TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American To Unveil 800 HP Super Snake In New York

robertlane

SHELBY AMERICAN TO UNVEIL 800 HP 2012 GT500 SUPER SNAKE AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

Team Shelby – Shelby American Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) will unveil its new Super Snake post title package for the 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 at the New York International Auto Show. With 800 horsepower, the Shelby GT500 Super Snake will be the most powerful American muscle car introduced at the show. In addition to the Super Snake, Shelby American will also display the limited edition 2012 Shelby GT350 coupe and convertible.

“Shelby American has a rich history at the New York International Auto Show,” said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. “The very first Shelby car was introduced there in 1962, as well as the 1968 and 2008 Shelby GT500KR and the 2006 Shelby Hertz GT-H. This year, we’re returning with one of the most powerful and important Shelbys ever built.”

Born on the drag strip and road course of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Shelby American and its partner Ford Racing, created an aggressive suspension and engine package that turns the Ford Shelby GT500 into a world class supercar. Even more power is available for the 2012 model year. There will be a limited production of Super Snakes available to customers starting May 1, 2011.

“With more horsepower, the 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake is a strong performer both on the road and the track,” noted Gary Patterson, vice president of operations at Shelby American. “This Super Snake will deliver the driving experience that enthusiasts expect from the Shelby brand.”

The new Super Snake post title package is one of the very few vehicles that generates up to 800 horsepower on pump gas. Not only is the high performance vehicle legal in 50 states, the unique, limited production supercar allows Shelby fans the opportunity to experience the power of one of America’s legendary muscle cars for under $100,000; this includes the Shelby Super Snake package and the GT500 base vehicle.

The 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake post title package includes:

* Ford Racing handling pack including dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars and front strut tower brace

* An optional Shelby / Eibach handling pack is available

* 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio and short-throw shifter

* The standard tune upgrades power to over 750 HP and 590 ft./lbs. of torque

* Optional Shelby / Kenne Bell 800 horsepower tune on pump gas

* Borla exhaust system

* Shelby-designed Alcoa 20-inch wheels in durabright or anthracite

* Forged Shelby / Baer brakes with 6 piston calipers and cross drilled / vented rotors

* Front brake cooling ducts and behind the door side scoops

* Unique fiberglass hood featuring classic Shelby design and pins

* Shelby signature Super Snake stripes in either matte black or matte white

* “Super Snake” vehicle badges and official Shelby CSM interior plate

* “Shelby” lettering across the rear deck lid

* Optional two tone leather interior

* Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components

Customers can build their dream Shelby Super Snake online with Shelby American’s new “Build-One” car building program by clicking here.

The 2012 Shelby GT350 coupe and convertible will also be exhibited at the Shelby American booth, #1325, during the New York Auto Show. The 2012 model year car is offered in two new body colors, Race Red and Kona Blue. Those interested in a Shelby GT500 Super Snake or Shelby GT350 should call (702) 942-7325 or log onto Shelby American.

Suggestion: This is getting very near the HP:weight ratio where the tires really and I mean REALLY matter. If you don't put some stickier tires on the rear you run a very high probability of making the car go sideways or backwards down the highway. I've seen (and nearly experienced with the Cobra) the condition of downshifting to pass and having the rear tires start to break loose. If you don't know how to handle it (push on the clutch real fast) you will experience the front and rear end swap in real time. It can be fun but not on the freeway.

This isn't even accounting for the downshift into a turn.

The correct rubber with this much power is mandatory.

Edit: I just found the reference (on the Cobra forum). The phenomenon is known as "Trailing Throttle Oversteer" and is described as "The front and rear switched ends in a flash on a down-shift to pass a slow moving vehicle." Power trains with lots of torque. It also happens when downshifting and accelerating into a turn. OK, the turn case I can understand, but the straight line one is really scary and unpredictable based on the temperature, tires and road.

"Front brake cooling ducts" on a 2012 ... hmmmmmm. So they exist. Why can't we get them for the '10 or '11 again????

They ARE on the '10 and '11 Super Snake.

These are the ducts I keep trying to get someone from Shelby to address but I'm either completely ignored or my post/question is deleted (as it was yesterday).

They are not the same as the '09+E SS "through-the-grille" ducts. They have duct inlets that sit just behind the front splitter and the opening faces downward supposedly in a "high pressure" area so air is semi-forced into the ducts.

I've seen them in person, on a red 2010 Super Snake at the Shelby HQ in Las Vegas NV.

I just can't get anyone from Shelby to tell me ANYTHING about them (i.e. will the be available to the GP, are they available via a different vendor or from a production car, etc.). I don't know what makes them so darn "secret" but my guess is that they may be available from a Aftermarket source and Shelby doesn't want folks to go out and buy their own (again, that is simply a *GUESS*)

They are nothing new for the 2012 SS as they've been on the Super Snakes since the first '10 SS was built.

Maybe you'll have better luck getting a answer than I have,

Phill Pollard

So, it's basically the same as the 2012 SuperSnake. Correct?

I still have a hard time figuring where the > $30K goes. I'd pay an extra $50 to have the side scoops deleted. They're tragic.

It *is* the 2010 Super Snake. It's just the Kenne Bell 800HP version that the are announcing.

As for the >$30 goes...I've built basically the same car for under $15,000 but actually went much farther than Shelby goes on a standard Super Snake.

