TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Good Deal For A Fellow TS Member:

Why did you buy a Toyota Tundra over the many great American trucks to choose from?!? :club:

You didn't buy the wrong skidplate, you bought the wrong truck!! :finger::doh:

Set him straight Sean!

Sadly, There is all too many members out here that think parity in function and quality has not been achieved between US and Japan vehicles in identical markets.

I'll skip the part about being one butt ugly truck (grill design copied from the 1959 GMC tractor), however every time a car or truck from Japan is purchased by an American, our dollar and economy is diluted once again.

Guys, guys, guys....

Our fellow Texans down in SanAntone put my truck together. I will also remind you that Ford has stopped production of some model cars due to parts availability, (or lack there-of) due to Japanese unavailability. B)

Guys, guys, guys....

Our fellow Texans down in SanAntone put my truck together. I will also remind you that Ford has stopped production of some model cars due to parts availability, (or lack there-of) due to Japanese unavailability. B)

Oh the ignorance kills me!!!!

There are plenty of American vehicles available at the dealer lots if you bothered looking.

Guys, guys, guys....

First and foremost; You do not need to defend yourself for an opinion you state in this country - we all share that right!

However, this does not negate your conscious decision to purchase a foreign product. I'm disgusted by you creeps that Hide behind the fact that it was made here in the U.S. as if that offers you absolution - Get a grip!

The profits go to Japan (in this case) and never remain here. When Toyota invests in factories here, it only kills the local industry.

The Pick-up truck is a pure American invention and it's market place is based in North America.

Toyota is clearly trying to exploit that market by building a truck here that goes nowhere else.

Remember the T100? Didn't know what they were doing, did they... I rest my case.

Ford has Black and Red paint components back ordered from Japan, and GM has stopped product lines due to short supplies from Japan.

I can only hope some enterprising entrepreneur opens a factory here to make those parts. Thus bringing back our industry home where it belongs!

First and foremost; You do not need to defend yourself for an opinion you state in this country - we all share that right!

However, this does not negate your conscious decision to purchase a foreign product. I'm disgusted by you creeps that Hide behind the fact that it was made here in the U.S. as if that offers you absolution - Get a grip!

The profits go to Japan (in this case) and never remain here. When Toyota invests in factories here, it only kills the local industry.

The Pick-up truck is a pure American invention and it's market place is based in North America.

Toyota is clearly trying to exploit that market by building a truck here that goes nowhere else.

Remember the T100? Didn't know what they were doing, did they... I rest my case.

Ford has Black and Red paint components back ordered from Japan, and GM has stopped product lines due to short supplies from Japan.

I can only hope some enterprising entrepreneur opens a factory here to make those parts. Thus bringing back our industry home where it belongs!

+1 Just because it is made in America, you need to think about where the profits are REALLY going. Yes it's putting Americans back to work but is it really going to help the American market? NO! Because people are so stupid (no offence) and think just because it is made in America that is the cash is going towards our market. They just say on the commercials that it is made in America just to lessen the sin of buying a non- American vehicle.

now it is time to get my fortune teller on:

I see.........I see this thread going south very soon and all the mods will lock and delete the topic.

Ok I'm done here :speedie:

To every one bashing bikeboy.Were do you are more likely were does your wife shop? Is it Wal-Mart or Target?One buys every thing from china and the other is owned by the french.How about the clothing or the shoes that your wearing were are they made.What about the

fruit and seafood and your food that you buy from your grocery.A lot of that comes from other foreign countries.

Yes buying the toyota helps keep a American at work and that means a lot. Ford and GM (government motors) are buying parts from Japan because its cheaper. There won't be a enterprising entreprenuer opening shop becuse he could not make thoes parts cheaper here . the bottom line here is we are all buying products from China,Japan,and other foreign countries some of thoses countries don't even like us some might even be enemies.He spent his hard earned money on a product he felt was a better quality. Unless you can say that every thing you

buy is 100% American you have no credibility in criticizing bikeboy. :doh:

which explains the shortage of red paint on some ford models. true, true. I think cardude is trying to get to a point. regardless of what you buy, something has to be made in another country.

May I remind you where the GT500's transmission is built? :ohsnap:

Your right supersnake94 it up sets me when you have some trying to hook some up with a good deal and gets trashed for spending his money on somthing that he thinks is a better quality product.Like i said unless your buying 100% American

you have no credibility in criticizing.You are actually being a hypocrite.Look guys bikeboy was trying to help some one out and got jump on that's not right.The topic of buying American is a really good topic that needs to be talk about ,this was not the place to do it.

