TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KENNE BELL 3.6 DYNO RESULTS

Car made 720 RWHP / 640 RWTQ on VP MS103 Fuel, Ford GT Cams, 9.5:1 Compression, L&M Engines Purpose Built Road Race Engine pulled to 6,300 RPM, 17.5 degrees of timing, 15.5 -16.6 lbs of boost.

KENNE BELL 3.6LC with stock lower and 4" upper!

Considering the low timing and the low boost I was pleasantly surprised with these power numbers.

post-9206-0-29989800-1301874386_thumb.jpg

post-9206-0-33842900-1301874396_thumb.jpg

post-9206-0-29989800-1301874386_thumb.jpg

post-9206-0-33842900-1301874396_thumb.jpg

Car made 720 RWHP / 640 RWTQ on VP MS103 Fuel, Ford GT Cams, 9.5:1 Compression, L&M Engines Purpose Built Road Race Engine pulled to 6,300 RPM, 17.5 degrees of timing, 15.5 -16.6 lbs of boost.

KENNE BELL 3.6LC with stock lower and 4" upper!

Considering the low timing and the low boost I was pleasantly surprised with these power numbers.

You should be very happy with those numbers..The car should be a hoot to drive

looks great van, are you keeping the power at that level to be able to beat on it constantly on the track?

I'll likely pull the power down even further once I've gotten it weighed and corner balanced. Then I can figure out my maximum horsepower for competition. Not often you hear guys saying "I need to back the power down" but this will help with engine longevity and I am fairly aggressive on the road course.

Van wish you best this year at the track. I am a bit confused reading this thread tho. At 700rwHP you're already making about 100 less on the 3.6/103 built motor than you were on the 2.8/93 stock motor you were running 205 around Daytona with ...and you're saying you'll be backing it down further for engine longevity once you get the car set-up. This motor should be rather bullet-proof even at the higher levels, so is this due to a change in the class you'll be running in or...? Hope you're having fun!!

Van wish you best this year at the track. I am a bit confused reading this thread tho. At 700rwHP you're already making about 100 less on the 3.6/103 built motor than you were on the 2.8/93 stock motor you were running 205 around Daytona with ...and you're saying you'll be backing it down further for engine longevity once you get the car set-up. This motor should be rather bullet-proof even at the higher levels, so is this due to a change in the class you'll be running in or...? Hope you're having fun!!

At Daytona I was running a 2.8 with 93 octane, it was probably 86 octane because the detonation was so bad and I couldn't hear it. I was running in the mid 190's at Daytona that year. Then we built the new motor and went to Bradenton and did the comparison on C-16 and built motor between the two superchargers.

We then backed it down for the class I run which is NASA Time Trial Unlimited. Power to weight ratio has to 5.5 to 1 or I have to go to Time Trial Race which is basically unlimited power to weight and there are all sorts of cars running in that. It's just basically for classifying the car. It's sort of like a restrictor plate!! LOL

Thanks for the well wishes Dan.

VC

At Daytona I was running a 2.8 with 93 octane, it was probably 86 octane because the detonation was so bad and I couldn't hear it. I was running in the mid 190's at Daytona that year. Then we built the new motor and went to Bradenton and did the comparison on C-16 and built motor between the two superchargers.

We then backed it down for the class I run which is NASA Time Trial Unlimited. Power to weight ratio has to 5.5 to 1 or I have to go to Time Trial Race which is basically unlimited power to weight and there are all sorts of cars running in that. It's just basically for classifying the car. It's sort of like a restrictor plate!! LOL

VC

Van, Glad to hear you are getting back on the track! How about running the SVT event at VIR memorial weekend. We could have some fun w/a bunch of other Shelby's. Hope to see you there. If not we will burn up one of the FL tracks.

Take care my man.

BJ

VC

Oh, ok ...I thought you were hitting about 205 when you took Darkside around Daytona that time.

...yeah, I figured it was the same built iron motor that the SC comparo was done on ...

...so at 4000# and 5.5:1 the class limit would be 727rwHP ...so with car/driver/fuel you're sitting well under 4000# -- cool! :bandance:

Give 'em heck, Van.

Enjoy Van, and as always,stay safe !

Thanks M!

Nice numbers, Van!

Thanks.

Van, Glad to hear you are getting back on the track! How about running the SVT event at VIR memorial weekend. We could have some fun w/a bunch of other Shelby's. Hope to see you there. If not we will burn up one of the FL tracks.

Take care my man.

BJ

BJ, as much as I would love to hit VIR I've got a full slate of stuff for the month of May. When are you going to have the SS back down here so we can put it on the dyno?

Van

Oh, ok ...I thought you were hitting about 205 when you took Darkside around Daytona that time.

...yeah, I figured it was the same built iron motor that the SC comparo was done on ...

...so at 4000# and 5.5:1 the class limit would be 727rwHP ...so with car/driver/fuel you're sitting well under 4000# -- cool! :bandance:

Give 'em heck, Van.

Thanks Dan. I have to get the car weighed, aligned and corner balanced. Then I can figure out specifically where I need to be with the power to weight ratio. I don't really want to ride the edge of the horsepower rule and would rather have a little cushion in the event the rules committee decides to throw my car on a dyno or put a GPS system in the car to measure the power.

Rules, Rules, Rules!!

Thanks Dan.

VC

Thanks Dan. I have to get the car weighed, aligned and corner balanced. Then I can figure out specifically where I need to be with the power to weight ratio. I don't really want to ride the edge of the horsepower rule and would rather have a little cushion in the event the rules committee decides to throw my car on a dyno or put a GPS system in the car to measure the power.

Rules, Rules, Rules!!

Thanks Dan.

VC

Cool! Is the car lighter now? I thought you mentioned quite some time ago you were also considering an alloy block. Did you ever do that? ...can't remember, been a while. Under the 5.5:1 rule that'd be like a 20HP adjustment ...tho should help lap times overall.

Exciting stuff! ...need some on-trac pics! :)

Cool! Is the car lighter now? I thought you mentioned quite some time ago you were also considering an alloy block. Did you ever do that? ...can't remember, been a while. Under the 5.5:1 rule that'd be like a 20HP adjustment ...tho should help lap times overall.

Exciting stuff! ...need some on-trac pics! :)

Yep. I did it. Ford GT Wet Sump Aluminum Block has been installed. Also have the full 10 point cage so I have to get it weighed. I was under 4,000 lbs with the iron block so I don't know where I'm going to come out with all of the mods.

The car is so much more nimble steering wise with the aluminum block. It really feels different and handles amazingly.

I'm looking forward to the next track event which is scheduled for end of May right now unless something pops up that I can find the time to attend.

Yep. I did it. Ford GT Wet Sump Aluminum Block has been installed. Also have the full 10 point cage so I have to get it weighed. I was under 4,000 lbs with the iron block so I don't know where I'm going to come out with all of the mods.

The car is so much more nimble steering wise with the aluminum block. It really feels different and handles amazingly.

I'm looking forward to the next track event which is scheduled for end of May right now unless something pops up that I can find the time to attend.

Awesome, Van!! I had a ffunny feeling when you did the iron-block build that you'd eventually go to alloy ;) Can't wait for the pics in May!

Archived