I put a Whipple 2.9L polished supercharger on mine with the Ford Racing FR3 suspension, Shelby (Baer) 6S front brakes and rear Eradispeed brakes, Alcoa Dura-Bright rims (18" vs 20") PLUS CS Caster/Camber plates, CS K-member, CS A-arms, CS A-arm brace, CS swaybar links, CS bumpsteer tie rod ends, Shelby 8-qt. oil pan, MGW short-throw shifter, PST 1-piece Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, Ford Racing low profile rear axle girdle, CS adjustable panhard bar, CS panhard bar/body brace, Roush adjustable UCA's and LCA's, Roush adjustable UCA bracket, CS KR Axle reservoir, assorted Shelby engine bay caps and CS/Drake underhood bolt dress-up kit, Ford Racing Blue cam covers w/Ford Racing Billet Coil Covers and oil cap, Shelby SC Belt idler pulley, FRPP Headers, Roush Extreme exhaust system, Roush side splitters, and too many misc. other parts to even remember let alone list here.

I do NOT have a SS hood (yet, if I get one at all) or any of the Super Snake badging but to be more than honest, I don't like the SS Cobra all over the interior (to much "Cobra" IMHO). I will be able to get "Snake Wings" in the future if I so desire so essentially, I have a Super Snake once I add the hood and stripe. And since I'm not putting 20" tires on my car I do not require a 3.73:1 rear gear to compensate for the difference in wheel diameter (which is only a couple hundred bucks anyway).

And I did mine for under $15,000.oo (at this point).

To make a long answer short, you are paying between $15,000-$30,000 for the Shelby name/badging and the labor to install the "off the shelf" items that make-up a Super Snake.

I'm not at ALL belittling anyone that pays the price. That's a decision each individual makes. THIS individual did not agree with Shelby American's business decision (to NOT offer options of MY choice) so I decided to build my own, MY WAY.

To each his own,

Phill Pollard

These are the ducts I keep trying to get someone from Shelby to address but I'm either completely ignored or my post/question is deleted (as it was yesterday).

They are not the same as the '09+E SS "through-the-grille" ducts. They have duct inlets that sit just behind the front splitter and the opening faces downward supposedly in a "high pressure" area so air is semi-forced into the ducts.

I've seen them in person, on a red 2010 Super Snake at the Shelby HQ in Las Vegas NV.

I just can't get anyone from Shelby to tell me ANYTHING about them (i.e. will the be available to the GP, are they available via a different vendor or from a production car, etc.). I don't know what makes them so darn "secret" but my guess is that they may be available from a Aftermarket source and Shelby doesn't want folks to go out and buy their own (again, that is simply a *GUESS*)

They are nothing new for the 2012 SS as they've been on the Super Snakes since the first '10 SS was built.

Maybe you'll have better luck getting a answer than I have,

Phill Pollard

Phil,

Now that I'm on it, I'm sure Robert will respond in no time with ordering information .... well maybe..

:-)

Kind of like, "How would you explain the decision to usurp and expropriate GM bonholders' secured interest, Mr. President." - or the wake scene in Road to Perdition. :)

I'm not at ALL belittling anyone that pays the price. That's a decision each individual makes. THIS individual did not agree with Shelby American's business decision (to NOT offer options of MY choice) so I decided to build my own, MY WAY.

To each his own,

Phill Pollard

Now that is too bad Phil. Just a little longer and we could have and do build Super Snakes just as the customer would like them. Unless you want to do something really different with the stripes. :)

You also do not have the overhead we have nor all of the Super Snake build parts. Fair is fair.

And you are correct, to each their own.

Back on topic, Phil is correct they are on the vehicle and they are mounted under the front fascia. There is no secret on these. We make them in house and they are not available for retail sale at this time.

Roger

Whats the width of the rears?

With that much power it means nothing unless it can be put to the ground.

The issue has never been power. Its been getting the power to the ground.

The KR is "only" 580hp at the crank (based on stock dyno figures) and its challenging at best to get the KR to hook up even with the special Goodyear compound tires that came on the KR.

Just say'n.

Robert, Roger, or Gary,

For the people who are working the auto show, should we copy the description in this thread or will we be sent a script to learn / retain all the details on the Shelby's at the show?

Thanks,

Now that is too bad Phil. Just a little longer and we could have and do build Super Snakes just as the customer would like them. Unless you want to do something really different with the stripes. :)

<snip>

Roger

LMAO!

No one can ever accuse you of not having a sense of humor, Roger! <snicker>

Thanks for the chuckle,

Phill

We didn't delete any of your posts. Use your "My Posts" feature and you'll see that's it's still there ;)

Very nice. When you guys put one in the Vegas showroom I'll take a spin up there with my gt500 and have a look. Robert ,if you wanna have a quick race for pink slips let me know......

Chris

Suggestion: This is getting very near the HP:weight ratio where the tires really and I mean REALLY matter. If you don't put some stickier tires on the rear you run a very high probability of making the car go sideways or backwards down the highway. I've seen (and nearly experienced with the Cobra) the condition of downshifting to pass and having the rear tires start to break loose. If you don't know how to handle it (push on the clutch real fast) you will experience the front and rear end swap in real time. It can be fun but not on the freeway.

This isn't even accounting for the downshift into a turn.

The correct rubber with this much power is mandatory.

Edit: I just found the reference (on the Cobra forum). The phenomenon is known as "Trailing Throttle Oversteer" and is described as "The front and rear switched ends in a flash on a down-shift to pass a slow moving vehicle." Power trains with lots of torque. It also happens when downshifting and accelerating into a turn. OK, the turn case I can understand, but the straight line one is really scary and unpredictable based on the temperature, tires and road.

I have found that this is a nice tire/wheel combo for my Super Snake....................but this is just my opinion.

013.jpg

011-1.jpg

Shown above is a 12" Alcoa on the rear with a 325/30 Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. On the front is the 10" Alcoa that was originally on the rear, with a 275/35 Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. More grip in the rear, more grip on the front and still retaining the original Super Snake look. Of course my rear brake ducts had to be removed as well as the rear shock dust boots.

R

Archived