TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Prices due to increase

jwhite1967

It's not about where tires are made. The problem is a key rubber component that Japan manufactures will be in very short supply. They produce 90% of the worlds production of this component.

Even if the tires you buy are not made in Japan? What did you hear? Doubling is pretty significant.

Jim

Even if the tires you buy are not made in Japan? What did you hear? Doubling is pretty significant.

Jim

I did a quick search on "tire prices" and found the following link: http://www.moderntir...e-increase.aspx

it looks like alot of the manufacturers are raising their prices as of today. Here is a snippet of one of the links:

Consumer

* Michelin North America will be increasing prices up to 8.5% on Michelin, BFGoodrich, Uniroyal and private and associate passenger and light truck replacement tires sold in the U.S. The prices will go into effect May 1. Michelin also raised prices on Feb. 1; the increases varied by product line.

(Michelin also announced it was raising Michelin and BFGoodrich passenger and light truck winter replacement tires sold in Canada by up to 7% on April 1.)

* Nexen Tire America Inc. will raise tire prices up to 8% effective April 1, 2011. The increases will be applied to warehouse orders and April FDC production. Nexen also raised prices "up to 8%" on Jan. 1.

* Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. increased prices on passenger and light truck tires by an average of 8%, with in-line adjustments, effective March 1.

* Hankook Tire America Corp. will increase prices on its full line of passenger and light truck tires by a weighted average of 7%. The increases will go into effect April 1.

* Cooper will raise prices on its light vehicle tires effective March 15. The increases in total will average around 8% to 9%, with in-line adjustments.

* Continental Tire the Americas LLC will raise consumer tire prices in the U.S. up to 6%, with some in-line adjustments, effective April 1.

* Federal Corp. raised prices on its passenger and light truck tires by up to 12% effective March 1. The percentage increase varied by product lines and continents. There also were in-line adjustments for all onward orders and remaining back orders.

* Yokohama increased prices by up to 8% on all of its consumer tires effective March 1, 2011.

* Kumho Tire U.S.A. Inc. raised prices on all passenger, light truck and medium truck tires effective March 1. Kumho says the details of this increase will be provided to its customers in the near future.

* Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. raised consumer tire prices on March 1. The increase, up to 6%, applied to all brands in the U.S. and Canada.

* Falken Tire Corp. also raised prices on March 1. The price hikes on Falken passenger and light truck tires ranged from 5% to 8% depending on the size, with in-line adjustments as needed.

* Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations LLC will raise replacement and original equipment consumer tire prices one month later, on April 1, The increases on Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand passenger and light truck tires in the U.S. and Canada will vary up to 8%.

I bought a set or tires literally yesterday. I guess, for once, my timing was good.

Jim

What kind did you get? Are they "summer" tires or all weather.

I'll be needing all weather tires some time around fall I figure.

My '07 is my daily driver.

Tires aren't the only thing that will be seeing hyper-inflation soon...thanks to those in charge....

It is my understanding that because of the situation in Japan tires prices will double soon. If you are in the market for tires I would buy them soon.

Do you have a reference for "Japan" and the increases listed? I can't find a single reference to any connection.

A number of tire companies we deal with raised prices today, and those that didn't had price increases over the last 30-60 days. Don't blame Japan, thank the US Gov't. There are tarriffs that have been in place for imported tires for some months and this is giving non-import tire makers a chance to push their prices up as well. It was supposed to do away with the 'cheap' tires that have been coming in from China and giving domestic makers a chance to be competitive. Instead they've raised thier prices as well, so the imports are sill cheaper, just not cheap.

This is great news.... with gas prices rising too... :banghead:

:ohsnap:

The interest rate on my 200K second mortgage line of credit is 2.75% variable but I can lock one "withdrawal" at a constant rate that won't change. Payment rate is based on a 15 year amortization. I should take it all out right now and invest it in a money market. Pretty soon they will be back at 5-6%. Or I should just go buy the Ford GT.

The interest rate on my 200K second mortgage line of credit is 2.75% variable but I can lock one "withdrawal" at a constant rate that won't change. Payment rate is based on a 15 year amortization. I should take it all out right now and invest it in a money market. Pretty soon they will be back at 5-6%. Or I should just go buy the Ford GT.

That's a tough one. A Ford GT. :yahoo:

Tony, you better get you an FGT soon... life is pass'n us by!!!

:happy feet: :shift:

Archived