TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MT Boss Test

mullens

Just opened my May issue of Motor Trend and saw they tested a Boss.

4.0 0-60, 12.3/115.8 quarter mile, as tested price $43,485. Uses 285/35/19 P Zero's.

Yes I am impressed.

After seeing these numbers, I went down and checked one out at the dealer. The numbers are good, but honestly I was unimpressed after seeing the car in person. The Recaros are nice, but the wheels are NOT. They look like they were bought at Wal Mart, cheap. The interior is, well, plain. I know it's supposed to be a stripped down road racer, but no Sync, single CD player, etc. Maybe I'm just spolied with the Shelby.

Awesome huh? I almost wished I would of ordered a Laguna Seca instead of my 2011 PP especially since its only going to be a 2 model year run and only 500 Laguna Seca's a year would be really exclusive way more then my uber popular Ingot delete PP. Oh well I'm just as happy in my 2011 PP and I shouldn't have any problem keeping them in my rear view if I go with a Griggs watts link.

Just opened my May issue of Motor Trend and saw they tested a Boss.

4.0 0-60, 12.3/115.8 quarter mile, as tested price $43,485. Uses 285/35/19 P Zero's.

Yes I am impressed.

After seeing these numbers, I went down and checked one out at the dealer. The numbers are good, but honestly I was unimpressed after seeing the car in person. The Recaros are nice, but the wheels are NOT. They look like they were bought at Wal Mart, cheap. The interior is, well, plain. I know it's supposed to be a stripped down road racer, but no Sync, single CD player, etc. Maybe I'm just spolied with the Shelby.

I wonder what the GT500 would do with some P zero's instead of the F1 SuperCRAP tires would do. I believe they are comparable in price...

Just read that same mag waiting at the tire store today.

A new Boss 302 ran this the other day, with good tires and air:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-dragstrip-run_2229071.htm

Personally I'd rather have a GT500, if the Boss 302 was 35K it would be a different story.

With slicks!!! DUH!!

Just read that same mag waiting at the tire store today.

A new Boss 302 ran this the other day, with good tires and air:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-dragstrip-run_2229071.htm

Personally I'd rather have a GT500, if the Boss 302 was 35K it would be a different story.

Looks like nice cold weather with a good tail wind. Great weather to run in.

They really are two very different cars that appeal to a different target group. I was all set to order a Boss 302 and as more info came out about the car I realized it just wasn't for me. I enjoy having SAT radio, not available in the Boss. I enjoy my Shaker 1000, base radio only in the Boss. The new Shelby's have sync, and the NAV and my GIG is an awesome option, can't get in the Boss. No power seats either in the Boss. Also NO security system! Who the hell wouldn't want a security system in their Boss?

Visually the Boss, to me, looks awful. It really is an unattractive paint scheme. In the end there was just no way I could give up my 08 GT500 for the Boss. For sure the new Boss will run circles around my car but does it really matter? The next model mustangs will leave the Boss far in the distance, that's just the way the car industry is.

Oh, and over on Brad Barnett's forum a guy just had his Boss dyno'd, it came in at 360 RWHP. From many of the replies it seems like many can't believe it's so low. I think many were hoping that Ford was low balling the Boss HP of 440 and had deluded themselves to believe it would be closer to 500.

The Boss is the new kid on the block and so it's getting all the attention right now, which is just how it goes. I'm happy for the new Boss owners but I know I'll be happier driving around town in my Shelby. To me the Shelby was and always will be the top mustang.

I have said this before but it bears repeating. If your talking road course, the PP GT500 is on par wit the Boss. I drove a 11 PP at Vegas and was in the same speed group as the Boss 302S, the Falcon and the GT350. The new Goodyear tires are a vast improvement over the older stuff. Now, Im not talking about drag racing, Im not expert there. Be happy with your choice, you all bought one hell of a car

Looks like nice cold weather with a good tail wind. Great weather to run in.

It was exceptional weather and a well prepped track, but thats where internet times come from. You seldom see someone from Colorado's 1/4 mile times getting much attention :)

Impressive to say the least, from the second best Mustang. We all know that the only thing holding back the Shelby from easily beating a BOSS is tires.

