TEAM SHELBY FORUM

what 350 stand for?

vanessalane

That's a well knwon story that dates back to the mid-60s. Shelby was looking for a name for his small block powered Mustang based sports car and finally asked the group how far it was from th eoffice to the shop. Someone replied about 350 feet, and that' where the name for all of the 'smaller' engine Shelby Mustang came from.

That's a well knwon story that dates back to the mid-60s. Shelby was looking for a name for his small block powered Mustang based sports car and finally asked the group how far it was from th eoffice to the shop. Someone replied about 350 feet, and that' where the name for all of the 'smaller' engine Shelby Mustang came from.

its interesting story thank you for reply

its interesting story thank you for reply

Part 2:

CS' explanation that the "350" did not stand for the engine size or horsepower: if it was a good car, the name wouldn't matter; if it was a bad car, the name wouldn't save it.

Class dismissed. B)

Part 2:

CS' explanation that the "350" did not stand for the engine size or horsepower: if it was a good car, the name wouldn't matter; if it was a bad car, the name wouldn't save it.

Class dismissed. B)

I think i ready somewhere that Shelby and FORD planned to build the GT500 and decided to build a small block car that had to have a number less than 500 (GT500) AND the above responce to 350 feet between the shop and office is how the GT350 got its name.

I am no expert, but I do research things on the internet.

The GT350 was conceived long before a big block car was ever thought of. The GT500 name came with the '67 model year and was given to the 428 PI powered car because is was a bigger number than anyone else had (i.e. 440,427, 396, 400, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I recall CS stating, "A car makes a name.... a name does not make a car". No truer words have been spoken in the automotive industry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived