TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitto NT05R on a Road Course

parshal

Has any one used this tire on a road course? I'm planning on using the Continental ExtremeContact DW on the front and the Nitto (stock '07 size) on the rear and run it on a road course. I'll have 630 - 650 HP at the wheels when I do so I want something with traction. It's either that or use the DW's on the rear as well. I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires I used for the winter and they stick very well so I'm thinking the DWs would be better but not nearly as sticky as the NT05R's. But, if the 05R's are going to get squishy in the corners I'll go with the DW.

Thoughts?

Given the nature of a road course and weight of your car, it is your front tires that are going to be getting the workout. On a road course you will rarely tap all your horse power (and it can often get you in trouble coming out of turns), so concentrate on the front. I am not an advocate of running different tires from to rear, let alone tires as different as the versions of Nitto and Continental you are contemplating. The Nittos would appear to be the better choice for all four corners. The Continentals will turn to mush well before the Nittos do. Another thought, is to run 275s on all four corners. That does a couple of things. First, it gets you more rubber up front where you need it. Second, it lets you rotate your tires from to back and all around (most tracks will wear one of your front tires much more than the other). A choice you may want to consider is Nitto NT-01 all around. They give you most of what the NT-05 gives you but with at least some tread. In the end, if you want the tires to be sticky, and still want DOT legal for the street, get GF Goodrich G-Force R-1 and run the same size at all four corners. Good luck with this and have fun at the track.

Jim

I think I should certainly mention that most of the driving the tires will get will be on the street with the occasional road course. It would be more hard street driving than anything else. I just want to be sure that I have good traction for all the HP.

The NT01 has the 275/40/18. The R1 would require me to go to a decently smaller tire than stock. Once I put on the FR3 suspension, lowering it another 1.5 to 2 inches would be pretty low. Wouldn't wider tires in the back give me more traction? It seems like my choices in the wider tires have the smaller sidewall. I'm guessing the wider tires won't give me as much advantage on a road course.

I've run the nitto 555R in the rear an the stock good year 285/40 in the front on road course at thunder hill an they worked fine but at the same time I'm no pro either. But in the straight away I was hitting 132mph

Archived