TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 v Viper SRT-10 v Vette Z06

mad103

Hey everyone,

Interesting comparison they did on tv. It was on Motorweek a week or 2 ago and now it is online to watch. Really impressive how the GT500 was able to do well. Here is the link.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/video/roadtests.shtml

Enjoy

Alex

:tequila:

Good job Alex, I'll leave my order alone and wait for the GT 500 at the price and performance!!! :yup:

What do you guys think of how a GT500 keeps up with the other two "super" cars? GT500 is heavier, 4 seats, smaller block, less aerodynamic, and cheaper! It should be competing against camaros/gtos and chargers/challengers but it just seems to be one-up better than them so they put it against Ford GT competitors.

Z06

0-60 : 4.0 sec

1/4 : 12.1 @ 121

Lap : 1.19.59

SRT-10

0-60 : 4.3 sec

1/4 : 12.4 @ 120

Lap : 1.22.84

GT500

0-60 : 4.5 sec

1/4 : 12.7 @ 113

Lap : 1.24.73

Thanks for the link , fun to watch. They had some nice things to say about it . To be compared with those other two which cost almost double compared to the GT500 says alot.

What they didn't say was that with very little modification to the Shelby it will become faster than those other two . It does need some help with the suspension though to be more competitive . ( ie: lowering springs and shocks)

Not a problem boys. Just glad I helped in making you guys even happier that you own a piece of power and history. My next attempt to make you all happy is to get my own GT500 so that we can share more legendary stories of how the COBRA ate the VIPER and had the GARDEN SNAKE :headscratch: (Z06 lol) for dessert :happy feet: . Lol

Good job Alex, I'll leave my order alone and wait for the GT 500 at the price and performance!!! :yup:

+1... Have mine and made the right choice. Much more bang for the buck. Even though the viper has a touch of Carrol Shelby involved, I prefer mu Shelby Mustang.

CB

+1... Have mine and made the right choice. Much more bang for the buck. Even though the viper has a touch of Carrol Shelby involved, I prefer mu Shelby Mustang.

CB

The Viper definitely does have a Carroll Shelby touch. And I guess you could say it is a modern day cobra...but not really anymore. It doesnt look it nor perform it. These new viper are too smooth/sleek. They lost their original plumpness and curves that the 2002 and before had, M2C

Alex

The Viper definitely does have a Carroll Shelby touch. And I guess you could say it is a modern day cobra...but not really anymore. It doesnt look it nor perform it. These new viper are too smooth/sleek. They lost their original plumpness and curves that the 2002 and before had, M2C

Alex

Good find - thanks for posting.

I sure would like to see the same test with the Shelby getting a say a 5-8K budget for mods. Just a tune would make a big diff. but I'd love to see them test the car after a pulley and intake kit and some susp. Not that the others can't be modded but at 5K ove mods you are still well below the others on cost...and I want to see the GT500 win :)

For those that say the GT500 costs alot less than those 2 cars must be on crack because majority are paying about 60-70k for a GT500. Remember the z06 costs about 65-75k and vipers can be had a great discounts, about 80k!

True. However, I believe most of us are referring to the MSRP. ADM is another thing. First off, Z06s will rarely go for that price out the door, at least here in NorCal, plus I do believe that they also have an ADM, just not as large as a Shelby. The Vipers are going for such because, sad to say, not too many people want one. So how do they get rid of them....price drop. The GT500 stickers at or around half the other 2 cars but because the car is so desirable, the ADM is so large. ADMs wouldnt exist if people were not willing to pay for them. But because they do, they wont be going away for a while. What does that say about the GT500...that it is that great of a car. Also, most people will look at the GT500 as a "normal" car considering it is based off of a Mustang vs the Z06 and Viper that are considered semi-exotic/"super" cars. Yet, on and off the road the GT500 grabs as much, if not more attention and praise than the other 2, especially the Z06 because it blends too much. The Viper is very exotic but yet the GT500 does grab enough or more attention. Do not get me wrong, I like all three and if I had the money, I would have them in my garage....well not so much the Z06, I'd rather jump into a Ford GT...Now we are talking. So in the end, sticker to sticker, the GT500 is better because it is way cheaper and near performance to the other two. All M2C.

"Remember the z06 costs about 65-75k "

Not anywhere around here. A no-option Z-06 is 85K. If you can find one.

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop 2dr Coupe

MSRP Price: 70,000

CarsDirect Price: $85,000

Pricing as of 03/13/07 in zip code 90505

For those that say the GT500 costs alot less than those 2 cars must be on crack because majority are paying about 60-70k for a GT500. Remember the z06 costs about 65-75k and vipers can be had a great discounts, about 80k!

Majority does not mean 'all' ............and I'm certainly not in the majority group either. For me, mine was $52 Can for the coupe, zo6 here in Ontario $102K........ still want to compare???

...........and remember, our 14% tax is double on the 102,000 vs 52,000.

Agreed. When I was in the decision making process, the Z06 was going to run $84,225 when loaded up, and that was from a friend with a dealership. I think your $85,000 listed above is right on the mark.

HSURB

Chuckstang - not to offend you, but the more of your posts I read on this board, I've come to the conclusion you're way FU*#IN' out there.

Good luck acquiring a GT500.

HSURB

P.S. - I try to stay away from Crack. :hysterical::hysterical:

Just FYI... in the Midwest Z06's are at MSRP or less. In fact, local paper here in MN (yes it's winter so that will affect it) had an ad for a new Z06 at $3000 under MSRP. I asked 3 dealers last fall (Sept/Oct time frame) and all said they'd sell me a new Z06 for MSRP.

Calif - good weather all year long and lots of folks wanting a warm weather car like this = higher prices.

Everyone here is talking about price. And it is pretty clear that, either way you look at it, the Shelby is cheaper. But you also have to compare the type of car. Shelby is a muscle car/pony car that should compete against camaros/gtos and chargers/challengers. The Ford that should be competing against the Z06 and Viper is the Ford GT...the semi-exotic/super/sports cars. Of course the Ford GT beats both. They are built with high tech, lots of hp and aerodynamics. Shelby is pure muscle, Without the high-tech and super aerodynamics, plus it has 2 rear seats, like the camaros and chargers. So it is a huge compliment for the Shelby to be put up higher in the ranks against Ford GT territory vs it being compared to its own territory of SRT8 and Future SS (camaro, not vette!) M2C

Alex :tequila:

Everyone here is talking about price. And it is pretty clear that, either way you look at it, the Shelby is cheaper. But you also have to compare the type of car. Shelby is a muscle car/pony car that should compete against camaros/gtos and chargers/challengers. The Ford that should be competing against the Z06 and Viper is the Ford GT...the semi-exotic/super/sports cars. Of course the Ford GT beats both. They are built with high tech, lots of hp and aerodynamics. Shelby is pure muscle, Without the high-tech and super aerodynamics, plus it has 2 rear seats, like the camaros and chargers. So it is a huge compliment for the Shelby to be put up higher in the ranks against Ford GT territory vs it being compared to its own territory of SRT8 and Future SS (camaro, not vette!) M2C

Alex :tequila:

+1

And throw a few grand at your Shelby, and it'll out perform the Z06 and Viper.

Tack on an additional 10-15 thousand on the standard ADM if buying a Z-06 or a Viper here in Hawaii.

Archived