I agree, I dont take those magazine 1/4 mile times on stock tires very seriously on cars that are very traction limited. So I search around to see what people really run with them with some decent tires.

If you look around there is a guy with slicks on an otherwise stock 2011 GT500 that ran 11.30s, then the same car on race stars skinneys/DRs ran 11.11 in good weather which is very impressive for sure.

But I doubt most buy a Boss 302 or GT500 for a drag car, lot of other much cheaper options out there if ETs are your goal.

They really are two very different cars that appeal to a different target group. I was all set to order a Boss 302 and as more info came out about the car I realized it just wasn't for me. I enjoy having SAT radio, not available in the Boss. I enjoy my Shaker 1000, base radio only in the Boss. The new Shelby's have sync, and the NAV and my GIG is an awesome option, can't get in the Boss. No power seats either in the Boss. Also NO security system! Who the hell wouldn't want a security system in their Boss?

Visually the Boss, to me, looks awful. It really is an unattractive paint scheme. In the end there was just no way I could give up my 08 GT500 for the Boss. For sure the new Boss will run circles around my car but does it really matter? The next model mustangs will leave the Boss far in the distance, that's just the way the car industry is.

Could not have said it better myself. You're right on target Whammer.

The wife and I saw the twin to the test car at the Vancouver autoshow today.

DSC_0054.jpg

The twin to this car (Orange/black) is sitting on the Showroom floor at Phil Longs/Motor City Ford in Co. Springs, CO right now.

I was told that they have a Boss LS and a GT350 coming in real soon too (within the month). There is also a Black (w/stripe delete) GT500 Coupe on the floor and I gotta tell ya, it looks rather bland sitting next to the Boss 302 with a Roush Triple Black Stage 2 sitting across the room from it and a Black w/Sliver Roush 5XR next to the Boss.

My "first impression" was....it doesn't look like anything special (the Black GT500). Absolutely NO difference from the '11 they had in there last time I was in and without any stripes on it, it just looked like another Mustang sitting there.

I *AM* going back without the wife to look at that Orange Boss 302....It has "the Red Key" and fully adjustable Struts and shocks on it (they appear to be the FR3 dampners). The SVT Sales Mgr. said he didn't like the color. I LOVE the color. It takes me back to the original "Grabber Orange" Ford & Mercs (same color as the Orange Cougar Eliminator).

If you get a chance to see one up close and personal, TAKE IT. Picutres DO NOT do this car justice.

I'm just trying to figure out how to fit two Mustangs into my already cramped garage. It looks like it might be time to sell my Harley's, Dirt Bike and Sailboat!!!

I'm impressed,

Phill

There is also a Black (w/stripe delete) GT500 Coupe on the floor and I gotta tell ya, it looks rather bland sitting next to the Boss 302 with a Roush Triple Black Stage 2 sitting across the room from it and a Black w/Sliver Roush 5XR next to the Boss.

+1

That's what I keep on telling people that its suppose to look flashy and not like a boring old Mustang. Most people dont get it, and I'm glad you can look right past a GT500 and admire the looks of the Boss.

Oh, and over on Brad Barnett's forum a guy just had his Boss dyno'd, it came in at 360 RWHP. From many of the replies it seems like many can't believe it's so low. I think many were hoping that Ford was low balling the Boss HP of 440 and had deluded themselves to believe it would be closer to 500.

The Boss is the new kid on the block and so it's getting all the attention right now, which is just how it goes. I'm happy for the new Boss owners but I know I'll be happier driving around town in my Shelby. To me the Shelby was and always will be the top mustang.

Something wrong with that story. I've seen two other stock dyno sheets on the new Boss in private owners hands tested by indy shops. Both cars topped out at the identical number of 416 which puts the actual flywheel level in the high 4's.

Something wrong with that story. I've seen two other stock dyno sheets on the new Boss in private owners hands tested by indy shops. Both cars topped out at the identical number of 416 which puts the actual flywheel level in the high 4's.