PS were was the transmission built?

…But All The Profits Go To Japan

This is a classic argument for people to “buy American,” but it really doesn’t make sense. First of all, it’s not true that ALL of the profits go to Japan. It's proven that a big chunk of Toyota’s profits stay in the USA. Secondly, so what if they do? Toyota earned $12 billion in profits in 2005 (Toyota’s most profitable year EVER), but that was only 6.3% of their total revenue. The amount of profit Toyota sends to Japan is SMALL in comparison to the amount of money GM, Ford, and Chrysler-Fiat are sending overseas for parts and labor!

If the Tundra has 80% domestic content and costs $35,000, than 80% of that money – about $28,000 – should stay in the US and Canada (give or take).

If the average F-Series costs $35,000, and only 55% of that truck is domestic content, then only $19,250 stays in the US and Canada.

While this is clearly an oversimplification, the fact of the matter is that buying U.S. manufactured vehicles with U.S. content is good for the U.S. economy…even if those vehicles are made by Toyota. Buying Fords, GMs, and Chrysler-Fiats manufactured in Mexico? That might not be as good for the U.S. economy as everyone seems to think.

btw my neck is red and i eat sushi, drink becks, wear nikes made in nam while coming from a military family that rode ep-3's and la class subs protecting my U.S. of A.

if medal of honor recipient daniel inouye (whos parents are from japan) choose and willing to serve in the most highly decorated unit of the u.s. army (442), and pow hero john mccain can forgive nam, i think at this age, just let it be. not saying u should forgive or anything but its alllll about the money these days. most big us corporation/business is allll about the bottom line. they careless about past history or patriotism, if they can turn a bigger profit outside of the usa, they will and have.

What a total lack of civility!

Quadcam WTF? Get off your soapbox. Do you know Chris? I'd say you should. Especially if you're going to call him a creep. Arggghhhh!!!! I hate the internet!!!!

Bet you woouldn't call him a creep to his face. But of course over the internet anyone is a tough guy.

Your right supersnake94 it up sets me when you have some trying to hook some up with a good deal and gets trashed for spending his money on somthing that he thinks is a better quality product.Like i said unless your buying 100% American

you have no credibility in criticizing.You are actually being a hypocrite.Look guys bikeboy was trying to help some one out and got jump on that's not right.The topic of buying American is a really good topic that needs to be talk about ,this was not the place to do it.

PS were was the transmission built?

The Tremec TR-6060 that is in the Shelby GT500 is produced in Mexico.

my source

No, all the profits do not go to Japan. Toyota along to every other major manufacture in the world is traded on one if not multiple markets therefor the profits go around the world. The idea of 'profits' in companies of this size is a misnomer because only a small fraction (relatively speaking) lands in some rich guy's pocket, foreigner or otherwise. It's invested in the company to build new products for the world to buy which creates jobs around the world. Yes, not only are Toyota's built in the states but many of their components are built in the States or outside of Japan.

We live in a world economy. The economy of the entire world is tied to the success and failures of all companies the size of a Toyota. If the Gov had not bailed out GM it would have been devastating to the auto markets in Europe, China, an Japan, not just the US. The failure of Toyota would cause te same effect. When the housing and banking industries in the US tanked you saw the effects to the rest of the world with entire counties going into bankruptcy. If Deutsche Bank, or the Bank of China had failed you would see the same ripple effects in the world markets.

The idea of only buying American is noble but misguided/misleading as there really is no 'Only American' products. There will always be some foreign componet, investor, stakeholder, lender, etc. involved somewhere with that product. At the very least, the 'profits' from that product will not be solely spent in the US.

Considering that both China and Japan hold the vast majority of the US Debit, you could say that you are not buying American when you pay Fed taxes.....

I'm not talking about spending a few bucks at Target or Walmart for your cheap shoes or knick-knacks here, I'm talking about our second largest purchase (other than your home) you can make: A motor vehicle. Why not choose to support an American company? It really doesn't matter so much where they are assembled but the company that designed and produced it. I really don't care that my trans was assembled in Mexico. Most of the thousands of dollars in the purchase of the vehicle goes to the manufacturer. Bottom Line. It may be a world economy but our economy here isn't going that well at this time. Why not buy from an American company? It's from our own. Ford sells more trucks in one month than Toyota does all year. Don't try to brainwash yourself into thinking that Toyota is the most "reliable," they have the most recalls. Just ask the thousands of Tundra owners that had to have their cams or frames replaced.

