TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super charger tank cap blowing fluid

Hans

I have a stage two tune and am running the Ravens intercooler and raditor also upgraded tanks. The proplem is when I'm running my car hard in fourth to red line the cap spits fluid and it splashes my windsheild, like, burpes it out. Do I need a new cap? It is not over filled about a quarter below level of cap neck. It has only done this at the track and again last night passing three cars, glad the cops were not around. Engin not over heating. :headscratch:

So it's the intercooler cap that's spitting? I don't want to alarm you, but when the radiator cap spits and it's not a defective cap, that's the sign of a blown head gasket. Ask any diesel owner. What happens is pressure from the cylinders gets into the cooling system and backs it up through the cap. If it's the intercooler cap then I'd try the simplest fix and get a new cap. If that doesn't work have the system pressure tested.

Been there, done that. Failing intercooler pump or restricted hose. The fluid is boiling in the intercooler due to lack of flow.

I think it was you, but I'm not exactly sure. Have you stated previously that the Lightning IC pump is the exact same as those used on our beloved GT500's?

If yes, would this be the right one?

Tob

I don't have a problem with running around town and getting on and off of it, car always running cool temp wise. The dual fans on the intercooler are always running. Either the pump cuts out under high speed delevolping alot more heat and shuts off or maybe a relay cuts off the pump. I too have thought about just trying a new cap. For that matter why not just swap them? Their the same size. I'll be on track next month and I would like to fix this one issue. I could tie a clother around the cap and catch the fluid, at leaast it won't be on my windsheild.

Yes, that lightning pump will work fine, reuse the stock bracket.

If its boiling AT ALL, its a flow problem, not a cap problem. If the system is working, it does not even need a pressure cap as the fluid should NEVER rise above 200deg.

I repeat, you have a flow restriction somewhere or a failing pump.

Yes, that lightning pump will work fine, reuse the stock bracket.

If its boiling AT ALL, its a flow problem, not a cap problem. If the system is working, it does not even need a pressure cap as the fluid should NEVER rise above 200deg.

I repeat, you have a flow restriction somewhere or a failing pump.

Thanks for your thoughts

I ordered a new pump today and a cap just in case. I'll repost when the install is done and get a chance to run it hard again, or may have to wait for Sebring end of May too many cops around would be a very BIG ticket. I had the same problem last year too, off the back straight.

how long ago did you install Vans product? And have you had this issue ever since the install?

If so maybe the system never burped.

I have had this installed for two years now, I had a problem with it burping last year at Sebring alway after a hot run on the back straight. So I'd say yes had this problem after install, Van did the install himself with help. I would think by now any air pockits would be bled out.

Archived