TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Speed bleeders on Baer Extreme fronts

07SGT5687

So i can't remember where, but someone recently recommended to me to get some speed bleeders to greatly simplify the process of changing/flushing/bleeding brakes. Dully noted. I ordered some from O'Reilly and picked them up today. When to install them on the calipers and...

DSC00636.jpg

Notice anything odd about the threads? I called O'Reilly and they said they on appear to have one size thread on the speed bleeders. The Baer bleeders valves looks to be a thread size larger. Sooooooooo, no speed bleeders for these brakes? Or am I missing something?

BTW, BAER spec on the left... Speed bleeders on the right.

The correct size for the Shelby (Baer) Extreme is M10 x 1.5. You can get them in stainless or plated.

NOTE: Be sure to slightly ground the tip of the speed bleeder down like the manual bleeders that come with the Baer Extreme kit. Initially my speed bleeders leaked around the treads. I compared the manual bleeders to the speed bleeders and everything was the same except the kit bleeders were flat on the tips compared to sharp points on the speed bleeders. They were not seating properly because of the tips. I hit the points on the grinding wheel and never had a problem since.

The correct size for the Shelby (Baer) Extreme is M10 x 1.5. You can get them in stainless or plated.

NOTE: Be sure to slightly ground the tip of the speed bleeder down like the manual bleeders that come with the Baer Extreme kit. Initially my speed bleeders leaked around the treads. I compared the manual bleeders to the speed bleeders and everything was the same except the kit bleeders were flat on the tips compared to sharp points on the speed bleeders. They were not seating properly because of the tips. I hit the points on the grinding wheel and never had a problem since.

Thanks for the info. I did call Baer this morning to try and get s torque spec out of them too, but they just said snug... :headscratch: Oh well, "snug" it is.

And I see what you're saying about the length. Baer said the OE bleeders are 28mm and the M10 x 1.5 SB's are 30mm... so theoretically you'd need to take 2mm off the end... but not too much or else you'll run into the fluid reservoir of the bleeder. I take it you didn't get that far? I just hope it doesn't make that "wall" of the bleeder to thin on the end to where they could blow out the bottom. :headscratch:

Correction: it appears the different manufacturers are different lengths. None as short as I need so far though...

Speed Bleeder® - SB 1015 - M10 x 1.5 x 32.44mm

Dorman -12702 - M10 x 1.5 x 33mm

Russell - 639580 - M10 x 1.5 x 30mm

And all of them appear to have a point... anyone know of any other brands, that might be shorter or snub-nosed?

Got em from Summit... will be here tomorrow. Thanks again JER!

One more question... does anyone know how I tell what brake pads will work in this 6s's? I was at a few parts stores last night and none of them had a clue what size or whatever to order? Do I HAVE to order the Baer pads specifically?

• 8 months later...

Got em from Summit... will be here tomorrow. Thanks again JER!

One more question... does anyone know how I tell what brake pads will work in this 6s's? I was at a few parts stores last night and none of them had a clue what size or whatever to order? Do I HAVE to order the Baer pads specifically?

If you have the ability to take a pad with you to the parts store, take a looke at the Z06 Corvette pads. Reasonably sure they could work. Never have had the Baer calipers in my hands to look inside to see if they have six pads, each nested between two pads. Friends of mine have indicated the Z06 should fit a Mustang.

DrKSGT

• 5 months later...

What's the advantage of speed bleeders?

I have these brakes as well front & rear.

The pads size, I am not 100% sure, but if you're wanting Hawk pads, you can order online at Revan racing webstore with a pull down for the type of brakes you've got. He has the Hawk pads, and maybe a few other options. Just too lazy at the moment to head out to garage to pull the part no off my boxes...

Mostly want to know the big advantage of speed bleeders. Someone also said, that with these speed bleeders, when they fail you'll be the first to know. Any further elaboration on how these can lead to brake failure, which I'm sure is what was meant.

TD

After multiple uses, the thread sealant fails and they begin to leak. (they have begun including more sealant in the kit) As for the internal structure of the Speedbleeder, (spring and ball valve), I suppose this could fail eventually. The real advantage to these is you don't need a second person to "pump and release" the brake pedal, (you hook up a hose and container, open the valve, then pump the brakes yourself)

While I have these currently, I'm considering one of those vacum type bleeders so you don't even have to get into and out of the car!

Sam

After multiple uses, the thread sealant fails and they begin to leak. (they have begun including more sealant in the kit) As for the internal structure of the Speedbleeder, (spring and ball valve), I suppose this could fail eventually. The real advantage to these is you don't need a second person to "pump and release" the brake pedal, (you hook up a hose and container, open the valve, then pump the brakes yourself)

While I have these currently, I'm considering one of those vacum type bleeders so you don't even have to get into and out of the car!

Sam

Absolutely!

It's safer (no part breaking or getting loose) and cleaner (no brake fluid transferred into the car by the operator) to use a vacum bleeder.

Archived