Edit: Maybe Bikeboy should post the Toyota parts for sale on a Toyota forum if he didn't want to attract criticism.

I'm thankful they haven't found a way to import homes yet. :doh:

I'm not talking about spending a few bucks at Target or Walmart for your cheap shoes or knick-knacks here, I'm talking about our second largest purchase (other than your home) you can make: A motor vehicle. Why not choose to support an American company? It really doesn't matter so much where they are assembled but the company that designed and produced it. I really don't care that my trans was assembled in Mexico. Most of the thousands of dollars in the purchase of the vehicle goes to the manufacturer. Bottom Line. It may be a world economy but our economy here isn't going that well at this time. Why not buy from an American company? It's from our own. Ford sells more trucks in one month than Toyota does all year. Don't try to brainwash yourself into thinking that Toyota is the most "reliable," they have the most recalls. Just ask the thousands of Tundra owners that had to have their cams or frames replaced.

Edit: Maybe Bikeboy should post the Toyota parts for sale on a Toyota forum if he didn't want to attract criticism.

Thats the problem the small things do add up.By the end of the year i bet you have spent as much money buying food and clothing as your car notefor that same year.I know with a family of five i sure do.

If this is something that feel so strongly about you need to expand your view point and take a stand against all foreign products. Or is it just easy to criticize the one big purchase.

And why should he buy a product that he felt to be of lesser quality?I buy local products when it makes sense.The local stores and the big domestic companes that i dont buy from need to step

up and produce better product or offer a better price point.

Fellas.....I am so sorry I have stirred the hornet's nest here. :(

I have been a member of this forum for a VERY long time, and have just recently began telling my wife of my discontent for the activity that has transpired of late.

To those of you who have very respectfully stood by my side here on this...(not that I need it...I'm a big boy)...I am grateful. There are ALWAYS a few people in every crowd. No biggie!

However, yes I spent my hard earned dough on a Toyota truck that was assembled in San Antonio Texas. I don't know of the % of parts content, and frankly never even looked? It doesn't concern me, because of the Global Economy that was aforementioned here so eloquently. Our homes are FULL of 'things' made in 'other' countries, as cardude mentioned. Most of you probably never even stop to think of that either? Sure, if you have infants, or small kids you may or may not look at toys that come over from China because of all of the ugly press over lead paint. But, for the most part we all go about our daily lives anymore buying things that are made elsewhere. It's just that the motor vehicle seemingly gets put on a pedestal because of it's enormous cost and the fact that it is our second largest purchase next to our homes. So, it draws alot of attention. And of course, since the melt down of the economy and moreover the melt down of the auto industry here at home...people are much more in-tune and much more sensitive to this whole issue of 'buying American'.

Thank you Peter, (jerseygator), for the kind words. Most of you don't know that Peter and I met this winter and have the same car. Peter knows what kind of guy I am and has so very nicely stated as such. Most of you also have NO IDEA that I was raised a Ford guy and have had over 100 cars and trucks. A tiny fraction of that 100 has been an import. I have had ten Mustangs and a miriad of other American made cars and trucks.

To those of you that 'hammered' me over this, probably 'ill-posted' thread...you also may or may not have read my thread earlier in the year, that I made a hearty and genuine effort to test drive all of the American trucks that I had interest in. The 2010-'11 F150 and 2011 F250 SuperDuty, and a few year old Dodge Ram. The Tundra wasn't even a thought, early on! Then, as I drove each and posted right here on our forum, my thoughts for each, I stated why I wasn't going to be able to lay out the dough for any of them. I couldn't pull the trigger for any of them for very good reasons. Frankly...that's MY business.....NOT any of yours! But I feel compelled to tell the tale now, after all of the crybabies have come out and bashed me. I only gave the Tundra a look, because I had not much else choice...I hate Chevy trucks. It was discounted $6500 for being a 2WD on a lot in Wisconsin. I found it on Ebay and never even drove one beforehand knowing full well that it would be a nice rig for just $19K!! I only need a DD and not an off-road Raptor type rig.

I am going in tonight and erasing the OP. I am going to take my ball and go home for a while. Frankly, the timing couldn't be better. I am closing on my new home tomorrow morning (Monday). I am going to be very busy now with Home Depot runs and such, and will be working down the 'honey-do' list for sometime to come. I will take a break from here for a while and try to gather my thoughts.