Nothing is wrong with the story. If you read his posts carefully you will see that it was on a Mustang Dynomometer at Evolution; Lund was doing a custom tune for it. You can't compare dyno numbers from one day to the next, much less from two different manufacturers.

All of the bad-mouthing and off-hand slams I've been reading from GT500 owners about the Boss (especially on this forum) ironically remind me of the cr@p that the Terminator owners were flinging all over the internet when the GT500 was first released............... :finger:

My question for you, svttim, is whether you think the PP GT500 will be able to hang with the Boss after 10 laps at 9/10ths driving at Hallett in late June with ambient temp's at or near 100 degrees?

That and a "near neutral" balanced car are the two main draws for me when it comes to the Boss. Will it beat my Griggs car on a single best lap time? I don't know yet. But I'm sure it will beat a 10 lap average in the summer.

Bottom line is they're two different cars for different purposes. There are things I like about the Boss, and things I don't care for. Same with the GT500. Each has its own attributes. I would own either one in a second. The big winner is Ford for thinking out of the box and one-upping the competition.

Just a quick note regarding the red key, all the Boss cars come with two keys, the regular black/grey and the black/red key. However, the red key tune is not yet released, it will be sometime early this summer (I hope) and than for an extra $302 you can go get the red key tune on the key/car.

As for how they compare, well yes they are two very different cars, I do not think the Boss was ever meant to be a replacement to the GT500.

Testing is really in my opinion very subjective, even the same driver testing the same car at different times of the day is going to get slightly varying results, changes in driver fatigue, temperature and humidity is going to give slightly different results as the day progresses. While not perfect I kind of liked this write-up here:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2011/2011-ford-mustang-track-shoot-out.html

And I have to agree with points made by just about everybody here, I love my GT500 with all the bells and whistles, but as a track car I think the Boss is perhaps a better marathon car, there will be no issues with heat soak for example.

Of course if you cannot decide you can always start down the Junior Jay Leno route and get both.

Just a quick note regarding the red key, all the Boss cars come with two keys, the regular black/grey and the black/red key. However, the red key tune is not yet released, it will be sometime early this summer (I hope) and than for an extra $302 you can go get the red key tune on the key/car.

As for how they compare, well yes they are two very different cars, I do not think the Boss was ever meant to be a replacement to the GT500.

Testing is really in my opinion very subjective, even the same driver testing the same car at different times of the day is going to get slightly varying results, changes in driver fatigue, temperature and humidity is going to give slightly different results as the day progresses. While not perfect I kind of liked this write-up here:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2011/2011-ford-mustang-track-shoot-out.html

And I have to agree with points made by just about everybody here, I love my GT500 with all the bells and whistles, but as a track car I think the Boss is perhaps a better marathon car, there will be no issues with heat soak for example.

Of course if you cannot decide you can always start down the Junior Jay Leno route and get both.

+1.

They are totally different cars. One is a muscle car street bruiser. capable of 550+ hp easy with creature comforts. The other a finely sharpened track scalpel.

In the video track test on the other thread the GT500 beat out the Boss by .02 seconds. Admitteldly it was very close but not bad for an old war horse whose sole purpose isn't racing at the track.

Awesome huh? I almost wished I would of ordered a Laguna Seca instead of my 2011 PP especially since its only going to be a 2 model year run and only 500 Laguna Seca's a year would be really exclusive way more then my uber popular Ingot delete PP. Oh well I'm just as happy in my 2011 PP and I shouldn't have any problem keeping them in my rear view if I go with a Griggs watts link.

I thought the Laguna Seca was 750 per year for the 2 years. 1% of all Mustangs being produced from the order guide.

I think one thing we are missing when we compare the GT500 to the BOSS is that there is another mustang that the BOSS handily stomps. The GT350. Amazing that a car with 624bhp is getting out-performed in every way by one that supposedly has 444, based on the same "host" car. Especially when it's some kind of special edition vs. a production car from Ford. Very impressive on Ford's part, not so impressed with GT350, at 2/3 more the cost.

Archived