shot) for sports type cars in the past, starting off with a 69 Z28 at age 13 (that didn't run and cost $900.00). My last was an 08 C6 Z06, at the same time my father bought a 09 ZR1. Bottom line, the GT500 is the best looking car for under 100k and by far the best value for the dollar when considering performance & looks. What else can be completely transformed for a few grand and takes mods so easily?

New here and this is my first post. Back in 1971, my first car was a 68 Mustang , 289 with the 500 holley and automatic. In our measured off 1/4 mile (from the intersection to the bridge), I could get 88 miles/hour. Nobody cared how long it took to get there. Had a chance to buy a 68 Shelby GT350, but working part time at 1.60/hr. I just couldn't swing it. Moved up to a 72 Thunderbird, got married, had kids, houses, kids to college, etc. Now the kids are gone and I've entered my second childhood. I've been drooling over the Mustangs for the last 10 years, driving the wife nuts. One night my daughter tells me she can no longer keep a secret, and tells me mom wants to surprise me with a new Mustang for my 60th birthday, which is still a few years away. Well, I can't keep a secret that I know my wife's secret, so I give her my build sheet from Ford, which I always kept up to date. In the mean time, my dad tells me his favorite Ford dealer has two Shelbys on the lot and that he is willing to deal. My wife says we should take a look, and the kids all say "go for the Shelby" over a regular Mustang. So to make this long story a little shorter, the dealer gave me a really good price on the 2010, (it's a left over), and happened to be in my color, Torch Red, so we brought her home. Bad news is that I've now become obsessed with it. I've got a wish list made up and for some reason, it continues to grow almost daily. And then there's these forums. So much to read, learn, etc. And, I've always been a Ford guy, ever since the Mustang.

-540 (now 660) HP for under 50k. There's no better value anywhere.

-There's not one on every corner.

-The LOOKS and COMMENTS. Priceless.

I too really like driving a car that is not commonly seen. I live east of DC in Maryland, in a town that's about 50,000 people, and over the past couple of years, I've only seen 3 late-model Shelbys on the road, and one came from out of town for a gathering of the Asphalt Angels car club. Lets face it, Mustangs are cool, but Shelbys have an unbeatable "WOW" factor to them. drool.gif

Great posts by everyone - thanks for your replies. beerchug.gif

Hope the stories keep coming.

Sween

Archived