TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electric Steering Scare Yesterday

DHFB

I was driving my car yesterday on a spirited effort to clear a P0315 code when I turned a sharp corner and heard what I would describe as a power steering pump failure. It made this noise for about a minute or two and my steering wheel felt like a force feedback wheel on a Xbox 360; the further I turned the wheel the worse the feeling and the sound got. Well, in the spirit of learning, and the hope of replication, I turned the same corner again, but harder, and sure as heck it happened again except this time I could not steer the car at all for a few seconds..... Scary!!! I took it to the dealer and they said after some research that "this is a known issue on 2010 and 2011 Mustangs built before X date". They informed me that my Rack needed to be flashed and all would be good with the world. What I understand happened is that the electric motors that control assist fell out of calibration essentially fighting each other over left or right assist. I will add that my steering has always felt quirky since the day I got the car but after they flashed it I feel like I am driving a much better car. If you have a 2010 or 2011 GT 500, and have experienced something similar to this, I would reccomend you get to the dealer and have your rack flashed.

I was driving my car yesterday on a spirited effort to clear a P0315 code when I turned a sharp corner and heard what I would describe as a power steering pump failure. It made this noise for about a minute or two and my steering wheel felt like a force feedback wheel on a Xbox 360; the further I turned the wheel the worse the feeling and the sound got. Well, in the spirit of learning, and the hope of replication, I turned the same corner again, but harder, and sure as heck it happened again except this time I could not steer the car at all for a few seconds..... Scary!!! I took it to the dealer and they said after some research that "this is a known issue on 2010 and 2011 Mustangs built before X date". They informed me that my Rack needed to be flashed and all would be good with the world. What I understand happened is that the electric motors that control assist fell out of calibration essentially fighting each other over left or right assist. I will add that my steering has always felt quirky since the day I got the car but after they flashed it I feel like I am driving a much better car. If you have a 2010 or 2011 GT 500, and have experienced something similar to this, I would reccomend you get to the dealer and have your rack flashed.

The 2010 doesn't have electric steering. The tech is confused. The electric steering started with the 2011 model...

However, happy to hear you got it taken care of.

The 2010 doesn't have electric steering. The tech is confused. The electric steering started with the 2011 model...

However, happy to hear you got it taken care of.

You know what... I knew that and did not think it through! Thanks for the correction and now that I think about it he might have said 2011 Mustangs built before X date in 2010. Sorry for the confusion.

If Microsoft Built Cars

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

-> 3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine. :hysterical:

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. All car buyers would be required to purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more.

12. Every time a new model is introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

Incomplete description:

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would cost ten times more and run on only five per cent of the roads.

In addition, the car would require an app from the iTunes store each time you used it.

If Microsoft Built Cars

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

-> 3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine. :hysterical:

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. All car buyers would be required to purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more.

12. Every time a new model is introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

Clearly written before Windows 7

If Microsoft Built Cars

This was the best... you had me ROFL

Archived