I love driving my Tundra, and I get tons of compliments on it, as they are very rare in regular cab form. A year ago a thread was posted on here asking what everyone drove when NOT driving their SHELBY. I noticed that there were alot of guys with Toyota trucks for their snow cars or beaters. Hence the reason for the thought that there may be a Tundra owner here that may need or want a great deal on a skidplate. I guess I took the brunt for all of you other Toyota owners here? Sorry for trying to be nice...

:shrug:

Each of you go to your cabinet pull out a can of beans or corn or friut and see where it was from. You will find that many products we buy in American groceries were imported from China.

If we all stopped buying goods from China we could also help the economy here in the US.

So start reading labels folks :redcard:

That depends on your perspective. Many of the builders in the states are owned in part if not in their entirety by foreign companies. In fact the home I own was built by a builder that was founded here in the States, but, that builder is entirely owned by a home builder located in the UK.

Sorry Bikeboy, I couldn't resist. :salute:

Bikeboy don't apologize for spending your money on a truck you felt was the best deal. Other people have no right to complain about how you spend your money. Now, if those other people were to give you the money to buy one of the so-called all-american trucks then that would a different story. So, ignore the other people who are obviously jealous of you for owning a new Tundra.

Just now am reading this thread....

wow...Im really disappointed.

I live in San Antonio, and guess what; I BOUGHT a Tundra, and I have 100k of trouble free driving. Oh, and I use it to haul my Shelbys. Im not gonna hide the fact I did this. It was a SMART decision for me locally. Toyota is single handedly responsible for more than 30k jobs in my hometown. Whats the shame in that? This plant provides over a billion dollars annually to our LOCAL economy. I dont give a rats you know what who some of you PERCIEVE own this company, it is a publicly traded company on a global market, just like Ford. Who cares who founded it, or where the headquarters is located? Toyota builds a great truck, and I'll park it in my driveway and run another 50k in work miles this year. And I will be comfortable and I know I can depend on it. Are Ford trucks any less dependable or comfortable? NO, and I want a Raptor eventually too, but that doesnt mean I cant be happy with my Toyota, or feel less american for buying it either. I have said it before, and will say it again- if you bring your plant here to my hometown and employee 8% of the working force, Im gonna support you. Thank you Chris for buying a Tundra! I love mine! The american people of San Antonio appreciate you!

What we have here is an ancient mindset that has absolutely no clue about global economy and how Toyota is technically just as American as Ford, with nearly 40% owned by institutions, corporations and individuals located in the US, as investors are free to own stock in any public company. As is with most foriegn public companies, americans own a great deal of publicly traded stocks across a wide spectrum of industries.

In other words- we have the money, buy the stocks, and that makes us the largest owner base of every public company in the world.

I only criticize buying a company that looses money, and that aint Toyota.

Well, what money is NOT going to us? If the assembly goes to American workers, all parts are foreign if you buy any make, and the profits are going to just about the same percentage of American stock holder with any manufacturers, where is the gaping hole of money you are talking about? A couple of executives in Japan? I'm okay with giving 5 or 10 thousand people jobs in Japan if it brings 30k jobs here. That's at least a 3 to 1 advantage, and my silly grad school economics I guess didn't give me the learning I need to understand your argument. And, it's nit buying American isn't really an argument, it's just a tag line that made economic sense in 1978, but is completely a joke in 2011. Don't worry about "American" companies. If they are good and doing good business practices and delivering what customers will pay for, they will do just fine. Take Ford- but let's put the shoe on the other foot.

Would you not have a problem with Europeans not buying any Ford or Ford owned brand because it is an American company? Or does that just work for here? (btw- many people in Europe owe their jobs to foriegn companies like ford and Toyota too for what it is worth)

Not ancient mindset but common sense. Your local San Antonio economy is doing well assembling Japanese trucks but what about the rest of America? No perception, just facts.

And back in the day, Detroit and a couple other great lake towns were doing great, but what about the rest of the country then? Dude, trickle down economy only trickles so far. I guarantee you San Antonio never benefited from success of the big 3. So where are the facts I'm missing? I seriously feel like there something you know that I don't, because I can't see where we are losing anything. Bill Gates has made billions on OS and productivity software, but if Microsoft was owned by an Asian or a Russian, would you be arguing that all of our money goes to the Asians or Russians even with Microsoft producing and staffing in the US? I hate to tell you this, but regardless of who gets the lion's share, that money doesn't really get spent. Gates is WORTH 40 billion, not made 40 billion but spent it all on movies and hot dogs. That money might as well be with king Solomon, because we will never see it. Who cares beyond that, because what I am stating is fact and REAL world economics.

Archived