TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coming out of hibernation

rba44

Hey All,

This is the first car I have ever stored for winter. I read up when doing it and followed all steps. My question is I have put maybe 10 miles on the car since the pre storage oil change. Do I need to change the oil again before driving it? not sure if the oil breaks down over time? Any help appreciated

Hey All,

This is the first car I have ever stored for winter. I read up when doing it and followed all steps. My question is I have put maybe 10 miles on the car since the pre storage oil change. Do I need to change the oil again before driving it? not sure if the oil breaks down over time? Any help appreciated

Actually its both--oil will degrade over time,as well as miles driven---so to be safe id use the manual guidelines.For me, i have several cars that use synthetic oils that are driven less than 5,000 miles /yr--i change them once a year,including the Shelby

Hey All,

Good morning

I don't pick my GT500 up until Tuesday. Storing it isn't an issue yet.

However, I have been storing a 2002 and 2007 corvettes and the oil gets change before storage and I'm good to go thru the summer. I do not change the oil when the cars come out.

That is how I plan the oil changes on the Shelby also.

thats my $.02 worth.

Frank A.

Good morning

However, I have been storing a 2002 and 2007 corvettes and the oil gets change before storage and I'm good to go thru the summer. I do not change the oil when the cars come out.

thats my $.02 worth.

Frank A.

Thats what i did each year on my 97 Cobra until i traded it on the Shelby . No harm ( as far as i know ) done to the Cobra .

Good morning

thats my $.02 worth.

Frank A.

+1

Its full synthetic, it will be fine.....I do what this dude does, only the oppisite way....

I put about 3000 miles on a year and change it once a year, but I change it when it comes out of hibernation not before......

Edited by Cobras55

It depends on how long it was stored (?).

If you've had it sitting in the garage for longer than six months I would encourage a fresh oil change. Like one member said, it's a cheap precaution to take considering how costly engine repairs can be.

That said, it really is entirely up to you. :shrug:

It depends on how long it was stored (?).

If you've had it sitting in the garage for longer than six months I would encourage a fresh oil change. Like one member said, it's a cheap precaution to take considering how costly engine repairs can be.

That said, it really is entirely up to you. :shrug:

+1 on 6 months.

Thanks Guys, The car was actually stored in my photo studio It was great got to look at it and tinker with it all the time, climate controlled. did start the car quite often, and did move it around the studio and shot it a bunch of times just didn't take it outside! I think I will change it and be safe... Happy motoring All, heres to a great summer of driving top down wind in whats left of my hair!